• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First confrontation while UOC but not by LEO

MrChoi

Maybe confrontation is the wrong word but I had my first request to leave my "piece" behind when coming into the bank.

It was a regular day for me and walked into a bank UOC. Immediately one of the employees there zeroed in on my "piece." there was no line at the bank so I walked right up to the teller where he asked "are you an officer?"
I replied "no just open carry" later I realized I should have stopped after "no" that doesn't really matter but what he told me next was kinda annoying. He told me the next time I come in I need to leave my piece in the car because we have a policy againsts guns. I replied "oh do you have any literature to this policy?" I knew they didn't have a "policy" on it so we finished the transaction and talked for about 2 mins about my "piece" he also told me that he wasn't trying to give me a hard time but he's just doing what he was told to do. Of course I left without that literature and will continue to carry.

Oh forgot to mention when I asked why I should leave my piece in the car he replied "because it makes the people uneasy" what does that mean?

Just wanted to share.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
Maybe confrontation is the wrong word but I had my first request to leave my "piece" behind when coming into the bank.

It was a regular day for me and walked into a bank UOC. Immediately one of the employees there zeroed in on my "piece." there was no line at the bank so I walked right up to the teller where he asked "are you an officer?"
I replied "no just open carry" later I realized I should have stopped after "no" that doesn't really matter but what he told me next was kinda annoying. He told me the next time I come in I need to leave my piece in the car because we have a policy againsts guns. I replied "oh do you have any literature to this policy?" I knew they didn't have a "policy" on it so we finished the transaction and talked for about 2 mins about my "piece" he also told me that he wasn't trying to give me a hard time but he's just doing what he was told to do. Of course I left without that literature and will continue to carry.

Oh forgot to mention when I asked why I should leave my piece in the car he replied "because it makes the people uneasy" what does that mean?

Just wanted to share.

I think the word you are looking for is 'encounter'... or perhaps a 'teachable moment'.

The bank is a private commercial establishment on private property... they may institute any policies they deem necessary. Our job as open carry advocates is not to make them necessary. One of the ways in our power to prevent it from being necessary is to not ask to see a written policy or a sign prominently posted at the entrance.

It makes no sense to confront an employee about an alleged 'no guns' policy. Take the employee or manager's name, find the address of the corporate headquarters and write a brief letter to them detailing your encounter with their employee and tell them you do not wish to put your money in a bank that does not respect your right to secure your person and your money by being prepared. When the corporate officers respond, you will find out whether or not there really is a policy- if there isnt, you now have a letter from their headquarters to show the employee the next time you are in their money store.

This anecdote also reinforces the need to roleplay these scenarios in some detail... and answer for yourself just how you will react when;

Someone asks you if you are an officer...
Someone tells you to leave...
Someone advises you that they have called the police...
Someone asks why you are carrying that--- thing...
Someone focuses on the gun and shouts... HE'S GOT A GUN!

MrChoi

Thanks conditionthree. Your reply was a learning experience for me. I will keep your wise words in mind if I have another encounter.

I'm gonna keep the bank anonymous. I dont think there is a real need to know.

Thanks for the replies.

xnetc9

i did exactly this to home depot last week when a manager, who had a personal offense towards guns, threaten me with police. wrote to corp about the policy and the manager. the corp sent out notices through out california to allow citizens to uoc and had a talk with that rude manager.

most stores have an open policy about guns except movie theaters.