• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Newson6 - Hope grows for open carry reform in Oklahoma

protect our rights

This bill has now been placed on the house calendar to be dealt with between March 14 and March 17. There was also an amendment filed to remove the referendum language so if that is removed, no vote by the people, simple legislative passage.

This is great news. How have your politicians been responding to your emails and calls? Do they sound like they are in favor of this bill?

hrdware

This is great news. How have your politicians been responding to your emails and calls? Do they sound like they are in favor of this bill?

When I asked them to sign the discharge petition, I only got about 3 responses. My rep will vote for it as he is in favor of 2A. I think it will pass the house as it did last year. The only reason it shouldn't will be if the republican caucus has been playing games with this issue.

Mirge

hrdware, as I understand it... this is essentially our last shot at any version of OC this year? Or am I misunderstanding?

hrdware

Mirge, yes, this is our last legislative effort for open carry this session.

As of March 9, 2011, 9:30PM there are 9 amendments pending for this legislation.

4 Amendments wish to remove the voting of the people next November and make it a legislative decision. I agree with these amendments.

4 amendments wish to put a burden on the OCer to show a "...reasonable fear of bodily harm." I disagree with these as "reasonable fear" is subjective.

1 amendment (by rep Derby) dumps the entire bill and makes Oklahoma a constitutional carry and makes anyone with a gun buster sign legally liable for anything that happens to an unarmed citizen.

Derby Amendment said:
“SECTION 1. NEW LAW A new section of law to be codified in the Oklahoma Statutes as Section 1291 of Title 21, unless there is created a duplication in numbering, reads as follows:

Oklahoma shall be a Second Amendment state. All citizens have the individual right to keep and bear arms for his or her protection.

Persons or entities who prevent a citizen from exercising his or her individual Second Amendment rights are assuming the liability for protecting such citizen.

Any citizen of Oklahoma may request an endorsement on his or her Oklahoma driver license to serve as a concealed carry permit for recognition in this state and other states.”

I support the Derby Amendment as well. When you contact your reps, please express which amendments you support and which you don't.

jcizzle

Thanks for updating on this

I'm new to this. (am enrolled in a ccw class for april 2) but am wanting to keep up to date. I would see myself carrying concealed 99% of the time anyway but it's not about what I would do, it's about the fact that I should have the right to open carry if I decide to. I'll be sending some emails out tomorrow to show my support. I too support the constitutional carry amendment and like that they thought ahead to be sure and have the permit in some form on the driver license for travel outside the state.

hrdware

I'm new to this. (am enrolled in a ccw class for april 2) but am wanting to keep up to date. I would see myself carrying concealed 99% of the time anyway but it's not about what I would do, it's about the fact that I should have the right to open carry if I decide to. I'll be sending some emails out tomorrow to show my support. I too support the constitutional carry amendment and like that they thought ahead to be sure and have the permit in some form on the driver license for travel outside the state.

After thinking about the Derby Amendment for a bit, I am torn. I do like what it would do for people in Oklahoma, but I think we will loose reciprocity in many other states. A lot of states grant reciprocity because we have a training class that we must go through to get our CWL. Get rid of the class...loose some reciprocity.

protect our rights

As of March 9, 2011, 9:30PM there are 9 amendments pending for this legislation.

4 Amendments wish to remove the voting of the people next November and make it a legislative decision. I agree with these amendments.

4 amendments wish to put a burden on the OCer to show a "...reasonable fear of bodily harm." I disagree with these as "reasonable fear" is subjective.

1 amendment (by rep Derby) dumps the entire bill and makes Oklahoma a constitutional carry and makes anyone with a gun buster sign legally liable for anything that happens to an unarmed citizen.

I support the Derby Amendment as well. When you contact your reps, please express which amendments you support and which you don't.

Wow, now that would be nice, and we already have some relaxed laws here in Indiana. I love the business owners having to protect the carriers if they disallow them their rights.

Aknazer

After thinking about the Derby Amendment for a bit, I am torn. I do like what it would do for people in Oklahoma, but I think we will loose reciprocity in many other states. A lot of states grant reciprocity because we have a training class that we must go through to get our CWL. Get rid of the class...loose some reciprocity.

Then again if that happened it would give my wife (and probably other people) more incentive to go to Utah to become Utah CCW instructors. Utah recently changed their CCW permit and instructor certification laws (if you're a resident of a "shall issue" state then you have to have that license before getting the UT one; and for instructors I believe you have to go back to the state every so many years to renew your instructor cert), but it's honored in something like 30 states (for the non-resident license) and is fairly simple. It doesn't require you to actually qualify on the weapon and the instructor can do the fingerprints and pictures (though naturally the pictures have specific guidelines for what they would accept). The paperwork does require a notary stamp, but that shouldn't be too hard for the instructor to get.

I know all this because my dad is a Utah instructor and had been following the bill as it would effectively kill his business (he's currently overseas and teaches the class to military members stationed where he's at). But if Oklahoma went to this simple of a CCW license and lost a bunch of reciprocity then the few extra hoops they added for instructors could potentially be worth it. Or I'm sure people could find another state with not quite so many hoops and simply become an instructor for that state.

Last edited:

hrdware

Or we just open carry in those states. :D

jcizzle

True. Maybe a better place to be would be similar to AZ where it's constitutional carry but still having concealed permits from a class so other states would lot be as likely to discontinue honoring it.