• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Breaking News, 1 Dead 4 injured at Port Orchard Wal Mart

Jephz0r

I'm fairly certain the call was initiated by the man in question acting out. I open carry practically everywhere I go, except a couple of places to be quite honest. I've gotten gruff from Taco Bell and Walgreens twice, that's about as far as it goes.

There's a wal-mart off bridgeport in Lakewood / University Place border that I regularly go to. I always carry openly in there and nothing is said to me, just a question or two asked once in a while.

The suspect had to have been acting very odd or erratic. It would only make sense that something didn't quite fire right in his brain. Opening fire at Police was definitely the wrong move, but this is what happens when the wrong people get a hold of firearms. I honestly doubt Wal-mart is going to start banning firearms being carried due to a couple of bad apples. The vast majority of people who openly carry firearms aren't looking for trouble nor want any. This is probably another case where the suspect in question will probably end up having felony convictions or a psychiatric record.

I worked at Western State Mental hospital and I can tell ya quite a few of the patients there talked about guns a lot. Would make sense if that were the case, but as details are revealed we'll know more I guess. What little info we have now will be all we have to go off of for the time being. The truth is always revealed.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Wal-Mart may not remain the "gun friendly" corporation they have been so far. In the last 6 days this makes incident #3 with gunfire at Walmarts. Kissimee , FL; N. Las Vegas, NV; and now this. Add the October shootout in Reno at a Walmart.

It is likely when open carrying around this area for a while will draw undue attention, be good stewards.

Batousaii

Heya Jeph, Welcome aboard. ~ I agree 100% with your statement. Something had to have been out of sort for this character, why were the police contacting him in the first place, i doubt it was regarding the gun (i also presume it was concealed).

- BigDave, Yes sir, i always do mybest to be a good ambasador, friendly and aproachable, as well as diplomatic. It is my general nature to do so, but a little extra effort when I am OC is good practice.

I hope all is ok for the officers.

Jephz0r

Heya Jeph, Welcome aboard. ~ I agree 100% with your statement. Something had to have been out of sort for this character, why were the police contacting him in the first place, i doubt it was regarding the gun (i also presume it was concealed).

- BigDave, Yes sir, i always do mybest to be a good ambasador, friendly and aproachable, as well as diplomatic. It is my general nature to do so, but a little extra effort when I am OC is good practice.

I hope all is ok for the officers.

Thank you. I'm sure it wasn't concealed if the call was about him having a gun in the first place. I have an odd feeling he was brandishing and/or showing open exhibition of firearms (the unlawful exhibition of course), in which case it went from casual open carry to brandishing real fast. If he was running from the police then I am assuming a warrant or a felony conviction prior was found on him and he got scared. I can't speak 100% on the subject since I have very limited detail on the shooting, but with the information we do have about it, it would seem that he was acting awry. If you act what society would deem as "stupid," then you are definitely going to draw attention. Casual carry usually isn't called in to police often around this area at least. Kitsap County does harbor a lot of the meth users. I was previously engaged to a girl who lived in the Kitsap area in Bremerton, and the vast majority of people I met out there were drug addicts and the main drug of choice was either Marijuana or Methamphetamine, so chances are he could have been tweaked as well. I'm sure the autopsy will reveal more as well as the investigations. One can only hope that it wasn't someone just open carrying and being quick to squeeze a trigger finger.

Beretta92FSLady

I hope the officers recover...they should be wearing their vest's...I have seen officers who do not:eek:

The article read(e) as if the teenage girl was running towards the scene, not away, am I wrong? I wonder if she was related to the man. I am glad they put the guy down before he got off more shots.

All you OC'rs in that area, keep it extra safe over in that neck of the woods for a little while. Officers are going to be on edge.

Jephz0r

That wouldn't be kidnapping in all honesty then. That would more likely be harboring a runaway which is also a very serious crime in WA.

Since I have learned that he had it concealed, I am going to assume for the time being (until more information is released), that he did not have a concealed license.

From what the Officer had said during the briefing where questions were answered and asked of course, he stated he didn't know much about anything, but he certainly knew that shots were fired and he didn't know if the man had been concealing it or brandishing it. This doesn't answer enough questions for my taste, but as he did state the WSP would be taking over the investigations and further release of information would come from them.

This does create a lot of unwanted attention to not only Open Carry members / people, but also to concealed pistol carriers. I would say given the running track record in the last week or two, being on our toes would be a good thing. However, I'm hoping that openly carrying a firearm now wont generate unnecessary hostile action towards us from Police's end. Although, with the circumstances and more officers being wounded, I would say it's likely to cause dilemma for a while. I hope the bad tidings will blow over soon, and I do hope the officers heal quickly.

bikemutt

I must have missed something in the links. It sounds like the reason the cops were called in the first place is people reporting a suspicious man with a gun in the store or thereabouts. If he was carrying concealed he must have done a poor job of concealment. :eek:

Tomas

...and since he had plead guilty to kidnapping a minor back in November (and transporting across state lines) I have to assume that he was probably a felon (this was not his first conviction - he had a fairly long record) in possession of a firearm.*

We'll just have to wait for details to surface...

* Why wasn't he in jail?

Squeak

...and since he had plead guilty to kidnapping a minor back in November (and transporting across state lines) I have to assume that he was probably a felon (this was not his first conviction - he had a fairly long record) in possession of a firearm.*

* Why wasn't he in jail?
He was out on bail.

Beretta92FSLady

* Why wasn't he in jail?

From what I have read(e) he was arrested in California, and then posted 25k bail. He might not have been convicted yet...you know the court system, nice and slow--especially in California where they are probably letting more people out than taking in.

As far as him being with the 13 year old girl...back in the day, in Utah, it was not considered a violent crime to molest a child. So, maybe they deemed him a non-violent offender and let him bail...or maybe they just let him bail, regardless of why he was in there.

California doesn't take care of the criminals that they arrest, so Washington state has to. It is unfortunate the girl was killed. As for the guy, well, I will be sleeping a little bit better this evening (even with a really bad cold).

JoeSparky

Centurion

* Why wasn't he in jail?

I suspect he was in company of THE SAME GIRL.... Positive ID to follow!