Thread: I want to open carry! But could use some advice on how to do it legally,

I want to open carry! But could use some advice on how to do it legally,

I'm scheduled for my CCW training in 6 weeks, but want to know more about open carry option for use now, and after I get my permit. What I don't understand, is if I have my handgun carried openly ( in a paddle holster with the entire firearm visible on my hip), do I run the risk of breaking the law should i find myself partially conceling my weapon when I sit? How about if part of my shirt were to come untucked and cover part of the grip?

I love the idea of OC and am obsessively responsible. So I want to be sure on this and haven't found any legal direction such as "open carry is considered X, and is permitted only when the firearm is X % visible at all times" etc.

This may be a stupid question so sorry if it's not what you normally discuss on this forum. I just don't know what I don't know and would appreciate any advice. Thanks, John/...

Just wear a standard hip holster and tuck in your shirt.

Banned
    Step one would be to ask the above question in the Ohio forum. The State forums are at the bottom of the main index and listed in alphabetical order.

Laws on OC (and on carry in general) vary widely from State to State. You really should look for advice from folks who know the laws in your State.

eye95:

Ohio ALLOWS Open Carry.

aadvark

OC

Yes, OH is an open carry friendly state. But you do need to check OH laws. For example here in WA you can OC but when you get in your car you have to remove it, and unload it unless you have a CPL.
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

Quote Originally Posted by golddigger14s View Post
    Yes, OH is an open carry friendly state. But you do need to check OH laws. For example here in WA you can OC but when you get in your car you have to remove it, and unload it unless you have a CPL.
    This was the only reason I got my CHL, and now my wife will be getting hers soon. She found out they have carry purses and is now asking for one.
    Last edited by zack991; 01-24-2011 at 04:52 PM.
    -I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you screw with me, I'll kill you all.
    -Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    Marine General James Mattis,

Banned
    Exactly. That is why the poster needs to go to the OH forum, do some reading, and ask questions there. OC is legal in AL, but we have some quirks. Folks who would OC in AL need to know them. I am sure OH has quirks too.

In WA you can OC but as long as you have you CHL you are good to go and aren't REQUIRED to OC or CC, and can do semi-CC, etc. as the others have said, check your state laws. I have heard about people getting charged with "brandishing" for simply printing inside their shirt, which I assume is the nature of your question.

You have to wonder what dodo enacted this stupid law, because now you have someone sitting in their car, steering wheel in the way, trying to unrack and get their mag out. It's a recipe for shooting yourself in the foot, literally.

Do they REALLY think an unloaded HG in a car makes anyone safer? Do they REALLY think BGs will unload when they are driving around?

Someone needs to have a big chart in the legal chambers, on what is dangerous and what is not. Numbers on ND (negligent discharge), numbers on road rage, numbers on when HGs are accidentally discharged and by whom. THEN make their silly laws.

ND by LEOs on Youtube - yep, that one is famous.
    ND by nonLEOs on Youtube - ?
    Roadragers with CPL and training who stay in their car and shoot someone aggressively (not defensively) - ?
    ND by LEOs trying to unload your unfamiliar gun in their squad car (for what?) - ?
    DV (domestic violence) shootings by trained CPL users, vs DV shootings by others.

ISTM they make these rules/laws with NO knowledge, study or information. It's all 'well this makes me look good/feel good, let's make it a law'.
    /rant

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    What exactly is "semi-CC"?
    I refer to that as casual carry, might be loosely covered or partly showing. It wouldn't take much for an observant person to realize you have a firearm.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Banned
    IANAL, but a partially concealed firearm would be construed in court against the carrier in the worst possible way. If OC under the circumstances is illegal, partially concealed carry will be considered OC. If CC under the circumstances is illegal, partially concealed carry will be considered CC.

I recommend that each time you carry, it is pure CC or pure OC. Or an absolute certainty that both are absolutely lawful in your present circumstances.

Regular Member protect our rights's Avatar
    You would be good to go, as both CC and OC are legal in your state. I'm not sure of the preemption status on your state so you could check into that.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence ... From the hour the Pilgrims landed, to the present day, events, occurrences, and tendencies prove that to insure peace, security and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable . . . The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that is good" - George Washington

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by protect our rights View Post
    You would be good to go, as both CC and OC are legal in your state. I'm not sure of the preemption status on your state so you could check into that.
    I am very familiar with the laws of my State. On ALOC, I am the guy they ask about the law. OC and CC are indeed both lawful, CC with a license. Therefore, if I were to "casual carry" without a license, I would risk the carry as being considered concealed in court and being convicted of a gun crime.

Considering that folks post in "Open Carry Questions" from all jurisdictions, my point about "casual carry" being construed against the carrier in the worst possible way remains relevant.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Questions regarding OC vs CC are probably best posted to the state forum to which the question pertains. There are too many differences in the laws from one state to the next to generalize here.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Banned
    The principle that "casual carry" could be construed in court in the worst possible way for the carrier would not be limited to any one State. True that, if a State allows BOTH CC and OC equally and unfettered, "casual carry" would not matter one whit. Unfortunately, there are not many "constitutional carry" States yet.

So, the warning that "casual carry" could be thought of as either CC or OC, at the whim of the prosecutor, is relevant to almost everyone here. How that warning is taken will, of course, depend on the particulars of any given State.

Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    I am very familiar with the laws of my State. On ALOC, I am the guy they ask about the law. OC and CC are indeed both lawful, CC with a license. Therefore, if I were to "casual carry" without a license, I would risk the carry as being considered concealed in court and being convicted of a gun crime.
    I was saying that in OHIO, as long as you have the Permit; it is completely legal to have a gun properly holstered half covered by a jacket. That was the answer to the question in which he was asking.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence ... From the hour the Pilgrims landed, to the present day, events, occurrences, and tendencies prove that to insure peace, security and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable . . . The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that is good" - George Washington

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by protect our rights View Post
    I was saying that in OHIO, as long as you have the Permit; it is completely legal to have a gun properly holstered half covered by a jacket. That was the answer to the question in which he was asking.
    As you did not address the OP or quote him, I assumed that you were replying to my post immediately preceding yours. No problem, I created that precise confusion in another thread. It happens on message boards.

Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    As you did not address the OP or quote him, I assumed that you were replying to my post immediately preceding yours. No problem, I created that precise confusion in another thread. It happens on message boards.
    eh stuff happens no biggie.

Quote Originally Posted by zack991 View Post
    This was the only reason I got my CHL, and now my wife will be getting hers soon. She found out they have carry purses and is now asking for one.
    I would highly recommend AGAINST a CC purse.

If you REALLY want to buy your gun-toting wife a $-3-digit purse, buy her a nice Coach bag, and get her a decent holster made specifically for women. She'll be MUCH better off in the long run.

If a mugger runs up behind your wife and snatches her purse, then what good it the gun? Not only is she disarmed, and without her purse, but now the BG has HER gun.

Not good...

Shop around and have her get a good holster, and modify her wardrobe for carry. It is the opinion of most people that "carry purses" not just a way for holster companies to bilk women out of obscenely inflated prices for what amounts to "stylish CC", but are actually an irresponsible and potentially deadly way to carry.

See what "Cornered Cat" website (the BEST female-targeted pro-carry website out there) has to say about the matter:

http://www.corneredcat.com/holster/purse.aspx
    Last edited by Dreamer; 03-13-2011 at 10:32 PM.
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

I bag carry BUT I carry with the strap across my chest and replaced the original strap with a wider and MUCH sturdier Laptop Bag strap. If they snatch MY bag they will also have my 300lb carcass tagging along with it! The bag has a nice Concealed compartment with its own Velcro holster that can be positioned however is best for the wearer. Right now, I have it set up for Open Carry mounting a belt clip holster in place with Velcro straps and it works great and allows me to quickly and easily switch between the two carry methods.

Concealed Mode:

Open Mode

Last edited by HeroHog; 03-14-2011 at 11:29 AM.
    Speedy: LOCAL League Sec/Treasurer, Information Officer
    AKA: Hero Hog, Dr. Speed, "The Brass Mangler" and "That fat, old, balding, Grey-bearded gimpy guy"

I don't have NEAR enough ammo on hand. `nuff said.

NRA Life Member, LSA, USN-DAV

"Stay safe..." - Paul "Skidmark" Henick, RIP

Quote Originally Posted by emtechnik View Post
    I have heard about people getting charged with "brandishing" for simply printing inside their shirt, which I assume is the nature of your question.
    It sounds like some WA state officers need to be charged with unlawful arrest. Printing is NOT brandishing.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Quote Originally Posted by zack991 View Post
    She found out they have carry purses and is now asking for one.
    They're call 'purse snatchers' for a reason. Bad Idea.