• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Nics pin#

ronmanci

Does anyone have a NICS PIN, and if so how hard was it to get. I heard that they don't like to give them out and they do not advertise anywhere the process to apply. I called and requested an application. The woman I spoke with said she was sending one out. About 3 weeks later I received an application to file an appeal on a denial. Not what I asked for. Intentional?

Bowers

Do you get delayed or denied when you fill out the 4473 when purchasing a gun? You may have a name that is similar or the same as someone who is prohibited from purchasing a firearm, and this is what causes the delay. A PIN would be issued to you (if you requested) to help identify you, set you apart from the similarly-named person who is causing the problems. If you are not delayed or denied regularly, I see no reason why they would issue you one, as it really would serve no purpose other than allowing you to fill out one more box on the 4473.

ronmanci

Sometimes I get delayed a day or two, and other times I get the "proceed" right away. I cant figure them out. But yes, thats why I want the pin. The last two pistols were delayed, but i bought two rifles in between, that were "proceed".

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
I planned on getting a PIN# because I have had a delay after delay, and none have been for less than 10 days since the system started! It does not matter if it is for a long gun or a handgun. And in WI, there is an additional 48 hour wait after the NICS proceed comes through. So My last handgun purchase took a little over 2 full weeks!

You will be sent a pile of paper work, and you will need to get fingerprint cards done at a local law enforcement office at your cost, some places do them rather cheaply, others look at it as solving their budget deficit and charge quite a bit.

There are no similar names to mine, I checked! I just always get delayed and it sucks!

ronmanci

FYI: if you are "delayed" more than three days without being "denied", the FFL can let you take the gun home if he chooses to do so. some will and some wont. NICS only have three days to deny you.

Last edited:

ronmanci

last pistol i bought from Gander Mtn., which I imagine must do more 4473's than most. the salesman told me it has a lot to do with the time of day and day of the week. he said nics is understaffed and if your app is received on the weekend or after 5 during the week, the chances of it getting delayed are pretty good, about 50/50.

Bowers

last pistol i bought from Gander Mtn., which I imagine must do more 4473's than most. the salesman told me it has a lot to do with the time of day and day of the week. he said nics is understaffed and if your app is received on the weekend or after 5 during the week, the chances of it getting delayed are pretty good, about 50/50.

Absolutly not true. I sold guns for Cabelas for a year, and time of day had absolutly no effect on delay/denied. I worked mostly weekends and after 5, being in school. Those shifts didn't see higher numbers of delays, and definatly not 50/50

since9

Campaign Veteran
I have neither found a link online nore have I seen one posted on this thread.

I did find this, posted on the Oklahoma Shooters website back in 2008:

Get delayed more often then not? Contact the FBI N.I.C.S Operations center and they will mail out a request form for the PIN #

When Filing out the 4473 form, if the buyer has this special pin #, then they will no longer experience delays. The pin # goes right to the buyers History.

The FBI N.I.C.S operations center number is (304) 625-2750

ETA: My bad! swinokur provided the link:

Looks like one has to be a federal firearms licensee. More detailed information about the process, delays, and proceeds is found on the fact sheet on th FBI's website.

Last edited: