• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Constitutional Carry Rally, Lansing

Generaldet

President, CLSD, Inc., Oxford, Michigan, USA
CLSD is currently in the process of organizing a Constitutional Carry Rally in Lansing for 2012.

You can visit http://www.citizensleaguesd.com/p/constitutional-carry-rally.html for now to learn more.

As of right now we are looking at mid May. Although this may seem like a long way off, I assure you it will be here before we know it and there is much work to be done. We hope to see our Constitutional rights restored in Michigan and I believe that day will come. As more details come out we will post more.

We will be looking to add guest speakers and offer other organizations, who support Constitutional Carry, the chance to set up a table and provide information on their group at the rally, similar to the 2A March last year.

TheQ

I will be a sure show. Please keep me posted.

* Well, not a sure show. If I'm still breathing and in MI, I'll be there.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Things were learned by doing the last one, so the hope is a large crowd can be assembled. But it does come down to the motivation of gun owners and like all things most gets done by a few.

I think John wants to have several gun orgs involved, with vendors, etc. Good speakers and entertainment is a must. Also I think he wants it on a Saturday so more people can show up, with less traffic than on a weekday.

I'm looking forward to attending.

Generaldet

Things were learned by doing the last one, so the hope is a large crowd can be assembled. But it does come down to the motivation of gun owners and like all things most gets done by a few.

I think John wants to have several gun orgs involved, with vendors, etc. Good speakers and entertainment is a must. Also I think he wants it on a Saturday so more people can show up, with less traffic than on a weekday.

I'm looking forward to attending.

Exactly. We are looking at Mid May, 2012. This gives us enough time accomplish what we need to and we have already begun work. I look forward to seeing everyone there, it will be here before you know it.

We will be contacting some potential speakers in the near future and will post any updates. As Brian said we are looking for other orgs that support Constitutional Carry and who would be interested in setting up a table to represent their org at the rally. We hope to have a real show of strength and solidarity in the 2A community.

Generaldet

one of my concerns with constitutional carry, is that we would not have a CPL to use reciprocally in other states.

I can understand and appreciate your concern. We support having an option to obtain a cpl for reciprocity (Until the country has Constitutional Carry) and I think we would all like to see the fee lowered, substantially.

DanM

We are looking at Mid May, 2012.

In 2012, The weekend of May 12-13 has Mothers Day. The weekend of 26-28 is Memorial Day weekend. Judging by past experience, those weekends are bad for attendance. Folks are busy with family. The weekend between them may be "down time" with some people just wanting to relax and save money by not traveling anywhere and staying home.

Perhaps a more "dead" or less busy month? April 2012 only has Easter in its first weekend. But that could still be a cold month. June 2012 has Fathers Day in the mid-month (Sunday, the 17th) which can be busy for many, but doesn't seem to pre-occupy people as much as Mothers Day. Therefore, the other weekends in June are less likely to be needed for "down time".

Just thoughts for consideration. No matter what is settled as far as a date for this, I plan on being in!

PDinDetroit

In 2012, The weekend of May 12-13 has Mothers Day. The weekend of 26-28 is Memorial Day weekend. Judging by past experience, those weekends are bad for attendance. Folks are busy with family. The weekend between them may be "down time" with some people just wanting to relax and save money by not traveling anywhere and staying home.

Perhaps a more "dead" or less busy month? April 2012 only has Easter in its first weekend. But that could still be a cold month. June 2012 has Fathers Day in the mid-month (Sunday, the 17th) which can be busy for many, but doesn't seem to pre-occupy people as much as Mothers Day. Therefore, the other weekends in June are less likely to be needed for "down time".

Just thoughts for consideration. No matter what is settled as far as a date for this, I plan on being in!

Late May and Early June are bad since many kids are graduating High School and parents are busy (my last one is a Senior this year). My vote is for the last weekend in April or first weekend in May.

BTW - December 15th, 2011 will be the Second Amendment's 220th "Birthday". Too bad it is probably too soon and TOO COLD for a Rally then.

DanM

My vote is for the last weekend in April

I'm inclined to agree about the last or second-to-last weekend in April 2012. In addition to what you mention, there will be an intervening week or two after Easter, and an intervening week or two before Mothers Day, and not a hell of a lot traditionally going on in that time window between Easter and Mom's Day.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter

Ahh just a few of the road blocks on organizing a rally. Also remember what happened in history on the day we choose. When SAM did the D.C. Rally the press claimed we picked April 19th because of the Oklahoma bombing anniversary, when we picked it because it was the anniversary of Lexington Concord Battle.

Many people are away on vacations in June, July and August. It's hot as well. April is cold and rainy/snowy. May is the month that people are beginning to wake up from the doldrums of a wet spring. The weather is generally good and it's not too hot. Personally Mothers day is a Sunday and if the event is Saturday, it shouldn't be too much of an issue. Besides bring the mom to Lansing for the weekend and enjoy the Historical Museum and other Lansing attractions. I suggest the weekend between Moms day and Memorial day.

And no matter what day is picked it's not going to please everyone.

DanM

Also remember what happened in history on the day we choose. When SAM did the D.C. Rally the press claimed we picked April 19th because of the Oklahoma bombing anniversary, when we picked it because it was the anniversary of Lexington Concord Battle.

. . . I suggest the weekend between Moms day and Memorial day.

What??? April 19th or the 20th?

April 19th is the anniversary of the barge containing munitions destined for Pakistan that exploded in the harbor at South Amboy, New Jersey, devastating the city in 1950.

April 20th is the anniversary of the Chinese authorities declaring martial law, which led to the Tiananmen Square massacre of 1989.

Wikipedia is great for creative reporters seeking to spin ANY chosen date of an upcoming event. :)