Thread: Gun report just a big misunderstanding-Yakima

Gun report just a big misunderstanding-Yakima

YAKIMA, Wash.—About a dozen Yakima police officers responded this morning to a report of a man sitting in a truck with a gun on his lap at Social Security Administration.
    Full Story

Our last Police Chief just left for retirement here in Yakima.
    There was an incident a couple of year ago where I addressed the issue of Man with a gun call (MWAG) with him and these calls prompted responding officers to ask for more information when responding to these types of calls to determine their response.

Well today it seems that over reaction is alive and well here in Yakima with a MWAG call outside the Social Security Office while sitting in his car of all things. A person handing out fliers observed him having a gun and then calling police worried he may do something.

Police responded in full force (12 cars) and locked down the OIC building next door until such time they cuffed and placed him in the back of a patrol car just to find he has a current CPL and was, wait for it Doing Nothing Illegal and was released.

I will be contacting the current Acting Chief to see if he will talk with me on this very issue.

There was a video on tonight's news but has not yet been posted online, when it is I will post it here as well.
    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

That i absolutely insane.

Sorry the short link was not working for me....

http://www.yakima-herald.com/stories...sunderstanding
    YAKIMA, Wash. -- Wyatt McNulty was listening to country music and waiting for a friend in the parking lot of the Social Security Administration building Monday morning when the magazine popped out of the gun concealed in his waistband.

Quote Originally Posted by M1Gunr View Post
    Sorry the short link was not working for me....

http://www.yakima-herald.com/stories...sunderstanding
    Small town newspapers I guess, there is now two stories of the same thing (trying to fill the paper I guess) it now also has a title of "Moral of the story? Let the clip fall where it may"

I have sent off for public disclosure on written, audio and or video covering this event.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.

Campaign Veteran OlGutshotWilly's Avatar
    Good old Yakima........

Sending multiple police cars/officers/M16/AR15's to a lone guy sitting in his truck which could have been handled with a patrol car with two officers.

For all anyone knew who reported this, he was just a law abiding citizen putting his gun in the glovebox before locking his truck and going into a Federal Building.

However, it is instances like this that make me take a very good look around my car before transferring my gun to the glove box when I absolutely have to go into the school/federal buildings to make sure no one gets the chance to see me doing it and make a similar call.

The outgoing Police Chief was an OK guy. Too bad to see him leave.
    THE SECOND AMENDMENT: Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British, he shot them.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Government is not reason; it is not eloquent -- it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master."
    --George Washington,
    first U.S. president

The original story is no longer available thus the one is directed to now has a little more info, still not good.

I have sent off an email to the newspaper columnist, will see if I hear back from her.

Moral of the story? Let the clip fall where it may

link http://www.yakima-herald.com/stories...sunderstanding

O dear lord, a waistband warrior!?

I was wondering how that magazine might have "popped" out....(sigh)

Quote Originally Posted by FMCDH View Post
    O dear lord, a waistband warrior!?

I was wondering how that magazine might have "popped" out....(sigh)
    Well hopefully that is not the case but I see how one could come to this conclusion as written.

YAKIMA, Wash. -- Wyatt McNulty was listening to country music and waiting for a friend in the parking lot of the Social Security Administration building Monday morning when the magazine popped out of the gun concealed in his waistband.
    One of my holsters are IWB thus being concealed in my waistband.

[QUOTE=BigDave;1453525]Well hopefully that is not the case but I see how one could come to this conclusion as written.[QUOTE]

Perhaps he was using a pistol clip on a sub-compact. Hard to tell with no word on the type of pistol.
    Last edited by FMCDH; 01-26-2011 at 02:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FMCDH View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
    Well hopefully that is not the case but I see how one could come to this conclusion as written.
    Perhaps he was using a pistol clip on a sub-compact. Hard to tell with no word on the type of pistol.
    No doubt, when I have the documents in hand I will update, hopefully giving more light on this issue.

What i wanna know is how did he drop the magazine and why was he sitting there with it in his lap long enough to be seen? Yeah we can carry but be discreet with the loading it in the car... especially in Yakima.