• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Oklahoma open carry

okboomer

Well, the opponents are still trotting out that old saw that a BG will automatically shoot the armed citizen before robbing everyone else. Even though there is absolutely no data to back that up. In fact, the Waffle House Incident sort of proves the opposite.

eye95

"If I walk into a room being just the average Joe, whether it be murder in mind or robbery in mind, that's the first guy I'm going to be targeting," Land said.

Average Joes don't walk into a room with murder or robbery in mind. Criminals do.

So how does a criminal generally react to the presence of a gun where he intends to commit a crime? Based upon their own words, at least one documented instance affirming their words, and the abject lack of documented instances contrary to their words, they leave and go where there are no known guns.

Officer Land shows an incredible lack of respect for us average Joes. Maybe that is why he would not trust us with guns.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Link added above!

Oh. (hides face in shame...)

From what I understand, if criminals ever do spot a gun, they run, elsewhere, and sometimes re-contemplate just what they heck they were thinking in the first place.

There's a reason crime rates have dropped by huge proportions as gun laws have been relaxed. Brady, McCarthy, the left in general can't seem to get that through their apparently very thick skulls.

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

Even criminals have the inherit trait of self preservation. Most will avoid people with guns.
This stupid thinking they are going to take the gun owner out first is ridiculous, and in my experience and others just not true.

My Friend was open carrying at a small convenient store when paying for his items the tellers eyes suddenly bugged out. He thought she just noticed his weapon and asked her what was wrong. She said a man came in the door behind him with a gun in his hand, he saw my friends gun and abruptly left. You can't have more of an opportunity to take the guy out with the gun first than that and it didn't happen matter-of-fact it prevented a robbery or what ever else the guy had on his mind.

I sure hope Oklahoma joins the rest of us in the right to Open Carry.

Last edited:

KBCraig

Even criminals have the inherit trait of self preservation. Most will avoid people with guns.
This stupid thinking they are going to take the gun owner out first is ridiculous, and in my experience and others just not true.

My Friend was open carrying at a small convenient store when paying for his items the tellers eyes suddenly bugged out. He thought she just noticed his weapon and asked her what was wrong. She said a man came in the door behind him with a gun in his hand, he saw my friends gun and abruptly left. You can't have more of an opportunity to take the guy out with the gun first than that and it didn't happen matter-of-fact it prevented a robbery or what ever else the guy had on his mind.

I sure hope Oklahoma joins the rest of us in the right to Open Carry.

Thanks for the anecdote. It's good to have something other than lack-of-evidence-as-evidence when we encounter the "take you out first" argument.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Thanks for the anecdote. It's good to have something other than lack-of-evidence-as-evidence when we encounter the "take you out first" argument.

Here's another: A few months back, the guy in front of me at Wal-Mart carrying a case of beer was obviously intoxicated, and it was after the cut-off time (it was sometime around 2:30am). As he approached the counter, the lady told him this, and he took about three looks around the store when he spotted me OCing directly in line behind him.

He froze, put the beer on the counter, and walked out the door.

As I was exiting into he parking lot, he was standing there, smoking, and asked, "Excuse me, are you a cop?" to which I saw, "I'm a law-abiding citizen," and he responded with a "Damn! I was about ready to bolt with that case of beer!"

So yes, OC can be a deterrent to criminal activity, even when it's not directed against you.

I got in my car, circled the parking lot as he left, re-parked, walked back into the store, and reported the incident to the manager, who thanked me very much for having been around!

eye95

It would be great if the friend who prompted the flight of the brandisher would personally post his story here with enough detail to add credibility. It is not that I don't believe the story (I do); I just want to be able to motivate those who would be predisposed not to believe it to accept it as true. It would be nice to have a second credible story to supplement the Kennesaw Waffle House incident.

1245A Defender

here!

The OpenCarry.org forum is now Facebook connected! See this thread for more info. + Reply to Thread
progress.gif

Thread: Open carry is very effective

05-09-2010 09:32 AM #1
Aryk45XD

user-offline.png

Regular Member Join DateDec 2009LocationSeattle, Washington, USAPosts462
im_yahoo.gif

icon1.png
imported post

About a month and some ago I was at a Renton corner store. When the girl gave me my change, for a split second, my attention was focused on turning the bills all one way. (I fully support OCD as well as OCDO) I looked up to thank her and saw a :shock: look on her face. I immediately looked around the store and saw nothing. I asked her what's the matter and she told me a guy just ran into the store with a gun in his hand, took one look at me, and ran out. I ran to the door and saw nobody outside. She thanked me for having a gun on me. (she made a small hint of thinking I was LEO or security by telling me that "we need more people in my line of work in public." I kind of chuckled and asked what more Parts Profesionals would have to do with crime? I told her all about OCDO and gave her a pamphlet from my truck. I didn't have a lot of time, so I left kinda quickly, but haven't seen her since to talk with her more.​

Kirbinator

Well, the opponents are still trotting out that old saw that a BG will automatically shoot the armed citizen before robbing everyone else. Even though there is absolutely no data to back that up. In fact, the Waffle House Incident sort of proves the opposite.

Every time I hear this argument, I request a cite. So far, not a single person has been able to provide a single case where that happened.

TraumaJunkie

If that was the case, I would assume more police officers would be shot and killed before a robery! The left absolutely amazes me! I wonder what they think a criminal would most likely do if he intended on robing an establishment and encountered a police officer. Whould he A: shoot the officer and continue with his plans to rob this establishment. B: surrender immediately upon seeing the officer , falling to his knees vowing to be an upstanding citizen from this day forward. C: Shoot himself. Or D: walk away...

sudden valley gunner

It would be great if the friend who prompted the flight of the brandisher would personally post his story here with enough detail to add credibility. It is not that I don't believe the story (I do); I just want to be able to motivate those who would be predisposed not to believe it to accept it as true. It would be nice to have a second credible story to supplement the Kennesaw Waffle House incident.

Follow the links defender provided. Funny thing is I had to talk him into posting his story, he didn't want to make a big deal about it, but to me this is one of essential reasons of carrying.

I have several personal incidents that show too how crooks don't like guns. The owner of a convenience store I was working on, let me open carry while working there, his son told me the amount of stolen goods they have to write off, dropped that week.

But the thing is most anti's will not accept these as "credible" I think the fact that many of them are willing to lie or stretch the truth they assume we are too.