• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My thoughts on 'permitting' system...with a twist.

GlockRDH

Some people are totally set on a 'permitting' system here in WI...I was thinking last night, what if a permitting system were in place..only for those using a gun to commit a crime? i.e. A criminal uses a gun to commit a crime, its then found out that he didnt 'preregister' himself OR obtain a 'permit' to commit said crime. He would then be fined a substantial amount for that. Because, really, NO CRIMINAL is ever going to obtain said permit, yet HE will be the one committing the crime.(this is similar to how the feds placed 'taxes' on certain illegal activity, thus making that activity a fed tax crime) Ya'll following me on this one??? :)

Krusty

I understand what you are getting at and it sounds reasonable in theory. But on the other hand do we really need or want yet another "law" that the DA will just use to plea bargain? I realize this idea is just in jest but the idea of more laws makes me cringe!

M

McX

works for me, no permit no crime! ofcourse the scum would just get the money for the permit by robbing someone, so they would be in violation from the start.

anmut

Some people are totally set on a 'permitting' system here in WI...I was thinking last night, what if a permitting system were in place..only for those using a gun to commit a crime? i.e. A criminal uses a gun to commit a crime, its then found out that he didnt 'preregister' himself OR obtain a 'permit' to commit said crime. He would then be fined a substantial amount for that. Because, really, NO CRIMINAL is ever going to obtain said permit, yet HE will be the one committing the crime.(this is similar to how the feds placed 'taxes' on certain illegal activity, thus making that activity a fed tax crime) Ya'll following me on this one??? :)

Yes sounds like the Marijuana Tax Stamp. A dumb idea by equally dump legislators.

GlockRDH

it comes back to...If you commit a crime with out a 'permit' and 'proper training' the burden then falls TOTALLY on the criminal, and NOT on the rest of is...obviously no criminal is going to obtain the necessary permit, thats a moot point. It would just put that person in more legal trouble for using a gun in a crime.

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
An argument that I would make for a permit is that it would require the holder to "buy in," thus creating a group has an ownership interest and would not be as likely to take the right for granted.

If I was planning long term strategy for the Joyce Foundation I may keep my powder dry and tell WAVE not to vigorously oppose Constitutional Carry this time around given the overwhelming majority the Republicans have.

Instead, wait for the time when Democrats get control of state government, and lethargic firearm owners take the right for granted, then push with everything to get regulations and requirements in place.

Once those regulations and requirements are place, the chance of them being repealed would be virually nil and would be a great win for Joyce - a repudiation of Constitutional Carry by a state that had it in place.

Let the pounding commence :uhoh: