• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Recording a Police Officer Could Get You 15 Years in Jail

Gunslinger

---Moderator Edited---
We will NOT tolerate any personal attacks or general bashing of groups of people based upon race, religion, sex, or choice of occupation (e.g., being a law enforcement officer, in the military, etc)

M

McX

what? being recorded makes the cop realize that he has to adhere the rules of being a professional, showing respect, and courtesy, and aherance to the laws with respect for citizen rights, and accountability, the things he may think he is exempt from off camera?

Gunslinger

---Moderator Edited---
We will NOT tolerate any personal attacks or general bashing of groups of people based upon race, religion, sex, or choice of occupation (e.g., being a law enforcement officer, in the military, etc)

Give me a minute and I can come up with something nice to say about the KGB, I bet.

Claytron

---Moderator Edited---

This mod must be an LEO or military guy..... he would ban you for farting in a cops direction..... Is that homophobic guy still running around freely calling people sodomites, flamers and disgusting homosexuals? Doesnt that fall under the category of general bashing of a group?

Not on this forum i guess....

MKEgal

Claytron said:
This mod must be an LEO or military guy...
Yes, one of the founders of OCDO (the guy who wrote the rules) ((which you agreed to follow when you joined)) is ex-military.
I'm not, yet I too I dislike LEO bashing.

However, saying what they do, & explaining why it's illegal, isn't bashing.
Unfortunately, there's lots of opportunity to tell people about illegal LEO actions.
Wish they'd ALL take their oaths to uphold the law seriously.

Gunslinger

Yes, one of the founders of OCDO (the guy who wrote the rules) ((which you agreed to follow when you joined)) is ex-military.
I'm not, yet I too I dislike LEO bashing.

However, saying what they do, & explaining why it's illegal, isn't bashing.
Unfortunately, there's lots of opportunity to tell people about illegal LEO actions.
Wish they'd ALL take their oaths to uphold the law seriously.

USAF Officer, F-4 Phantom Aviator, Viet Nam Veteran. One of the strongest supporters of the military, past and present, on the forum. I'll match my "credentials" with his any time. As to LEO bashing, I've said it repeatedly: if it flies and quacks I call it a duck. As to the "rules," what is or is not 'bashing' is open to interpretation. It's somebody else's forum and I respect that. And if asked to leave, I have no problem with that. But I say what I think and will continue to do so.

rushcreek2

This increasingly "popular" notion that public servants are entitled to be shielded from audio/video recording of their conduct when officially interacting with citizens is pure BUNK, and must not be allowed to take root.

The best way to head off this despotic trend is for every citizen to "pack" a recording device and USE IT. Saturate these "ninja" wanna-be's" with the light of day. Funny thing is - this anti-camera/ recording device gestapo-style attitude seems to resemble the anti-OC mentality. Hmmmmmm....Both the OC of a handgun, and recording devices serve us as SELF-DEFENSE tools !

Bottom line is if your conduct is being recorded and your attitude, and disposition can be preserved for review by supervisors, and the judges.....Maybe you should BEHAVE YOURSELF ????? ....AND NOT BE NAUGHTY BOYS & GIRLS............BECAUSE THESE RECORDIING DEVICES ARE GETTING VERY SMALL AND UNDETECTABLE.......AND THEY AREN'T GOING AWAY.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Bottom line is if your conduct is being recorded and your attitude, and disposition can be preserved for review by supervisors, and the judges.....Maybe you should BEHAVE YOURSELF ????? ....AND NOT BE NAUGHTY BOYS & GIRLS............

This is just fine with me. I would suggest that anybody who would object to this very reasonable notion has "impure" motivations. To say the least.

BECAUSE THESE RECORDIING DEVICES ARE GETTING VERY SMALL AND UNDETECTABLE.......AND THEY AREN'T GOING AWAY.

Thankfully.

sharkey

Looks like copwatch is dead too. Good thing I live in a one party state. Of course, I really don't feel the need to record the police anymore. They seem to have changed around here. Imagine if Sheriff Joe started arresting all the people following his officers with cameras. That would create a huge backlash, I mean a different, new, huge backlash.

protect our rights

USAF Officer, F-4 Phantom Aviator, Viet Nam Veteran. One of the strongest supporters of the military, past and present, on the forum. I'll match my "credentials" with his any time. As to LEO bashing, I've said it repeatedly: if it flies and quacks I call it a duck. As to the "rules," what is or is not 'bashing' is open to interpretation. It's somebody else's forum and I respect that. And if asked to leave, I have no problem with that. But I say what I think and will continue to do so.

Thanks for the service brother. As to what you say I agree, unfortunately it is not our forum so our post are at the mercy of the moderators and what they see fit to be on here.

protias

Unfortunately, it is already the LAW in Illinois that this is illegal. Maybe it is because of all the corrupt politicians that have already been caught on film (way back when) that they made this move years ago.
That's my best guess as well. Of course, I haven't taken the time to find out the real history.

HandyHamlet

It's the audio that IL was worried about and is now using against us all.

http://sjreview.org/2011/02/06/illinois-wiretapping-law-restrictive/

Illinois wiretapping law restrictive at best

By Bill Freivogel
Web Exclusive

The ACLU in Illinois went to court to challenge the state eavesdropping law as a violation of the First Amendment, but a Chicago judge threw out the suit last month. The ACLU is appealing.

Welcome to Chicago.

The National Press Photographers Association sees the prosecutions of those videotaping police activities in public as the latest effort of authorities to harass photographers performing their job. In a statement, the association said:

“Despite consistent court rulings protecting the First Amendment rights of both citizens and the media to take photographs in public places, and despite many law enforcement agencies spelling it out in their official policies, the officer on the street either doesn’t get the word or decides to act on his own in the name of ‘security’ or ‘terrorism laws,’ often citing rules that don’t exist and exerting authority that’s non-existent. And recently in some states police have started citing old wiretapping laws that have been on the books for decades as their excuse for ordering photographers to cease videotaping officers as they’re doing their jobs in public, either during traffic stops or street arrests or while interfering with photographers who are breaking no rules and who are posing no threats to safety.”

The epidemic of citizens being falsely arrested for no crime goes way beyond the 2A culture.

Last edited:

Gunslinger

It's the audio that IL was worried about and is now using against us all.

Welcome to Chicago.

The epidemic of citizens being falsely arrested for no crime goes way beyond the 2A culture.

Unfortunately, it's going to take lawsuits to establish the right to put officials--very much including cops, on the record. Newsmen are allowed to film, why is that 1st A right not clearly incorporated to all citizens? If they have nothing to fear from publicity, this should be fully supported by 'officials.' An open society, isn't that what this is supposed to be? If they oppose it, voters have to ask 'why?' Of course, the Gestapo kicking in doors with so called "no knock" warrants issued by a halfwitted judge at 0400 won't be in favor. Here's an idea: if they're not, disband them. Better yet, disband all of the clown suited "swat" stormtroopers. They can get new jobs in Libya.