Thread: Nics pin#

Nics pin#

Does anyone have a NICS PIN, and if so how hard was it to get. I heard that they don't like to give them out and they do not advertise anywhere the process to apply. I called and requested an application. The woman I spoke with said she was sending one out. About 3 weeks later I received an application to file an appeal on a denial. Not what I asked for. Intentional?

Do you get delayed or denied when you fill out the 4473 when purchasing a gun? You may have a name that is similar or the same as someone who is prohibited from purchasing a firearm, and this is what causes the delay. A PIN would be issued to you (if you requested) to help identify you, set you apart from the similarly-named person who is causing the problems. If you are not delayed or denied regularly, I see no reason why they would issue you one, as it really would serve no purpose other than allowing you to fill out one more box on the 4473.

Sometimes I get delayed a day or two, and other times I get the "proceed" right away. I cant figure them out. But yes, thats why I want the pin. The last two pistols were delayed, but i bought two rifles in between, that were "proceed".

I show my Texas CHL and don't have to bother with NICS.
    The thing about common sense is....it ain't too common.
    Will Rogers

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
    I planned on getting a PIN# because I have had a delay after delay, and none have been for less than 10 days since the system started! It does not matter if it is for a long gun or a handgun. And in WI, there is an additional 48 hour wait after the NICS proceed comes through. So My last handgun purchase took a little over 2 full weeks!

You will be sent a pile of paper work, and you will need to get fingerprint cards done at a local law enforcement office at your cost, some places do them rather cheaply, others look at it as solving their budget deficit and charge quite a bit.

There are no similar names to mine, I checked! I just always get delayed and it sucks!

FYI: if you are "delayed" more than three days without being "denied", the FFL can let you take the gun home if he chooses to do so. some will and some wont. NICS only have three days to deny you.
    Last edited by ronmanci; 01-24-2011 at 01:29 PM.

Delays are quite common for some of the reasons above. I doubt you'll get a PIN just for a delay..Maybe repeatedly. They are usually issued for denials that turn out to be erroneous.I bought 3 glocks no problem Bought an 870-delayed.

look here:

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/nics
    Last edited by swinokur; 01-24-2011 at 03:11 PM.

last pistol i bought from Gander Mtn., which I imagine must do more 4473's than most. the salesman told me it has a lot to do with the time of day and day of the week. he said nics is understaffed and if your app is received on the weekend or after 5 during the week, the chances of it getting delayed are pretty good, about 50/50.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmanci View Post
    last pistol i bought from Gander Mtn., which I imagine must do more 4473's than most. the salesman told me it has a lot to do with the time of day and day of the week. he said nics is understaffed and if your app is received on the weekend or after 5 during the week, the chances of it getting delayed are pretty good, about 50/50.
    Absolutly not true. I sold guns for Cabelas for a year, and time of day had absolutly no effect on delay/denied. I worked mostly weekends and after 5, being in school. Those shifts didn't see higher numbers of delays, and definatly not 50/50

I have neither found a link online nore have I seen one posted on this thread.

I did find this, posted on the Oklahoma Shooters website back in 2008:

Get delayed more often then not? Contact the FBI N.I.C.S Operations center and they will mail out a request form for the PIN #

When Filing out the 4473 form, if the buyer has this special pin #, then they will no longer experience delays. The pin # goes right to the buyers History.

The FBI N.I.C.S operations center number is (304) 625-2750

ETA: My bad! swinokur provided the link:

Quote Originally Posted by swinokur View Post
    Looks like one has to be a federal firearms licensee. More detailed information about the process, delays, and proceeds is found on the fact sheet on th FBI's website.
    Last edited by since9; 01-29-2011 at 03:22 AM.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.