Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tuscon AZ shooter enters Plea....Not Guilty?????

Tuscon AZ shooter enters Plea....Not Guilty?????

She is from what i hear is a very good lawyer from SD and is known for Plea Deals. Cant plea if your guilty. I am guessing that she will use the testimony of several witnesses and find slight differences to create a "doubt" and plea it down.
    Last edited by CORN BORN; 01-24-2011 at 05:09 PM.

This guy is a shill, entering multiple threads same topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Mitola View Post

Well, he's got one of the best scumbag defense lawyers in the country -- she and her team will make sure to pull every legal trick in the book (and invent some new ones along the way) to make sure that he doesn't get the death penalty that he deserves.

She may even be able to get him off completely, via the "Insanity" defense. Another feather in her cap!

Too bad somebody didn't put a bullet through his head at the scene, and save all of us the trouble (yes, I'm feeling grumpy today). Of course, if she successfully gets him completely off, then I vote that she get the punishment in his stead...

He bought a gun, and from what i understand went to 2 differant walmarts for ammunition, bought a 33 round mag. and knew to hit somewhere that he knew had politicians, what about that screems insanity? If he would have hit somewhere or someone with tons of armed gaurds, then i would call him crazy but this $%^&^ clearly wasn't crazy, it was thought out.
    why do school shootings happen.... for the same reason they never happen at a shooting range.

Quote Originally Posted by Pace View Post
    This guy is a shill, entering multiple threads same topic.
    I'm not sure what a shill is but yes I posted it once here and once in my home state forum...not sure what the problem with that is
    Last edited by Shawn Mitola; 01-24-2011 at 07:43 PM.

Accomplished Advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by Pistol-Packing-Preacher-in-PV View Post
    Well, he's got one of the best scumbag defense lawyers in the country -- she and her team will make sure to pull every legal trick in the book (and invent some new ones along the way) to make sure that he doesn't get the death penalty that he deserves.

She may even be able to get him off completely, via the "Insanity" defense. Another feather in her cap!

Too bad somebody didn't put a bullet through his head at the scene, and save all of us the trouble (yes, I'm feeling grumpy today). Of course, if she successfully gets him completely off, then I vote that she get the punishment in his stead...
    the last time I looked, we were all entitled to a fair defense, were we not?

Dont worry too much, he won't be diddy-bopping down the streets of Arizona anytime soon.

Whether any of us like it or not he is entitled to an Attorney and his Attorney is obligated to do what they can within the law to get him off.

It wouldn't bother me however if he had a heart attack and expired in great pain before the next hearing.
    If you woke up breathing, congratulations! You get another chance.

Not sticking up for the guy and definitely not for his actions but he does deserve legal defense and any lawyer worth their salt would recommend that he plead not guilty. It would be pretty stupid not to in my opinion unless he wants the quickest and surest way to death row.

28kfps
    It is too bad that our legal system is set up in such a way they more than likely will spend hundreds of thousands of tax dollars parking this guys ass in jail. Money better spent protecting the boarder. It is always said we want to be careful changing laws to shortcut the going to jail process as to make sure all the facts are laid out and the end punishment is being correctly administered to the correct criminal. Even without a law degree and a person with the average high school grades just slightly about failing it would appear to me they caught the guilty party.

Quote Originally Posted by Pistol-Packing-Preacher-in-PV View Post

She may even be able to get him off completely, via the "Insanity" defense. Another feather in her cap! ...
    Ok if YOU were accused of a crime would you not want the best scumbag lawyer to represent you? I mean it is better than a regular scumbag lawyer LOL. my point being any lawyer should try and defend thier client to the best of thier ability. And if it wasn't this lawyer it would be another anyway. If he did plead Insanity then there would be a compentcy hearing. And if he is insane then its not like "oh ok you are just looney and stay in hospital for month and leave"
    Patrick Henry didn't say "Give me safety , or give me death". Liberty is what America is about.

Isn't pleading Guilty the same as giving up your 5th Amendment right against self-incrimination?

We talk about our 1A, 2A, 4A, 9A, 10A rights here. He has rights too.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not sticking up for the guy. I'd be a lousy juror on his case as I already am convinced he's guilty and haven't heard a shred of evidence.
    What part of "shall not be infringed" do *they* not understand?

@Pace: He isn't a "shill." He cross-posted.

@TheTopic: He deserves a defense to prosecution, as all do. We don't like it when it looks this cut-and-dried, but that is the way we operate. As for "insanity," I doubt that will fly in this specific. It was planned out, and he seemed to expect to die. So, he knew the consequences of his actions.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

For those that don't know anything about the hearing. The Judge ordered the not guilty plea not the lawyer or defendant.

The defendant can at a later date change the plea if advantageous to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by TOF View Post
    For those that don't know anything about the hearing. The Judge ordered the not guilty plea not the lawyer or defendant.

So, you are claiming the article in the OP is not correct?

Jared Loughner smiled and nodded but said nothing as his attorney entered the plea Monday
    snippet from the OP link.
    Last edited by wrightme; 01-25-2011 at 01:40 PM.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

From the same link -
    "... Tucson shooting suspect makes plea..."
    The exact words used, and who used them aren't always the same words used and attributed by whoever did the reporting.

Again from the same article
    The 22-year-old man ... made his first public statement regarding his role in the shooting: He's not guilty.
    Jared Loughner smiled and nodded but said nothing as his attorney entered the plea ...
    In the same article the suspect makes the plea, then it's reported that his lawyer has made the plea. It's reported he's made a public statement and it's reported he remained mute.

So which did he do, make a public statement or smile and say nothing?

Last time I was involved in a legal proceeding, it was the jury that came in with a verdict, but it was a judge that directed the verdict be entered into the court records. Perhaps there is more than one way of saying the same thing, no?
    Last edited by Fallschirmjäger; 01-25-2011 at 02:31 PM.

Why wouldn't he plead not guilty? He's got the Sheriff, the media, and every liberal in the country running interferance, and blaming everyone but him. Every leftist legislator is scrambling to get a gun control law on paper to distract everyone from the fact that this guy is a pot smoking communist. Where was all this fervor, or calls for civility when Sarah Palin was being attacked for this? For that matter, where was it when a MUSLIM shot up Fort Hood? That's right,we have to be understanding with that one. ( banghead)
    This site has been hijacked by leftists who attack opposition to further their own ends. Those who have never served this country and attack those who do are no longer worthy of my time or attention.

Quote Originally Posted by DKSuddeth View Post
    the last time I looked, we were all entitled to a fair defense, were we not?
    In this case...is his guilt in question?

Here's another perspective on the good sheriff's culpability.

http://www.wnd.com/?fa=PAGE.view&pag...8-9b166449906c
    Last edited by NRAMARINE; 01-25-2011 at 07:36 PM.
    This site has been hijacked by leftists who attack opposition to further their own ends. Those who have never served this country and attack those who do are no longer worthy of my time or attention.

If anyone thought he was going to just walk in there and plead guilty without any kind of defense and just accept whatever the judge wanted to do they are crazier than he is. In fact it will be a long time before any judge would even accept a guilty plea from him, First of all they will have to determine if he is even capable of entering a plea. Right now if he entered a plea of guilty it would get overturned by the first judge to hear an appeal from either his attorney, family member or concerned party.

Quote Originally Posted by wrightme View Post
    So, you are claiming the article in the OP is not correct?

snippet from the OP link.
    Yes

Yes
    Supported by what information? The ONLY information presented so far is counter to your opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by XDSTEEL View Post
    Ok if YOU were accused of a crime would you not want the best scumbag lawyer to represent you? I mean it is better than a regular scumbag lawyer LOL. my point being any lawyer should try and defend thier client to the best of thier ability. And if it wasn't this lawyer it would be another anyway. If he did plead Insanity then there would be a compentcy hearing. And if he is insane then its not like "oh ok you are just looney and stay in hospital for month and leave"
    Well, being the kind of person that I am, I would have never plead "NOT GUILTY" to a crime that I clearly committed in front of (potentially) hundreds of witnesses, despite the fact that my lawyer might try to get me to do so. I have enough personal integrity to stand up and account for my actions (even if they were something similar to Laughner's.) I wouldn't go around trying to blame society, or someone else, for what were clearly my actions.

As for your flippant "...looney and stay in a hospital for a month and leave..." statement, just watch. I have seen far too many "incompetent" people get release back into society after committing heinous crimes after a relatively short period of time. I predict that, if successful with the insanity defense, he will be declared "cured" and released within five years, easy.

I guess the thing that most aggravates me is that the little punk didn't have the guts to own up to what he did -- although he put an awful lot of time and planning into doing it.

I did not know this. If this is the case, then why in the heck did a judge order a "Not Guilty" plea for this person? What gives?

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    In this case...is his guilt in question?
    If we have a shred of common-sense, we will always proceed from the viewpoint that guilt is in question whenever government scoops up a citizen and begins the prosecution process. And, demand that government prove, every time, why they think is guilt is beyond question. Every time, no exceptions.

Of course, the point is not that he is or isn't guilty. The point is to prevent government from successfully prosecuting the innocent.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast