Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Portage Daily Register Article - - Wisconsin doesn't need concealed-carry law

Portage Daily Register Article - - Wisconsin doesn't need concealed-carry law

http://www.wiscnews.com/portagedaily...cc4c03286.html

Posted: Sunday, January 23, 2011 11:45 pm | (5) Comments

Gov. Scott Walker would like to pass concealed-carry legislation in Wisconsin. It is very possible that gun advocates will have their way and the law would allow anyone to carry guns in public with no permit and no restrictions.

The law would likely not require any training or background checks. This proposal gun advocates cite as using the Arizona model.

It is important to consider that since passage of the concealed-carry legislation in Arizona, their firearm homicide rate is more than double that of Wisconsin. Would our children and grandchildren be safer? I don't think so.

Sue Bradley, Portage
    http://youtu.be/xWgVGu3OR4U AACFI, Wisconsin / Minnesota Carry Certified. Action Pistol & Advanced Action pistol concepts + Urban Carbine course. When the entitlement Zombies begin looting, pillaging, raping, burning & killing..remember HEAD SHOTS it's the only way to kill a Zombie. Stockpile food & water now.

Please support your local,county, state & Federal Law enforcement agencies, right ???

Quote Originally Posted by Glock34 View Post

It is important to consider that since passage of the concealed-carry legislation in Arizona, their firearm homicide rate is more than double that of Wisconsin. Would our children and grandchildren be safer? I don't think so.
    This is what's known as a specious argument.

Sue Bradley, Portage
    It used to be higher because of all the illegals! They'd murder someone, then get deported, then come back and do it again! Some people should do their research before spouting off misinformation and/or lies.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Reporters lying? What a shock.............not.
    In God I trust. Everyone else needs to keep your hands where I can see them.

The reason their is so much gun violence in AZ is because of the Drug war that has spilled over into the USA & the Boarder states. Also the Reason the citizens of AZ wanted Constitutional carry is to defend themselves from the illegal drug dealing, kidnapping, police killing criminals. This article fails to point out that fact, talk about a news source NOT being fair & Balanced
    Last edited by GLOCK21GB; 01-25-2011 at 11:20 AM.
    http://youtu.be/xWgVGu3OR4U AACFI, Wisconsin / Minnesota Carry Certified. Action Pistol & Advanced Action pistol concepts + Urban Carbine course. When the entitlement Zombies begin looting, pillaging, raping, burning & killing..remember HEAD SHOTS it's the only way to kill a Zombie. Stockpile food & water now.

Please support your local,county, state & Federal Law enforcement agencies, right ???

Quote::

"In 2004, the U.S. National Academy of Sciences released its evaluation from a review of 253 journal articles, 99 books, 43 government publications, and some original empirical research. It failed to identify any gun control that had reduced violent crime, suicide, or gun accidents. The same conclusion was reached in 2003 by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control's review of then-extant studies."

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m.../ai_n29346290/

"Firearms are the source of all statistics"
    Last edited by Flipper; 01-25-2011 at 12:18 PM.
    When in danger you can dial 911 and hope for the police to arrive a few minutes later armed with guns.
    Why do police carry guns?

The Joyce Foundation funded firearm control empire:
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...lFundingR1.png

"Everything that we see is a shadow cast by that which we do not see." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Regular Member oliverclotheshoff's Avatar
    that used to be my english teacher in portage high school and she is so left that she has two left hands
    SCOTT

"When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns"

"When seconds count police are minutes away"

"Dialing 911 only takes seconds but waiting for help may take the rest of your life"

http://g2-elite.com/phpbb/index.php Shed Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by protias View Post
    It used to be higher because of all the illegals! They'd murder someone, then get deported, then come back and do it again! Some people should do their research before spouting off misinformation and/or lies.
    The reason their is so much gun violence in AZ is because of the Drug war that has spilled over into the USA & the Boarder states. Also the Reason the citizens of AZ wanted Constitutional carry is to defend themselves from the illegal drug dealing, kidnapping, police killing criminals. This article fails to point out that fact, talk about a news source NOT being fair & Balanced
    Both very good points. No doubt about it, WI is not AZ. A lot of the issues that AZ has, we will never have. The border war is one that I can't even get into on this forum, as I am sure I would get banned if I got going. I can only say that to me it is an act of war. I feel for all Americans that live near the border of Mexico. Worst part is, I think we are just seeing the start of it all. I guess time will tell...
    Last edited by AaronS; 01-25-2011 at 03:32 PM.

1: I assume you all have somehow verified her claim, that the murder rate in AZ is double WI's? I give little credence to any reporter that spouts statistics and figures with nothing to back them up.

2: Given the low numer of comments, I assume the reader rate of this drivel is nominal

3: Did you notice Doug made a comment?
    What part of "shall not be infringed" don't you understand?

Regular Member oliverclotheshoff's Avatar
    we do have to worry about our northern border the crazy canadians and all
    SCOTT

"When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns"

"When seconds count police are minutes away"

"Dialing 911 only takes seconds but waiting for help may take the rest of your life"

http://g2-elite.com/phpbb/index.php Shed Hunting

McX
    wisconsin doesnt need a concealed carry law? based on the theory that Open Carry will be respected by both the citizens and police............right?

Notice that she didnt compare IL to WI murder rate...? I dont have IL rate available...but that state has laws that most antis only dream about...yet the criminals dont obey them...whoda thunk?

What about the huge amount of crime in Alaska? If Arizona has so much gun violence simply due to their unlicensed carry laws then Alaska should be a close second right? Here is a summary of their firearm laws.

Rifles and Shotguns

* Permit to purchase rifles and shotguns? No
    * Registration of rifles and shotguns? No
    * Licensing of owners of rifles and shotguns? No
    * Permit to carry rifles and shotguns? No

Handguns

* Permit to purchase handgun? No
    * Registration of handguns? No
    * Licensing of owners of handguns? No
    * Permit to carry handguns? No*

According to the National Rifle Assc., "A permit to carry a concealed handgun is not necessary in Alaska, but permits are available to those who want to carry in states that recognize Alaska permits."

Purchase
    No state permit is required to purchase a rifle, shotgun or handgun.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by GlockRDH View Post
    Notice that she didnt compare IL to WI murder rate...? I dont have IL rate available...but that state has laws that most antis only dream about...yet the criminals dont obey them...whoda thunk?
    It could be that the criminals just can't read well. We should start a criminal reading class. This way they would know all about the GFSZ, and other places that they can not use a gun. See, problem solved, crime goes down 50%.

(yes this is a joke)

She should have just said "I and a VERY small portion of the population believe Wisconsin doesn't need concealed-carry law." At least that would have been more along the lines of the truth.
    Wisconsin Carry Member
    My Castle Doctrine Law

Don't wish ill upon your enemy......plan it.

Peoples' Republic of Madison, Wisconsin, USA
    I don't think Wisconsin needs a concealed carry law either.

I think we need to do away with our current concealed carry law, and a few others while we're cleaning up the books.

Quote Originally Posted by Brendon .45 View Post

I think we need to do away with our current concealed carry law, and a few others while we're cleaning up the books.
    Well put.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronS View Post
    Well put.
    this. i do agree

Quote Originally Posted by Brendon .45 View Post

+1 and AMEN
    My cats support the Second Amendment. NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, & Personal Protection - NRA Certified Range Safety Officer, Utah BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor.
    "Permission Slips" from Utah, Pennsylvania, Nevada, Arizona, and Florida. _ Verily, thou shalt not fiddle with thine firearm whilst in the bathroom stall, lest thine spouse seek condolences from thine friends.

So how many of us have responded to this specious argument in print or online, so far... Me and Doug? Come on. Put it in print where it counts. Your just preaching to the choir here.

Quote Originally Posted by hardballer View Post
    So how many of us have responded to this specious argument in print or online, so far... Me and Doug? Come on. Put it in print where it counts. Your just preaching to the choir here.
    Honestly because I dont feel the need. The reporters drivel is read by so few it would seem counter productive. I think I may have heard of Portage Wisconsin, couldnt find it on a map though.
    What part of "shall not be infringed" don't you understand?

Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddy1 View Post
    Honestly because I dont feel the need. The reporters drivel is read by so few it would seem counter productive. I think I may have heard of Portage Wisconsin, couldnt find it on a map though.
    OK BD, I just hope others don't follow your lead. Every time someone makes an asinine statement like that, we must meet them with an appropriate response. It took me 10 minutes to start an account and write two comments. If every time, they are met with logic and facts and not allowed to let their BS stand, we can change things in this state. It won't happen if we don't have 10 minutes to confront lies and rhetoric when the raise their ugly head.

As for readers, I read it. Several others here read it and you can bet it was passed around elsewhere too. More people than you think are exposed to these leftist, liberal lies and must be confronted. Otherwise, the real waste of time is right here at the OCDO.

It used to be higher because of all the illegals! They'd murder someone, then get deported, then come back and do it again!
    Illegals who commit murder are jailed in AZ, not deported*. Mexico has asked Arizona to deport criminals who were subject to the death penalty. Arizona declined to do so.

As for why AZ citizens wanted constitutional carry. Well I was an AZ resident for over 20 years until last month and I can tell you it had more to do with how silly it was that a simple permit suddenly allowed you to CC. Also, there was the whole shirt flap scenario. Is it concealed under the moving shirt flap or is it partially visible (as required by law to be considered OC and thus legal) as the person moves around? Additionally, there was the car transport issue. We didnt want to have to have our guns in the open.. stashed under an arm rest for instance was considered concealed carry. If some notebook or papers slid around on your seat and inadvertantly coverd your gun, that was an example of concealed carry.

In short, the laws differentiating between OC and CC were just plain silly. In AZ there's not enough liberal politicians currently in power to block common sense and clearly stated Constitutional rights.

To argue against anyone who opposes CC, one has to merely point out that in ALL instances(including AZ in spite of its huge influx of illegal aliens), the crime rate went DOWN after CC was instituted. There is no State example where the murder rate went up once CC was allowed.... not a single one.

* Of those in AZ jails who have committed murder, 13% are illegal aliens, yet illegal aliens only make up 7% of the State population.
    Last edited by 1FASTC4; 01-29-2011 at 04:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1FASTC4 View Post
    Illegals who commit murder are jailed in AZ, not deported*. Mexico has asked Arizona to deport criminals who were subject to the death penalty. Arizona declined to do so.

As for why AZ citizens wanted constitutional carry. Well I was an AZ resident for over 20 years until last month and I can tell you it had more to do with how silly it was that a simple permit suddenly allowed you to CC. Also, there was the whole shirt flap scenario. Is it concealed under the moving shirt flap or is it partially visible (as required by law to be considered OC and thus legal) as the person moves around? Additionally, there was the car transport issue. We didnt want to have to have our guns in the open.. stashed under an arm rest for instance was considered concealed carry. If some notebook or papers slid around on your seat and inadvertantly coverd your gun, that was an example of concealed carry.

In short, the laws differentiating between OC and CC were just plain silly. In AZ there's not enough liberal politicians currently in power to block common sense and clearly stated Constitutional rights.

To argue against anyone who opposes CC, one has to merely point out that in ALL instances(including AZ in spite of its huge influx of illegal aliens), the crime rate went DOWN after CC was instituted. There is no State example where the murder rate went up once CC was allowed.... not a single one.

* Of those in AZ jails who have committed murder, 13% are illegal aliens, yet illegal aliens only make up 7% of the State population.
    Thanks for that information. It sounds a lot like WI, like if you reach to grab something on the top shelf and your jacket accidentally covers your firearm, it is then concealed.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Thanks for that information. It sounds a lot like WI, like if you reach to grab something on the top shelf and your jacket accidentally covers your firearm, it is then concealed.
    This is why winter carry is so hard for me. I got to get a new (short) coat I guess, but I get so cold...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast