Thread: Tuscon AZ shooter enters Plea....Not Guilty?????

Tuscon AZ shooter enters Plea....Not Guilty?????

He'll end up getting shipped off to a nuthouse.

Did you see the videos he made?

Mental disease or defect seems indeed what the case will be here.

however, I hope they just don't put him in the nuthouse and let him out in a few years and say "he's healed, medicated, etc.".

Forget the open carry movement, he has put armed citizens in a negative light in a big way and who knows the harm that will come of this (look at all the legislation across the country and in DC).

Jonathan
    www.ctpistolpermitissues.com - tracking all the local issuing authority, DPS and other insanity with permit issues
    www.ctgunsafety.com - my blog and growing list of links useful to gun owners (especially in Connecticut).

Rich B: My favorite argument against OC being legal in CT is "I have never seen someone OC in CT".
    I have never seen a person drink tea from a coke bottle while standing on their head, that doesn't mean it is illegal.

They may try an insanity plea; however, if he knew it was wrong to kill at the time of the incident, he's done.

Maybe he'll pull a Colin Ferguson...

Quote Originally Posted by AFPVet View Post
    They may try an insanity plea; however, if he knew it was wrong to kill at the time of the incident, he's done.
    That alone isn't enough. It can actually bolster his position. "I knew it was wrong, but I couldn't stop"......

I've seen the "did you know it was wrong" bit in too many insanity defense cases and it didn't matter.

Sad, but true.

Jonathan
    www.ctpistolpermitissues.com - tracking all the local issuing authority, DPS and other insanity with permit issues
    www.ctgunsafety.com - my blog and growing list of links useful to gun owners (especially in Connecticut).

Rich B: My favorite argument against OC being legal in CT is "I have never seen someone OC in CT".
    I have never seen a person drink tea from a coke bottle while standing on their head, that doesn't mean it is illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by KIX View Post
    That alone isn't enough. It can actually bolster his position. "I knew it was wrong, but I couldn't stop"......

I've seen the "did you know it was wrong" bit in too many insanity defense cases and it didn't matter.

Sad, but true.

Jonathan
    IIRC "irresistible impulse" is less favorable, and it may not even be relevant to the jurisdiction. We skipped the insanity defense in Crim Law I, so I take no responsibility for my statements here.

ETA: Interesting factoid...it is John Hinckley's fault:
    Congress and most states abolished the irresistible impulse defense after John Hinckley was acquitted on grounds of insanity for the attempted assassination of President ronald reagan in 1981. Only a handful of states currently allow irresistible impulse as a defense to criminal charges. These states permit it as a supplement to the cognitive insanity defense, which is the only insanity defense recognized in most jurisdictions. On the federal level, Congress abolished the irresistible impulse defense in the Insanity Defense Reform Act of 1984 (18 U.S.C.A. 1 note, 17).
    http://legal-dictionary.thefreedicti...stible+impulse
    Last edited by emsjeep; 01-25-2011 at 01:43 AM.

Irresistible Impulse as a defense, I wasn't even pondering.

I think the technical term is....... The idiot is BONKERS!!!!

Jonathan

He has a Right to Plead NOT GUILTY..., under Our Constitution, whenever He, or anyone Else, is Accused of ANY Crime.