• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Emanuel cannot run for mayor

CenTex

Rocco: There's two kinds of people in this world when you boil it all down. You got your talkers and you got your doers. Most people are just talkers, all they do is talk. But when it is all said and done, it's the doers that change this world. And when they do that, they change us, and that's why we never forget them. So which one are you? Do you just talk about it, or do you stand up and do something about it? Because believe you me, all the rest of it is just coffee house and bull.

Off Topic (OT)

Why is it "show and tell" but not "done and said"?

Show and tell :uhoh: done and said.
show=done
tell=said

I don't see a major difference.

Show and tell :uhoh: said and done.
show=said
tell=done

Now, there is a major difference.

So, why is my lovely wife always correcting me when I say "When all is done and said." :lol:

Last edited:

jbone

Do you think he will probably take it to a higher authority and try to get this ruling overturned?

I see him as slippery enough to try. But I don’t see any error in the appeals court decision, nothing for the Illinois Supreme to reverse IMO. Illinois law is clear, the bonehead is just trying the use Obama’s name as some sort of BS claim that he only took up new residency in the name of Obama, and therfore is above the law.
But I may be bias, as I think he's a POS!:lol:

NRAMARINE

I hope he whines and weasels his way onto the ballot. Then I hope through court challenges and such he wins. Then the world will see him for what he is, and the Chicago political system will get back what they sent out to us.

eye95

I don't like Emmanuel's politics.

That being said, I think he is right on this one. Folks go to DC all the time to serve without giving up their residency. Residency is a matter or intent. Assignments by the federal government, in and of themselves, do not change residency.

Did Emmanuel change his driver's license to DC? Did he file taxes in DC and not IL? Did his personal vehicle have DC or IL tags? Did he maintain IL voting registration? etc.

If Emmanuel's intent was to return to IL after serving in the White House, typically as demonstrated by maintaining documentary ties to IL, then he maintained his residency, much like my residency did not change every time the AF reassigned me. I did everything to demonstrate my intention to be a TX resident during my first assignment, and then maintained that residency with my DL, absentee voting, etc.

Now, if Emmanuel did something stupid like not filing taxes in IL while living in DC, then he blew it and demonstrated a lack of intent to be an IL resident.

paul@paul-fisher.com

That being said, I think he is right on this one. Folks go to DC all the time to serve without giving up their residency. Residency is a matter or intent. Assignments by the federal government, in and of themselves, do not change residency.

Did Emmanuel change his driver's license to DC? Did he file taxes in DC and not IL? Did his personal vehicle have DC or IL tags? Did he maintain IL voting registration? etc.

If Emmanuel's intent was to return to IL after serving in the White House, typically as demonstrated by maintaining documentary ties to IL, then he maintained his residency, much like my residency did not change every time the AF reassigned me. I did everything to demonstrate my intention to be a TX resident during my first assignment, and then maintained that residency with my DL, absentee voting, etc.

Now, if Emmanuel did something stupid like not filing taxes in IL while living in DC, then he blew it and demonstrated a lack of intent to be an IL resident.

Did you read the ruling? It addressed all that.

http://www.state.il.us/court/Opinions/AppellateCourt/2011/1stDistrict/January/1110033.pdf

Last edited:

eye95

No, I hadn't. It wasn't linked, and I wasn't going to search for it.

Now I have read it. The court recognizes that Emmanuel DID maintain residence for the purpose of voting. However, they (by some of the most convoluted logic ever) decided that the residency is defined differently when running for office than for voting, creating the odd situation that Emmanuel is a resident of Chicago for voting purposes, but not for candidacy purposes. This is new law in that the courts have not held this before.

This decision will be appealed. I expect an unbiased review to agree with the simpler and more logical dissent.

I can only imagine that the judges were biased against Emmanuel and found "logic" to support their predisposed position. This is, after all, Chicago politics. They don't do anything because it is the right thing to do. They do it to further their own agenda or the agendas of their cronies.

p85

"They are looking at the statute and taking it at face value," said Christopher Keleher, a Chicago-based expert on appellate litigation. "They say it requires you live here physically for a year. He didn't, so they say he doesn't qualify. "

eye95

"They are looking at the statute and taking it at face value," said Christopher Keleher, a Chicago-based expert on appellate litigation. "They say it requires you live here physically for a year. He didn't, so they say he doesn't qualify. "

It (plain reading) does not require physical residency. After actually reading the decision, it is clear to me that they did not do plain reading on the statute as the same wording in two different parts of the statute are being "plain read" two different way.

Ruby

Hey, it's Chicago. What else needs to be said?!? Much as I don't like the man, I disagree with the court's decision; he should be allowed to run. I was born and raised in Illinois, so glad I don't live there anymore.

SavageOne

I keep seeing people referring to Emmanuel serving in DC. Am I wrong or did he not simply take a job in DC. I was not aware that the job of White House Chief of Staff was considered public service. Was Rahm elected to this position? Is excepting a job from an Administration now considered the same as military service? I cannot see any difference from anyone else who takes a job with the government. Quite frankly, I find it wrong that he wasn't required to establish residence in Maryland. Many states will not allow you live extended periods without at least establishing dual residencies. He took a job which he knew might require him to live outside of Chicago for 4 years or more and then tries to claim he "resided" in Chicago all along? WOW