• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

new to oc

phreak

hi im new to the forum and new to oc. i have been carrying concealed for 6 years. today i went out oc for the first time. stopped by 2 stores and 1 mcdonalds. no weird looks or questions. i honestly dont think anyone noticed. all in all, a good day.

Nevada carrier

My favorite part is when someone starts to get all bent out of shape and before you even respond to them someone else has already given them the "you aint in California anymore," line. Honestly, most people who do notice are conditioned to believe that you couldn't be a bad guy or you wouldn't have it out where everyone could see it. It seems like most negative encounters come as a result of people seeing someone's firearm when they meant to keep in concealed, because then they look like someone with something to hide.

Last edited:

28kfps

Great an upswing in first timers. Welcome to one more open carry person. I carried concealed for over 13 years before I started open carrying. Only took me about 3 outings to get comfortable with the open firearm on my side. I started open carry because of this web site.

45 ACP rocks

Welcome to one of the best an most informative sites for OC info. This is where you get comfortable with the idea that there's no need to phreak out if LEO notices you or the tourists run away in fear for their....oh, never mind.

28kfps

My favorite part is when someone starts to get all bent out of shape and before you even respond to them someone else has already given them the "you aint in California anymore," line. Honestly, most people who do notice are conditioned to believe that you couldn't be a bad guy or you wouldn't have it out where everyone could see it. It seems like most negative encounters come as a result of people seeing someone's firearm when they meant to keep in concealed, because then they look like someone with something to hide.

You may be correct. A few years ago, I was in Las Vegas picking up a chair at RC Willies this was before I started open carrying. I was getting gas had a light pull over shirt on. I was leaning on my truck waiting while filling up my truck. I did not know it at the time my firearm was showing an easily to see outline. I notice a guy on the other side of the pump just staring at me. I gave him a smile and nod. No response. Next thing I notice he was boldly writing down my license plate number. This is when it finally hit me why. It appeared he was giving me that you are in trouble now look as he was writing down my plate number. I would have like to hear what the 911 operator told him.

MilitaryMike

Here is my breakdown

80% don't notice
19% do but don't care
1% care and see a therapist because their mom didn't love them enough

That 1% is weird.. most will not say crap to you. But the ones who do will have the following reactions.

"IS THAT A GUN?!" or "You have been talking to be <x amount long> and you had a gun on you the whole time?!"
(happened 3 days ago in Home Depot..I told him to man up and realize that in America gun ownership and carry is legal...the young kid [19?] took well to that one... know your audience!)

"Are you a cop or something"
"You can't bring that in here" (My favorite)

And then there are those who will not say anything to you (probably smart in a way) but will run for a security guard or someone else. Most of the time when someone notices, it is just a chance for you to be the adult, respond calmly, and educate. I usually end my discussion with them urging them to consider taking their personal safety into their own hands.

28kfps

I would have blown a kiss to him or something. Or better yet start jotting down his plate #.

28kfps

Here is my breakdown

80% don't notice
19% do but don't care
1% care and see a therapist because their mom didn't love them enough

That 1% is weird.. most will not say crap to you. But the ones who do will have the following reactions.

"IS THAT A GUN?!" or "You have been talking to be <x amount long> and you had a gun on you the whole time?!"
(happened 3 days ago in Home Depot..I told him to man up and realize that in America gun ownership and carry is legal...the young kid [19?] took well to that one... know your audience!)

"Are you a cop or something"
"You can't bring that in here" (My favorite)

And then there are those who will not say anything to you (probably smart in a way) but will run for a security guard or someone else. Most of the time when someone notices, it is just a chance for you to be the adult, respond calmly, and educate. I usually end my discussion with them urging them to consider taking their personal safety into their own hands.

28kfps

I would have blown a kiss to him or something. Or better yet start jotting down his plate #.

I can be quite the smart a$$ and have use your suggest method with desired results however I had been up for about 16 hours and was too tired to mess with him. I will say there is just something about seeing a 240 lb, 6ft, half-bald over 55 old man winking and blowing a kiss. Stops them in their tracks. When using that tactic I often have to do it twice because they just do not believe what they saw.

wrightme

I can be quite the smart a$$ and have use your suggest method with desired results however I had been up for about 16 hours and was too tired to mess with him. I will say there is just something about seeing a 240 lb, 6ft, half-bald over 55 old man winking and blowing a kiss. Stops them in their tracks. When using that tactic I often have to do it twice because they just do not believe what they saw.

Alternatively, just loudly proclaim, "thanks for the interest, but I'm in a relationship..."

phreak

Thanks for all the comments. I more than likely wont be able to make the next lunch, however I would like to go to the next one.