• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Not just LEOs, elected officials and instructors misinformed....... salesmen too!

emsjeep

Did I miss something in the Goldberg case Rich? he was let go wasn't he? I was under the impression that the charges against him were dropped. Or are we talking about the suit he brought against the town? I read that transcript and it doesn't sound to me like the judge said anything about LEO's being able to do that.

The inference is that because the civil suit failed, they acted appropriately...which is incorrect. They were entitled to immunity for their reasonable if inappropriate actions. In any event, the dismissal of the charges and the fact that the civil decision was unreported makes neither determination precedential for either side, though it may indicate what might happen it binds no one to anything.

Last edited:

Shawn Mitola

The inference is that because the civil suit failed, they acted appropriately...which is incorrect. They were entitled to immunity for their reasonable if inappropriate actions. In any event, the dismissal of the charges and the fact that the civil decision was unreported makes neither determination precedential for either side, though it may indicate what might happen it binds no one to anything.

gotcha now I understand better. thnx

Rich B

Did I miss something in the Goldberg case Rich? he was let go wasn't he? I was under the impression that the charges against him were dropped. Or are we talking about the suit he brought against the town? I read that transcript and it doesn't sound to me like the judge said anything about LEO's being able to do that.

Yes, his charges were dropped. In the latest go-around with the courts we had Judge Underhill state a bunch of nonsense about how he should have left his gun in his car (the DPS loves that!) and about how Attorney Baird was wrong about rights quite simply because this was a GUN. And as we all know, guns are evil, etc, etc.

There is not a lot of substance to Underhill's remarks, and I don't think there are many judges who would agree with his ruling, but we will see when the appeal is heard.

As for OSPD or any other PD thinking that it somehow means that detaining and arresting someone for printing, or to somehow bridge logic even further that they have the right to detain people who are OCing (which Goldberg was not), they really need to go back to the academy and learn a little bit more about Terry stops and RAS.

What I find delightful about the OSPD situation is that the police on scene repeatedly tell me I am being detained because this is a 'concealed carry state'. So no matter what, their premise for detainment is based on their own ignorance of the basic firearms laws in this state. I am glad the voice recorder was running.

Last edited:

Shawn Mitola

yeah I managed to get a rather good voice recorder app for the Iphone called Speak Easy. it takes a little bit to load up but I turn it on and leave it on even while the phone is on my belt and it picks up everything. I've been using that now for a few weeks. I also carry the CCDL pamphlet with me and a copy of the memo to the State police from the gun rally... Hopefully I'm prepared for when I get stopped... who knows I might get lucky and not get bothered.

talonhead

When I took my course in 97 in Enfield, the instructorn (Now a wildlife officer) Also put out that it was "Concealed Carry" and all that crap about keeping it covered yadda yadda yadda>
I deployed after that and didn't put in for my permit. Several years later, I started looking into the permit thing. More stuff on the 'net, easier to search. I found that it was total bunk. Then all the cases going to court about people OCing and Causing alarm etc. Just put it off.
Now the wife is actually interested in getting her permit. Now I have to work out a course schedule. Probly take it together.