• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

To Bear or Not To Bear: Guns in Educational Institutions

PDinDetroit

The event is free and open to the public and will be held in the Auditorium on the 6th floor of Cooley's Temple Building located at: 217 South Capitol Avenue, Lansing, MI 49801 on Friday, February 4th from 1-4 p.m.

The Thomas M. Cooley Journal of Practical and Clinical Law invites the public to its first legal conference. Speakers as diverse as the executive director of the Coalition to Stop Gun Violence and the author of "More Guns, Less Crime" will discuss the legal and ethical implications of recent legislation introduced in part to remove educational facilities from the list of areas where handguns are banned. "Of course, we have been planning this event for some time," said Legal Conference Committee Chair Lynnette Hill, "but recent national events have made the issue all the more relevant. This is an opportunity for people on both sides of the gun control debate to hear nationally recognized experts discuss both the arguments and our rights." This event is free and Lansing-area residents are encouraged to attend.

The list of presenters includes attorneys, professors, best-selling authors, and nationally-known experts on both sides of the gun control debate:

* Dr. John Lott, Senior Research Scientist, UM, Author of "More Guns, Less Crime," and, "The Bias Against Guns."
* James Manley, Mountain States Legal Foundation
* Dennis Henigan, Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence
* Josh Horwitz, Coalition to Stop Gun Violence
* John Johnson, Campaign to Keep Guns of Campus
* Professor Steven Dulan, Adjunct Professor, Cooley Law School, and member of the Board of Directors of MCRGO and the MCRGO Foundation.

The format will be a presentation/debate with time for audience questions. There is ample seating available and interested persons are invited to attend. Professional dress is not required. NOTE: Cooley is a private institution which prohibits firearms on its premises.

http://search.lansingstatejournal.c...-Not-To-Bear-Guns-in-Educational-Institutions

TheQ

I was made aware of this about an hour ago by a contact. Looks interesting. If I can get the day off (doubt it), I'll go.