• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Portage Daily Register Article - - Wisconsin doesn't need concealed-carry law

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
http://www.wiscnews.com/portagedail...cle_141c179c-277c-11e0-b3ea-001cc4c03286.html

Posted: Sunday, January 23, 2011 11:45 pm | (5) Comments

Gov. Scott Walker would like to pass concealed-carry legislation in Wisconsin. It is very possible that gun advocates will have their way and the law would allow anyone to carry guns in public with no permit and no restrictions.

The law would likely not require any training or background checks. This proposal gun advocates cite as using the Arizona model.

It is important to consider that since passage of the concealed-carry legislation in Arizona, their firearm homicide rate is more than double that of Wisconsin. Would our children and grandchildren be safer? I don't think so.

Sue Bradley, Portage

protias

http://www.wiscnews.com/portagedail...cle_141c179c-277c-11e0-b3ea-001cc4c03286.html
It is important to consider that since passage of the concealed-carry legislation in Arizona, their firearm homicide rate is more than double that of Wisconsin. Would our children and grandchildren be safer? I don't think so.

Sue Bradley, Portage

It used to be higher because of all the illegals! They'd murder someone, then get deported, then come back and do it again! Some people should do their research before spouting off misinformation and/or lies.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
The reason their is so much gun violence in AZ is because of the Drug war that has spilled over into the USA & the Boarder states. Also the Reason the citizens of AZ wanted Constitutional carry is to defend themselves from the illegal drug dealing, kidnapping, police killing criminals. This article fails to point out that fact, talk about a news source NOT being fair & Balanced

Last edited:

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
Quote::

"In 2004, the U.S. National Academy of Sciences released its evaluation from a review of 253 journal articles, 99 books, 43 government publications, and some original empirical research. It failed to identify any gun control that had reduced violent crime, suicide, or gun accidents. The same conclusion was reached in 2003 by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control's review of then-extant studies."

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_go2782/is_2_30/ai_n29346290/

"Firearms are the source of all statistics" :D

Last edited:

AaronS

It used to be higher because of all the illegals! They'd murder someone, then get deported, then come back and do it again! Some people should do their research before spouting off misinformation and/or lies.

The reason their is so much gun violence in AZ is because of the Drug war that has spilled over into the USA & the Boarder states. Also the Reason the citizens of AZ wanted Constitutional carry is to defend themselves from the illegal drug dealing, kidnapping, police killing criminals. This article fails to point out that fact, talk about a news source NOT being fair & Balanced

Both very good points. No doubt about it, WI is not AZ. A lot of the issues that AZ has, we will never have. The border war is one that I can't even get into on this forum, as I am sure I would get banned if I got going. I can only say that to me it is an act of war. I feel for all Americans that live near the border of Mexico. Worst part is, I think we are just seeing the start of it all. I guess time will tell...

Last edited:

bigdaddy1

1: I assume you all have somehow verified her claim, that the murder rate in AZ is double WI's? I give little credence to any reporter that spouts statistics and figures with nothing to back them up.

2: Given the low numer of comments, I assume the reader rate of this drivel is nominal

3: Did you notice Doug made a comment?

M

McX

wisconsin doesnt need a concealed carry law? based on the theory that Open Carry will be respected by both the citizens and police............right?

Carcharodon

What about the huge amount of crime in Alaska? If Arizona has so much gun violence simply due to their unlicensed carry laws then Alaska should be a close second right? Here is a summary of their firearm laws.

Rifles and Shotguns

* Permit to purchase rifles and shotguns? No
* Registration of rifles and shotguns? No
* Licensing of owners of rifles and shotguns? No
* Permit to carry rifles and shotguns? No

Handguns

* Permit to purchase handgun? No
* Registration of handguns? No
* Licensing of owners of handguns? No
* Permit to carry handguns? No*

According to the National Rifle Assc., "A permit to carry a concealed handgun is not necessary in Alaska, but permits are available to those who want to carry in states that recognize Alaska permits."

Purchase
No state permit is required to purchase a rifle, shotgun or handgun.

AaronS

Notice that she didnt compare IL to WI murder rate...? I dont have IL rate available...but that state has laws that most antis only dream about...yet the criminals dont obey them...whoda thunk?

It could be that the criminals just can't read well. We should start a criminal reading class. This way they would know all about the GFSZ, and other places that they can not use a gun. See, problem solved, crime goes down 50%.

(yes this is a joke)

XDFDE45

She should have just said "I and a VERY small portion of the population believe Wisconsin doesn't need concealed-carry law." At least that would have been more along the lines of the truth.

hardballer

So how many of us have responded to this specious argument in print or online, so far... Me and Doug? Come on. Put it in print where it counts. Your just preaching to the choir here.