Thread: new to oc

new to oc

hi im new to the forum and new to oc. i have been carrying concealed for 6 years. today i went out oc for the first time. stopped by 2 stores and 1 mcdonalds. no weird looks or questions. i honestly dont think anyone noticed. all in all, a good day.

Welcome to the board and welcome to OC!

Glad things went well for you
    http://washoecountygunrights.blogspot.com/

*** I am NOT a Lawyer, and I DO NOT have any LEGAL EXPERIENCE OR QUALIFICATIONS ***

MOLON LABE

Welcome, and do not forget to check out our lunch on 2-5-11

My favorite part is when someone starts to get all bent out of shape and before you even respond to them someone else has already given them the "you aint in California anymore," line. Honestly, most people who do notice are conditioned to believe that you couldn't be a bad guy or you wouldn't have it out where everyone could see it. It seems like most negative encounters come as a result of people seeing someone's firearm when they meant to keep in concealed, because then they look like someone with something to hide.
    Last edited by Nevada carrier; 01-25-2011 at 06:47 PM.

28kfps
    Great an upswing in first timers. Welcome to one more open carry person. I carried concealed for over 13 years before I started open carrying. Only took me about 3 outings to get comfortable with the open firearm on my side. I started open carry because of this web site.

Thumbs up

Welcome to one of the best an most informative sites for OC info. This is where you get comfortable with the idea that there's no need to phreak out if LEO notices you or the tourists run away in fear for their....oh, never mind.
    "Let your gun be your companion on all your walks."
    -- Thomas Jefferson
    who might have wished he carried my .45ACP G-36 1+6+1

Welcome!

Glad to see some fresh meat around! Welcome to OC.

28kfps
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevada carrier View Post
    My favorite part is when someone starts to get all bent out of shape and before you even respond to them someone else has already given them the "you aint in California anymore," line. Honestly, most people who do notice are conditioned to believe that you couldn't be a bad guy or you wouldn't have it out where everyone could see it. It seems like most negative encounters come as a result of people seeing someone's firearm when they meant to keep in concealed, because then they look like someone with something to hide.
    You may be correct. A few years ago, I was in Las Vegas picking up a chair at RC Willies this was before I started open carrying. I was getting gas had a light pull over shirt on. I was leaning on my truck waiting while filling up my truck. I did not know it at the time my firearm was showing an easily to see outline. I notice a guy on the other side of the pump just staring at me. I gave him a smile and nod. No response. Next thing I notice he was boldly writing down my license plate number. This is when it finally hit me why. It appeared he was giving me that you are in trouble now look as he was writing down my plate number. I would have like to hear what the 911 operator told him.

Thumbs up

Here is my breakdown

80% don't notice
    19% do but don't care
    1% care and see a therapist because their mom didn't love them enough

That 1% is weird.. most will not say crap to you. But the ones who do will have the following reactions.

"IS THAT A GUN?!" or "You have been talking to be <x amount long> and you had a gun on you the whole time?!"
    (happened 3 days ago in Home Depot..I told him to man up and realize that in America gun ownership and carry is legal...the young kid [19?] took well to that one... know your audience!)

"Are you a cop or something"
    "You can't bring that in here" (My favorite)

And then there are those who will not say anything to you (probably smart in a way) but will run for a security guard or someone else. Most of the time when someone notices, it is just a chance for you to be the adult, respond calmly, and educate. I usually end my discussion with them urging them to consider taking their personal safety into their own hands.

28kfps

I would have blown a kiss to him or something. Or better yet start jotting down his plate #.

28kfps
    Quote Originally Posted by MilitaryMike View Post
    Here is my breakdown

80% don't notice
    19% do but don't care
    1% care and see a therapist because their mom didn't love them enough

That 1% is weird.. most will not say crap to you. But the ones who do will have the following reactions.

"IS THAT A GUN?!" or "You have been talking to be <x amount long> and you had a gun on you the whole time?!"
    (happened 3 days ago in Home Depot..I told him to man up and realize that in America gun ownership and carry is legal...the young kid [19?] took well to that one... know your audience!)

"Are you a cop or something"
    "You can't bring that in here" (My favorite)

And then there are those who will not say anything to you (probably smart in a way) but will run for a security guard or someone else. Most of the time when someone notices, it is just a chance for you to be the adult, respond calmly, and educate. I usually end my discussion with them urging them to consider taking their personal safety into their own hands.

28kfps

I would have blown a kiss to him or something. Or better yet start jotting down his plate #.
    I can be quite the smart a$$ and have use your suggest method with desired results however I had been up for about 16 hours and was too tired to mess with him. I will say there is just something about seeing a 240 lb, 6ft, half-bald over 55 old man winking and blowing a kiss. Stops them in their tracks. When using that tactic I often have to do it twice because they just do not believe what they saw.

Quote Originally Posted by 28kfps View Post
    I can be quite the smart a$$ and have use your suggest method with desired results however I had been up for about 16 hours and was too tired to mess with him. I will say there is just something about seeing a 240 lb, 6ft, half-bald over 55 old man winking and blowing a kiss. Stops them in their tracks. When using that tactic I often have to do it twice because they just do not believe what they saw.

Alternatively, just loudly proclaim, "thanks for the interest, but I'm in a relationship..."
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Thanks for all the comments. I more than likely wont be able to make the next lunch, however I would like to go to the next one.

Quote Originally Posted by DON`T TREAD ON ME View Post
    Welcome, and do not forget to check out our lunch on 2-5-11
    Whats the low down on the lunch I completely missed the memo!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vroom_vroom View Post
    Whats the low down on the lunch I completely missed the memo!!!
    Next week.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...en-Carry-Lunch
    EDC=XDm40 16+1+16+16

RED DRAGONS!!!!