• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

video recording

Disillusioned

Any experiences with video recording in Louisiana? Listening to the radio this morning there was a discussion about being charged if you record the police and consider you are part of the investigation/crime. Somebody in Chicago is subject to 15 years in prison of recording but we all know how F’ed up Chicago is.

I conceal/carry mostly (on occasion open carry) but always have a pen camera in my pocket, just in case I feel I need to protect myself from anything out of my control, like LEO, TSA or over enthusiastic security guards, but mostly to record at fast food outlets when I need a good laugh.

estcrh

Any experiences with video recording in Louisiana? Listening to the radio this morning there was a discussion about being charged if you record the police and consider you are part of the investigation/crime. Somebody in Chicago is subject to 15 years in prison of recording but we all know how F’ed up Chicago is.

I conceal/carry mostly (on occasion open carry) but always have a pen camera in my pocket, just in case I feel I need to protect myself from anything out of my control, like LEO, TSA or over enthusiastic security guards, but mostly to record at fast food outlets when I need a good laugh.

I have been doing some research on "sousveillance" which is a form of inverse surveillance. Sousveillance is were the watched turn the tables and suddenly become the watchers by recording what happens around them at eye level including recording the actions of criminals and authority figures. Here is an article on how it all works. http://www.hplusmagazine.com/articl...nce-wearable-computing-and-citizen-undersight

When these images are instantly uploaded to the internet it is impossible for anyone who you observe, whether a criminal or an authority figure to destroy the images you capture as images are not stored on the device but are stored online at a remote location. Recording the immediate environment your in such as walking down the street etc is not illegal any more that having a surveillance camera on the outside of your building is illegal. These devices are now beginning to enter the market and while no yet able to upload images immediately is only a matter of time before that happens. http://viconrevue.com/product.html

Having a small device that you can wear on you that records all activities that you can see with your eyes will allow you to retain images of criminal acts, accidents, abuses of authority etc that you may come across during your daily routine. Wearing a device like this on the front and back will allow someone to record an almost 360 degree view of what went on all around you as you walked any were you went, including what went on behind you, such as a criminal coming from behind to rob you etc. For people that carry a gun a device like this would prove very useful in case of any harassment from law enforcement officials.

KBCraig

Carlos Miller has some bigguns!

When he moved to Pixiq it messed up my RSS feed, since now I get every article they post. Luckily, I like photography too, plus Carlos isn't the only one posting there about the legal issues surrounding audio/video/still recording of government buildings and government agents.

Tom, I was down your way before Christmas, to "see the lights". Well, we saw them, sure enough: brake lights. Tens of thousands of them. There was the occasional flashing blue & red, but it was mostly brake lights. We caught a few glimpses of fireworks through the trees and buildings while navigating downtown streets reduced to a single lane by double-parking on both sides.

Wow! Lesson learned! Town of 18,000 residents and 60,000 cars, at least between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

We finally made it out alive and some local friends were able to meet us for sandwiches at Magee's. Last weekend they met us in the middle, in Shreveport at Crawdaddy's. That's much better. ;)

Tom Gresham

KBCraig, Natchitoches is busy on Saturdays during the Christmas season. The first Saturday is the big Christmas Festival, but other weekends are not too bad.

I moved from Natchitoches in September and now live on The North Shore (Covington/Mandevile area).

Really liking it here.

KBCraig

I moved from Natchitoches in September and now live on The North Shore (Covington/Mandevile area).

Really liking it here.
Ah, I didn't realize that. Glad you like the move.

Natchitoches is a beautiful town. We'd been there a couple of times before, but we wanted to see the festival we'd always heard about. We went the second weekend, and it was packed. It took about two hours from the corner of the NSU campus, get downtown, make a loop and turn back, and get back to Magee's.

We promised BabyGirl that we'll go back for a Steel Magnolias tour sometime when it's not so touristy.