Thread: Bulletproof glass and metal detectors in al DPD precincts

Bulletproof glass and metal detectors in al DPD precincts

Plenty is sure to change in Detroit after a gunman walked into a police precinct on the northwest side yesterday and shot four officers before he was killed by return fire. Already, Mayor Dave Bing is talking about bulletproof glass and metal detectors in all precincts along with heightened caution and awareness inside police stations.

Jan. 24, WJR-AM 760: "That is what we're going to do. There are a lot of suburban areas that have already done that. So we're behind the 8-ball at this point trying to focus on community policing, trying to make sure there's access from our citizens with the police department, and now an incident like this happens and it starts to put up a barrier and separate us even more. But I think we have a responsibility to protect our public safety officers at all cost."

http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/in...ml#postComment
    Last edited by detroit_fan; 01-24-2011 at 12:59 PM.

They're afraid of the citizens they're supposed to (collectively) protect?
    You mean, the police don't prevent crime?
    And why should the PD have better protection than, say, the library (all those unarmed, defenseless children, you know)?

It's sad that this happened, and sad that nobody could stop him before he injured those officers.
    But once again, this is a criminal we're talking about.
    Why make life harder for citizens just because of him?
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

Banned
    +1

So even with the additional security measures, could a citizen legally carrying a firearm enter the precinct? I assume they could. As long as it is legal to carry a firearm in a precinct, and the DPD does not try to prohibit law-abiding carry, I don't have a problem with the added security.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by DrTodd View Post
    So even with the additional security measures, could a citizen legally carrying a firearm enter the precinct? I assume they could. As long as it is legal to carry a firearm in a precinct, and the DPD does not try to prohibit law-abiding carry, I don't have a problem with the added security.
    Since no laws have changed then yes you could carry there, however I see them turning anyone who is armed away probably rudely. Especially with metal detectors which I assume will be guarded by police officers.

It goes to show you really can't be 100% "safe" anywhere. I am certain those officers felt nearly 100% safe. Until the gunfire started. I am thankful no officers were killed, and I hope they all have speedy recoveries.
    But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security. Declaration of Independence July 4, 1776

Michigan Concealed Pistol Instructor. Cost 80.00 With advanced techniques included free. PM for more information!

Quote Originally Posted by NHCGRPR45 View Post
    ...metal detectors which I assume will be guarded by police officers.
    OK so to keep the police from getting shot... Police will guard the doors. ???

they don't need all that protection - they have a no weapons sign on the door. that should stop any armed attack right?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DrTodd View Post
    Wouldn't they try to claim that anywhere past a checkpoint with a metal detector would now be considered a secure area?

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
    When seconds count, police are just minutes away.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Eagle View Post
    I certainly understand the contradiction. However it would be cheaper to hire private security.
    But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security. Declaration of Independence July 4, 1776

Michigan Concealed Pistol Instructor. Cost 80.00 With advanced techniques included free. PM for more information!

Banned
    Yeah, private security has more authority anyhow, just ask a librarian.

If people think the city police have it bad at their workplace, think about all the other poor schmucks amongst us who have to work in gun free workplaces. At least the police have an army of armed and ready people inside their building. If that shooter would have went into a host of other places, just think of the bloodbath that could have ensued.

In order to get around pre-emption the state would have to introduce into legislation a law that gives local PDs the ability to set rules of conduct & safety (or somesuch thing) for all people entering the PD.......correct?

Because if the state did that it would satisfy the last line of 123.1102.

A local unit of government shall not impose special taxation on, enact or enforce any ordinance or regulation pertaining to, or regulate in any other manner the ownership, registration, purchase, sale, transfer, transportation, or possession of pistols or other firearms, ammunition for pistols or other firearms, or components of pistols or other firearms, except as otherwise provided by federal law or a law of this state.
    If a law like that comes up for vote I seriously think it would pass. Anybody who voted against it would be labeled a "cop hater."

Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. Thomas Paine

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post
    Yeah, private security has more authority anyhow, just ask a librarian.
    Oh snap!
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Eagle View Post
    I chuckled when I heard that too, but do you think cops will want rent a cops protecting them
    When Guns are OUTLAWED, Ill be an OUTLAW
    American Tactical Imports C45 45 AP
    S&W sigma 40 Cal
    Bersa 380 Thunder Plus
    Hi point C9 9mm
    Chiappa 1911-22 Semi-Auto .22 LR

Im not a lawyer, but I did play a Klingon once at Universal Studios

Wouldn't they try to claim that anywhere past a checkpoint with a metal detector would now be considered a secure area?
    I think you hit the nail right on the head, I believe that is just what they will try to do.
    from the pics I seen on the news, it looks like a bad design of the desk for maximum view of the door and windows.
    When Guns are OUTLAWED, Ill be an OUTLAW
    American Tactical Imports C45 45 AP
    S&W sigma 40 Cal
    Bersa 380 Thunder Plus
    Hi point C9 9mm
    Chiappa 1911-22 Semi-Auto .22 LR

Im not a lawyer, but I did play a Klingon once at Universal Studios

Why aren't we hearing an outcry for the police to do more to clear crimes, arrest criminals, and improve public relations by improving professionalism and how they treat people? If they aren't safe, neither are the rest of us.

And what about the donut shops? Will they get increased security in the form of barriers and detectors? Obviously the presence of several officers increases risk, not safety.

Where does the "secure" area come into play? Is there something in the law that states that they can prohibit firearms in a secure area?
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by kryptonian View Post
    they don't need all that protection - they have a no weapons sign on the door. that should stop any armed attack right?
    Forgive me if this is out of place...but.....LMAO!