• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is it legal to open carry a loaded rifle in WA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

j2l3

The law is silent on the issue, therefore legal. Do not place a loaded rifle in a vehicle, ever. That is frowned upon.

Is it a good idea? Depends on your point of view and how much hassle you feel like dealing with.

sudden valley gunner

Might want to study the Spencer case, I believe it is too.

Although demeanor and manner of carry were in my opinion the main focus, the inserted magazine into his rifle was also a determining factor.

Metalhead47

Wow two posts in and no one has yet attacked him for daring to mention rifle OC on OCDO :p

OP: yes, it's technically legal, but frowned upon and extremely likely to get you an MWAG call & LE harassment.

Having a loaded rifle in a vehicle is not merely frowned upon, it is very illegal. Dun do it. And yes its a stupid law. :banghead:

Check the sticky for the pamphlet file & FAQ, all this is covered there with RCW cites.

.45ACPaddy

inb4thelock

Legal but you'll more than likely get harassed by LE. It's impractical as a daily thing anyway.

Context is key.

It's a different story if you were to do it at the 2A rally coming up at the end of April. I plan on OCing my L1A1 at the rally. With the rally's focus specifically being the second amendment, and the purpose of attending being supporting the second amendment, it's not unexpected that people will open carry rifles, as well as pistols. I saw pics from last year of people with AR-15s slung across their backs.

I guess anything more in this thread is most likely gonna be a rehash. Rules do say we're not supposed to discuss the open carry of rifles, too... >_>

Deleted_User

ibtl

What Paddy said! It's generally frowned upon

Read the rules forum to familiarize yourself with them. There's LOADS of good stuffies in there!

Otherwise, WELCOME to OCDO!

Attachments

• IBTL-Trinity.jpg
    IBTL-Trinity.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 231
Last edited:

Johnsmith1521

Thanks for the heads up, I haven't really read the rules... :banghead: I'm new here so I will read the rules after this post... But I was just asking cause I was planning on carrying my marlin 336 to the rally... So I got my answer... Thanks for not tearing me a new one... :lol:

1245A Defender

well,,,

Thanks for the heads up, I haven't really read the rules... :banghead: I'm new here so I will read the rules after this post... But I was just asking cause I was planning on carrying my marlin 336 to the rally... So I got my answer... Thanks for not tearing me a new one... :lol:

long gun carry at the 2A rally is AOK, it is not just an open carry event.
please fashion a sling, and carry it on your back, do not carry it in your hands.

last year a man and wife carried unloaded ps-90s, slung on their backs.
i carried my 45 cal kentucky cap and ball rifle and MANY open and concealed hand guns!
a lever action deer rifle, properly carried, seems fine, but i, would not carry my evil black, tactical AK-47!
i look forward to seeing you there, carry respectably, responsively, and proudly!

read the sticky about the 2Arally!

Last edited:

blackmarine

2nd Amendment

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

--Moderator Edited--
Inappropriate comment.

FMCDH

long gun carry at the 2A rally is AOK, it is not just an open carry event.
please fashion a sling, and carry it on your back, do not carry it in your hands.

last year a man and wife carried unloaded p-90s, slung on their backs.

<SNIP>

I will assume you intended to say PS-90s, as P-90s are SBRs. I had to correct myself earlier this week when talking to SVG, and I made the same mistake referring to my PS as a P. Needless to say that caught his attention until I corrected myself. ;)

Were they at least carrying magazines for them?

1245A Defender

oh,,

I will assume you intended to say PS-90s, as P-90s are SBRs. I had to correct myself earlier this week when talking to SVG, and I made the same mistake referring to my PS as a P. Needless to say that caught his attention until I corrected myself. ;)

Were they at least carrying magazines for them?

i changed my post to ps-90, but only remember that they were normal length..
i think they had mags in their pockets.

shad0wfax

I have open carried an M1A (loaded of course) several times here in WA when not hunting.

The forum admins here get all sorts of pissy about talking about OC of long-arms here, so I won't get into that.

I'd suggest that if you have to ask if it's legal or not, that you not do it; it's not for the faint of heart, the weak-willed, or those requiring public defenders.

Status
Not open for further replies.