• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Finally took my CCW class

Nevada carrier

I just got back from the CCSP where I took a CCW class offered by CCW of Nevada. It was a good class, ran kind of long. The instructor covered open carry, he said it was not his preferred method of carry and why, but he said it was a personal choice we all have to make for ourselves and he stuck to the law and only the law on the topic. That is to tell everyone that you can OC if you wish and not be breaking the law unless you carried in a prohibited location.

It was a good class, Just glad I've gotten it over with. Now to file the papers.

28kfps

What is CCSP? Was it a two-day class? Like to hear he was willing to be accurate with the open carry laws. Did any of the other class takers appear to be interested in open carrying or OP.org?

Nevada carrier

CCSP stands for Clark County Shooting Park. It was a one day class. we started on the range at about 8am, he demonstrated some techniques, like drawing from concealment, and tactical reloading. we went over the obvious range safety stuff. and started shooting by about 9am. By 10 am we had all finished shooting, could have been a bit faster, but me and one other trouble maker were there qualifying with six different firearms.

By 10 am we took care of payment and started the lecture portion. There was about a 1.5 hour lunch break, the non-Utah students finished at 5pm the Nevada/Utah students were out at about 5:30.

28kfps

Thanks for the update. Sounds like a good class. Any other conversation by the class takers about open carrying?

Nevada carrier

everyone there seemed to understand that open carry was legal, but The way I looked at it, was this, people payed to attend a class given by the instructor on concealed carry not a lecture by another student on open carry, I only discussed the topic while we were on breaks. there was no misinformation given in the class so no debate was necessary. Towards the end of class, the instructor did have a power point slide that gave a list of online forums for people to go to get information on firearms related topics, and opencarry.org was one of the sites listed.

Last edited:

28kfps

Thanks again. Most definitely, everyone’s mission was to achieve the concealed carry permit. I have been trough the one first time full CCW class and two renewals I will be up for the next renewal next year. For the most part the ones I attended open carry was taboo in all of them. Good to hear there is at least one that is touching on the issue with accurate info.

Lostlittlerobot

I'd say a good majority of people who are in a ccw classes don't even know of OC as an alternative. Some people think, I own a gun, I have to get a permit. It's sadly just how it goes. I get a lot of that from conversations because of the fact I (we) OC, and still just about every week it surprises somebody that you 'can just do that?!" and once educated they're all for it. Niceness goes a long way =).

CCW instructors and their taboo could be directly related to their income, without the need/desire of people concealing, they'd have less classes to teach, and may lose their jobs. If I were a CCW instructor, that'd kinda suck, regardless of how I felt about OC. Jobs are more and more important everyday here, 14.5% unemployment on the news last night, go Nevada!

MKEgal

I've taken 2 CCW classes, for privilege cards from 2 different states, & the one I took in WI I OC'd, didn't see anyone else (including the instructor) carrying. I don't remember that the topic of OC came up at all.

The one in IL, of course, unless on the range the gun has to be unloaded & encased. A couple students commented on my wearing my holster in the classroom... I told them I drove down from WI, where we can OC, so I was carrying the pistol until I got in the car.

Nevada carrier

I've taken 2 CCW classes, for privilege cards from 2 different states, & the one I took in WI I OC'd, didn't see anyone else (including the instructor) carrying. I don't remember that the topic of OC came up at all.

The one in IL, of course, unless on the range the gun has to be unloaded & encased. A couple students commented on my wearing my holster in the classroom... I told them I drove down from WI, where we can OC, so I was carrying the pistol until I got in the car.

isdeewhatyoudidthere