• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ashboroe nc again

traxis43196543

:question:was in ashboroe today downtown. mailed a few letters ate lunch and done alittle shopping. passes about 7 or 8 leo's in downtown no problem. went to advance no problem. got gas no problem. had to get car inspected no problem while there, but as i pulled back out of station a county jail officer came up to side of car and asked if was a leo or something, i said no.
he then said that it was against the law to open carry a firearm in public in city limits.
i asked him to cite city ordnace but he refused and stated that if i didnt conceal it he would inform the local police. after about 15 minutes a city police car pulled up and two leo's got out, and right off the bat i saw that one of them was a sargent of the force.
i think the other one was in training becuace he was in uniform but not caring.

after several minutes of talking down to the jail officer the sargent came over and asked me if i would like to file a complaint said yes and he gave me the information as to who i should contact as well as the jial officers information to boot.

i audio recorded the intire episode and will post it as soon as edit out the other places that were on the recorder.

when i got home around 1:30 pm today i called to make a report of complaint and about 1 hour later someone from the county jail division called and said that if i wanted to file complaint in person i should go there thursday morning to make complaint .

will post outcome as soon as possible

MKEgal

Good for the Sergeant!!
I'm guessing this was some combination of him actually respecting rights, knowing & standing up for the law, & a heirarchy where police > jail guards.

REDFIVE48

My opinion, I would drop in place. Obviously the jail guard couldn't arrest you, so if you take him like any other scared uninformed soccer mom, you wouldn't log a complaint with their PTA. He probably got slapped down to place at the scene, and no real need to affect the guys ability to advance his career. Hopefully is more informed now, and treat people better next time instead of trying to over-inflate his worth.

I wasn't on scene so have no way to know if the guy learned his lesson or how big an a$$ he was at the scene, but taking the higher road now may cement the lesson for him more than an official complaint in his record.

Just my $.02

Gunslinger

Always nice to hear about cops that know their job and do it well. The best result, however, would have been for the dispatcher to have said "so what?" to the jailhouse ninja when he called to report a non-crime taking place.

sultan62

Part of me agrees with redfive, but then I remember that he's still a state employee. Overall, of course, it's your call. I don't think I'd follow that one up though, the police knew what they were doing, and the guard has been educated. I'd probably just let it lie.

Northerner

Not that this is a comment on your character, but if he/she actually is a prison guard at one of the State Pens, you never know if you burn that bridge, it could come back to haunt you.:shocker:

"Hello, prisoner NC-297434, remember me? You called my Supervisor and got me in trouble... meet your cellmate Bubba..." :uhoh::arrow::eek:

I agree with the latest posts, the LEO stepped in and educated the gentleman. You lost a few minutes of your time for this, I would let it go and carry on.:banana:

Last edited:

jerz_subbie

My opinion, I would drop in place. Obviously the jail guard couldn't arrest you, so if you take him like any other scared uninformed soccer mom, you wouldn't log a complaint with their PTA. He probably got slapped down to place at the scene, and no real need to affect the guys ability to advance his career. Hopefully is more informed now, and treat people better next time instead of trying to over-inflate his worth.

I wasn't on scene so have no way to know if the guy learned his lesson or how big an a$$ he was at the scene, but taking the higher road now may cement the lesson for him more than an official complaint in his record.

Just my $.02

I understand what you're saying but disagree. The PTA soccer mom wouldn't confront you saying, "Are you LEO? Well then you can't carry like that. I'm a PTA member, I know, and if you don't cover that up I'm going to call the Police!" The corrections officer was stepping out of line, almost abusing his power, but definitely overstepping his bounds by confronting a law abiding citizen under guise of the state. Because of this I think a complaint is very fitting.

WNCTarheel

Good job on how you handled the situation. I just have one request, and I'm not perfect either, but please proofread your posts before hitting submit. I know we can get a little rushed and all but since anybody can read these forums, it's best that we put a good face forward. Thanks.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
So some prison guard wants to be a cop so he can harass people?

You definitely need to create difficulty for advancing his career. He seems the sort that would do the crossover training and become an actual cop. Definitely need to keep this asshat out of that job.

Smith45acp

If the way you described it is really the way it went down, then the police that showed up must have disliked the jailer for some reason.

In my experience, even when a ranking officer knows someone f'ed up, they will try to tactfully persuade you to just let them handle it and dissuade you from filing a complaint. You say they brought the subject of filing a complaint up themselves? That is odd.

Why did you wait 15 minutes for the real cops to show up if you were on your way out? I would have politely told the guy to beat it and left.

Do "county jail officers" have authority to arrest or detain? I don't think so but I may be mistaken.

As to the soccermom scenario, I always think these are kind of funny. Funny because a sheeple will approach you and tell you how scary it is for you to have a firearm in plain sight, but somehow you're not too scary to approach and get an earful. That has happened to me once (a soccer-dad actually), and I pointed out the irony to him.

Smith45acp

that happened to me at gas station in thomasville nc couple weeks back, man was indeed a prison guard that try'ed to detain me for oc'ing, man behind counter called police, when police got there off duty prison guard tried to say that i handling gun out of side holster but several witneses including cashier said that i was doing nothing wrong, officer told me every thing was okay so i left, after several minutes went by i went back by the gas station and they had the guy in the back seat of patrol car...... funny huh

^From http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...t-Experiance&p=1451422&viewfull=1#post1451422

Why do you keep running into prison guards and county jail officers like this?

I'm not calling this one way or the other but this is seeming awful coincidental trax

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
To the OP, traxis43196543

Interesting story. Your having that recorder handy is a blessing as you don't have to try and remember the details.

Would appreciate the specifics as to date, time and place of this incident + LEA and Sgt's name. If you don't have the full particulars, just give us what you have and we can FOIA the rest.

The goal. of course, is to write a nice letter for the Sgt's personnel file.

BTW - I presume that you mean Asheboro, NC not as you typed twice "ashboroe."

Asheboro is one of the few municipalities that I know of that actually still has "black & whites" for their patrol cars. Chief Rickey Wilson has been with that department for a long time - he is close friends with with an old buddy of mine that retired just a few years ago as Chief of other department - small world.

rotorhead

^From http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...t-Experiance&p=1451422&viewfull=1#post1451422

Why do you keep running into prison guards and county jail officers like this?

I'm not calling this one way or the other but this is seeming awful coincidental trax

Yeah.

I made a post a few days ago about how a few newer members posting here in the NC forums all have letters and numbers in their name. None of them can spell or use correct grammar, and oddly enough, all seem to run into jailers/ county deputies/ security guards more than anyone I've ever seen before in my life.

All of them have similar run-ins where they are confronted by seemingly bumbling rent-a-cops who mistakenly misquote gun laws until our heroes have had enough and either slap them with their superior knowledge, or are saved just in time by friendly and knowledgeable "real" cops.

I deleted that post after thinking maybe I was jumping the gun or perhaps being a little too mean.

Now, it's time to come right out with it: I call BS.

calynn

I was thinking the same thing after I had seen the same user post up within a few days saying basically the same story. I wanted to call BS on the second but just referred to the 'OC experience reports' forum as a place to put these "stories."

crashclint

Yeah.

I made a post a few days ago about how a few newer members posting here in the NC forums all have letters and numbers in their name. None of them can spell or use correct grammar, and oddly enough, all seem to run into jailers/ county deputies/ security guards more than anyone I've ever seen before in my life.

Yo-be man-be wah yo sayin peeps in nc havs no gramma, lol.

rotorhead

Yo-be man-be wah yo sayin peeps in nc havs no gramma, lol.

lol, well.....no not exactly.

Just the troll who, when called out, seemed to have more pressing business than to hang around. Odd how that works out :)

NCSteveh

yeah, why hand around? I would have told him to pound sand. oh and just to be clear, he did disarm you for his safety and unload your gun before disassembling it and putting it in your trunk right?:lol:

JC_Biggs

Yeah.

All of them have similar run-ins where they are confronted by seemingly bumbling rent-a-cops who mistakenly misquote gun laws until our heroes have had enough and either slap them with their superior knowledge, or are saved just in time by friendly and knowledgeable "real" cops.

I deleted that post after thinking maybe I was jumping the gun or perhaps being a little too mean.

HEY....i dont!!! lmao

mekender

Can one of the mods please fix the spelling in the title of this thread so I can stop trying to pull my hair out every time I read it?