• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Tuscon AZ shooter enters Plea....Not Guilty?????

KIX

He'll end up getting shipped off to a nuthouse.

Did you see the videos he made?

Mental disease or defect seems indeed what the case will be here.

however, I hope they just don't put him in the nuthouse and let him out in a few years and say "he's healed, medicated, etc.".

Forget the open carry movement, he has put armed citizens in a negative light in a big way and who knows the harm that will come of this (look at all the legislation across the country and in DC).

Jonathan

AFPVet

They may try an insanity plea; however, if he knew it was wrong to kill at the time of the incident, he's done.

KIX

They may try an insanity plea; however, if he knew it was wrong to kill at the time of the incident, he's done.

That alone isn't enough. It can actually bolster his position. "I knew it was wrong, but I couldn't stop"......

I've seen the "did you know it was wrong" bit in too many insanity defense cases and it didn't matter.

Sad, but true.

Jonathan

emsjeep

That alone isn't enough. It can actually bolster his position. "I knew it was wrong, but I couldn't stop"......

I've seen the "did you know it was wrong" bit in too many insanity defense cases and it didn't matter.

Sad, but true.

Jonathan

IIRC "irresistible impulse" is less favorable, and it may not even be relevant to the jurisdiction. We skipped the insanity defense in Crim Law I, so I take no responsibility for my statements here. :)

ETA: Interesting factoid...it is John Hinckley's fault:
Congress and most states abolished the irresistible impulse defense after John Hinckley was acquitted on grounds of insanity for the attempted assassination of President ronald reagan in 1981. Only a handful of states currently allow irresistible impulse as a defense to criminal charges. These states permit it as a supplement to the cognitive insanity defense, which is the only insanity defense recognized in most jurisdictions. On the federal level, Congress abolished the irresistible impulse defense in the Insanity Defense Reform Act of 1984 (18 U.S.C.A. §§ 1 note, 17).
http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/irresistible+impulse

Last edited:

KIX

Irresistible Impulse as a defense, I wasn't even pondering.

I think the technical term is....... The idiot is BONKERS!!!!

Jonathan

aadvark

He has a Right to Plead NOT GUILTY..., under Our Constitution, whenever He, or anyone Else, is Accused of ANY Crime.