• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Portage Daily Register Article - - Wisconsin doesn't need concealed-carry law

bigdaddy1

So how many of us have responded to this specious argument in print or online, so far... Me and Doug? Come on. Put it in print where it counts. Your just preaching to the choir here.

Honestly because I dont feel the need. The reporters drivel is read by so few it would seem counter productive. I think I may have heard of Portage Wisconsin, couldnt find it on a map though.

hardballer

Honestly because I dont feel the need. The reporters drivel is read by so few it would seem counter productive. I think I may have heard of Portage Wisconsin, couldnt find it on a map though.

OK BD, I just hope others don't follow your lead. Every time someone makes an asinine statement like that, we must meet them with an appropriate response. It took me 10 minutes to start an account and write two comments. If every time, they are met with logic and facts and not allowed to let their BS stand, we can change things in this state. It won't happen if we don't have 10 minutes to confront lies and rhetoric when the raise their ugly head.

As for readers, I read it. Several others here read it and you can bet it was passed around elsewhere too. More people than you think are exposed to these leftist, liberal lies and must be confronted. Otherwise, the real waste of time is right here at the OCDO.

1FASTC4

It used to be higher because of all the illegals! They'd murder someone, then get deported, then come back and do it again!

Illegals who commit murder are jailed in AZ, not deported*. Mexico has asked Arizona to deport criminals who were subject to the death penalty. Arizona declined to do so.

As for why AZ citizens wanted constitutional carry. Well I was an AZ resident for over 20 years until last month and I can tell you it had more to do with how silly it was that a simple permit suddenly allowed you to CC. Also, there was the whole shirt flap scenario. Is it concealed under the moving shirt flap or is it partially visible (as required by law to be considered OC and thus legal) as the person moves around? Additionally, there was the car transport issue. We didnt want to have to have our guns in the open.. stashed under an arm rest for instance was considered concealed carry. If some notebook or papers slid around on your seat and inadvertantly coverd your gun, that was an example of concealed carry.

In short, the laws differentiating between OC and CC were just plain silly. In AZ there's not enough liberal politicians currently in power to block common sense and clearly stated Constitutional rights.

To argue against anyone who opposes CC, one has to merely point out that in ALL instances(including AZ in spite of its huge influx of illegal aliens), the crime rate went DOWN after CC was instituted. There is no State example where the murder rate went up once CC was allowed.... not a single one.

* Of those in AZ jails who have committed murder, 13% are illegal aliens, yet illegal aliens only make up 7% of the State population.

Last edited:

protias

Illegals who commit murder are jailed in AZ, not deported*. Mexico has asked Arizona to deport criminals who were subject to the death penalty. Arizona declined to do so.

As for why AZ citizens wanted constitutional carry. Well I was an AZ resident for over 20 years until last month and I can tell you it had more to do with how silly it was that a simple permit suddenly allowed you to CC. Also, there was the whole shirt flap scenario. Is it concealed under the moving shirt flap or is it partially visible (as required by law to be considered OC and thus legal) as the person moves around? Additionally, there was the car transport issue. We didnt want to have to have our guns in the open.. stashed under an arm rest for instance was considered concealed carry. If some notebook or papers slid around on your seat and inadvertantly coverd your gun, that was an example of concealed carry.

In short, the laws differentiating between OC and CC were just plain silly. In AZ there's not enough liberal politicians currently in power to block common sense and clearly stated Constitutional rights.

To argue against anyone who opposes CC, one has to merely point out that in ALL instances(including AZ in spite of its huge influx of illegal aliens), the crime rate went DOWN after CC was instituted. There is no State example where the murder rate went up once CC was allowed.... not a single one.

* Of those in AZ jails who have committed murder, 13% are illegal aliens, yet illegal aliens only make up 7% of the State population.

Thanks for that information. It sounds a lot like WI, like if you reach to grab something on the top shelf and your jacket accidentally covers your firearm, it is then concealed.

AaronS

Thanks for that information. It sounds a lot like WI, like if you reach to grab something on the top shelf and your jacket accidentally covers your firearm, it is then concealed.

This is why winter carry is so hard for me. I got to get a new (short) coat I guess, but I get so cold...

bigdaddy1

OK BD, I just hope others don't follow your lead. Every time someone makes an asinine statement like that, we must meet them with an appropriate response. It took me 10 minutes to start an account and write two comments. If every time, they are met with logic and facts and not allowed to let their BS stand, we can change things in this state. It won't happen if we don't have 10 minutes to confront lies and rhetoric when the raise their ugly head.

As for readers, I read it. Several others here read it and you can bet it was passed around elsewhere too. More people than you think are exposed to these leftist, liberal lies and must be confronted. Otherwise, the real waste of time is right here at the OCDO.

If there were no opposing posts, I would have chimed in. You and Dougy seem to have it covered in this case.

1FASTC4

Exactly! Those who listen to their common sense realize just how arbitrary the definition of "concealed" is, at least in the case of carrying a firearm. For instance: if you carry your gun on your right side, is it "concealed" from those on your left? Some people argue "yes". It's just silly.

Constitutional carry really is the only acceptable way to go. A permit is just a piece of paper. Concealed carry training won't change the mental makeup of a person so it will in no way influence the crime rate among those who choose to conceal their weapons.

As for myself, I will not submit to any permit requirements. It's not the Govt's business if I own or carry a weapon. I feel very strongly about this since the gun seizures stemming from Katrina. Sure the Govt decided it was wrong to seize the weapons.. well after the fact and probably just to quell public outrage. That doesn't mean anything to me. They have tipped their hand as far as I'm concerned; they will seize guns at their whim. If you have a CC permit, they will assume you have a gun(s).

Those advocating for a permit system or "Baby steps" towards constitutional carrry either have some agenda or aren't truly committed to our right to defend ourselves and those around us(read 2nd amendment). It's just more silly nonsense. No effective argument can be made for a permit system.

Whoa... stepping off the soapbox now.

Go Pack!.

Last edited:

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
So what's not to like?

This is why winter carry is so hard for me. I got to get a new (short) coat I guess, but I get so cold...
I feel your pain! I finally swallowed my pride and bought a tactical holster. At first I thought I must look like a SWAT wannabe, but I'm getting over it.

I'm legal, comfortable and my weapon is secure. The holster was $16.95, stealth black, and super adjustable... so what's not to like? Only one thing; when I sit down at a table across from somebody, I'm sweeping their crotch.... :shocker::uhoh:

hardballer

Exactly! Those who listen to their common sense realize just how arbitrary the definition of "concealed" is, at least in the case of carrying a firearm. For instance: if you carry your gun on your right side, is it "concealed" from those on your left? Some people argue "yes". It's just silly.

Constitutional carry really is the only acceptable way to go. A permit is just a piece of paper. Concealed carry training won't change the mental makeup of a person so it will in no way influence the crime rate among those who choose to conceal their weapons.

As for myself, I will not submit to any permit requirements. It's not the Govt's business if I own or carry a weapon. I feel very strongly about this since the gun seizures stemming from Katrina. Sure the Govt decided it was wrong to seize the weapons.. well after the fact and probably just to quell public outrage. That doesn't mean anything to me. They have tipped their hand as far as I'm concerned; they will seize guns at their whim. If you have a CC permit, they will assume you have a gun(s).

Those advocating for a permit system or "Baby steps" towards constitutional carrry either have some agenda or aren't truly committed to our right to defend ourselves and those around us(read 2nd amendment). It's just more silly nonsense. No effective argument can be made for a permit system.

Whoa... stepping off the soapbox now.

Go Pack!.

+1 Very well put!!!