• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is it legal to open carry a loaded rifle in WA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aktion

I'm mildly surprised this thread is still alive. My wife and I carried HK91 clones, PTR-91s, with mags in our pockets at the 2A rally last year. The mag in the pocket really wasn't because of any law, more a personal choice. Next time around, probably just load it in the rifle. Like someone said already, if it's legal, don't sweat it.

Our dog was not carrying.

DEROS72

It seems we have someone ask every few months about this.Anyway this is just one pic from the rally last year.This rally is not an open carry rally .It is about the second amendment as whole.Being that it is a rally to support the second amendment unloaded open carry of a long gun would be acceptable slung in this fashion,as for everyday idiotic!

Attachments

• 4552630863_8520d193c8.jpg
    4552630863_8520d193c8.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 446

1245A Defender

well,,,

unlicensed, Loaded, open carry of a fire arm, by non-prohibited persons at least 21 years of age,
is lawfull in Washington state!
in accordance with 9.41.290, 9.41.300, with special emphasis on 9.41.270!
proper holsters, and/or (slings)!

DEROS72

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Stop being a bunch of *****'s. If it's legal, then **** the "jackboots", they can eat ****. :lol:

Boo Boo no one is listening

DEROS72

Like I said in the context of a Rally to protect our second amendment I would say long guns would be ok.UNLOADED.With the media likely to be there this year is it wise to get too in your face? How to we want the public to percieve us? Just because something is legal doesn't mean it is wise all the time.By the same token I want the media and public to see that we will not comprimise our right to bear arms.Its like we talk all the time.Its about how we present ouselves ,our demeanor that keeps most all of us from being hassled.I don't want to carry my Mini-14 all day what a pain.

Of course Bob has to have that long gun with the flag in the barrel again this year .That has become an icon of the rallys.

Last edited:

aktion

Like I said in the context of a Rally to protect our second amendment I would say long guns would be ok.UNLOADED.With the media likely to be there this year is it wise to get too in your face? How to we want the public to percieve us? Just because something is legal doesn't mean it is wise all the time.By the same token I want the media and public to see that we will not comprimise our right to bear arms.Its like we talk all the time.Its about how we present ouselves ,our demeanor that keeps most all of us from being hassled.I don't want to carry my Mini-14 all day what a pain.

Of course Bob has to have that long gun with the flag in the barrel again this year .That has become an icon of the rallys.

The unloaded rifle request is arbitrary. Loaded rifle carry is lawful, it is very much in context to a Second Amendment rally, and refraining from anything that falls under those qualifications is an arbitrary compromise. Such restraint accomplishes little, and often plays into the hands of that segment of the 'media and public' that doesn't support this cause, regardless of our restraint. Deros, you've determined carrying your Mini-14 is not of interest to you; suit yourself. Why discourage others who choose to do so? What do you say to those who support our right to keep and bear arms, but disagree with Open-Carry, as they perceive it to be 'too in your face'?

Let us remind ourselves of the arbitrary law in California, wherein one can Open-Carry a handgun, but it must remain unloaded. Arbitrary. I'm aware that handguns are primarily for defense, and rifles for offense. Nobody expects to need a firearm at such a rally, but we'll carry them anyway; significantly as a demonstration of our passion for our rights. 'A right unexercised is a right lost'.

I'm proud and appreciative of anyone who offers their own time and resources to further liberty, but I disagree with advocating prior restraint of exercising said liberty so as not to offend some vague emotional sensibility of others. As I recall, the turnout last year was overwhelmingly in support of the Second Amendment, so I see little substantive reason to be concerned over this detail.

Many have worked hard, and at personal risk to normalize open carry of handguns. Is it such a leap of logic that at a Second Amendment rally some of us want to carry loaded rifles, taking a step to normalize the attitude from which this desire arises? I daresay the Second Amendment is much more pertinent to rifles anyway. After all, the Second Amendment is primarily about resisting tyranny, and tyranny is not waylaid by a good defense (handguns), so much as a good offense (rifles).

dan10mmman

The unloaded rifle request is arbitrary. Loaded rifle carry is lawful, it is very much in context to a Second Amendment rally, and refraining from anything that falls under those qualifications is an arbitrary compromise. Such restraint accomplishes little, and often plays into the hands of that segment of the 'media and public' that doesn't support this cause, regardless of our restraint. Deros, you've determined carrying your Mini-14 is not of interest to you; suit yourself. Why discourage others who choose to do so? What do you say to those who support our right to keep and bear arms, but disagree with Open-Carry, as they perceive it to be 'too in your face'?

Let us remind ourselves of the arbitrary law in California, wherein one can Open-Carry a handgun, but it must remain unloaded. Arbitrary. I'm aware that handguns are primarily for defense, and rifles for offense. Nobody expects to need a firearm at such a rally, but we'll carry them anyway; significantly as a demonstration of our passion for our rights. 'A right unexercised is a right lost'.

I'm proud and appreciative of anyone who offers their own time and resources to further liberty, but I disagree with advocating prior restraint of exercising said liberty so as not to offend some vague emotional sensibility of others. As I recall, the turnout last year was overwhelmingly in support of the Second Amendment, so I see little substantive reason to be concerned over this detail.

Many have worked hard, and at personal risk to normalize open carry of handguns. Is it such a leap of logic that at a Second Amendment rally some of us want to carry loaded rifles, taking a step to normalize the attitude from which this desire arises? I daresay the Second Amendment is much more pertinent to rifles anyway. After all, the Second Amendment is primarily about resisting tyranny, and tyranny is not waylaid by a good defense (handguns), so much as a good offense (rifles).

Please be aware of Wa state Vs. Spencer. Walking down the street with loaded rifle not bothering anyone. Walking his dog at the time. MWAG and as over reactive LEO even said Mr Spencer was compliant. Yet arrested and charged, prossecuted and served time for simply carying a loaded gun.....Oh, I forgot to mention it was one of those evil AK-47's. Be careful my friends what you do and where you do it.
Honestly, what can the movement gain by having loaded long guns at a rally??? AD's ....one is too many.
loaded mags in pockets, I'm all for that. But in a large rally setting there is no need to endanger our constituants or anybody else.
We are human beings and we make mistakes, there is one hell of a less chance to have a mistake with an unloaded rifle than with a loaded one. This is not "The Sandbox" there wll not be machine guns firing in the air. We are Americans. We can assemble peaceably to let our words be heard. no need or want for spilling any blood.
Should some tradgity strike, I would rather have OCDO remembered for asking everyone to be safe !!!
If your gun isn't holstered it should be empty pretty simple
dan10mmman

Metalhead47

Please be aware of Wa state Vs. Spencer. Walking down the street with loaded rifle not bothering anyone. Walking his dog at the time. MWAG and as over reactive LEO even said Mr Spencer was compliant. Yet arrested and charged, prossecuted and served time for simply carying a loaded gun.....Oh, I forgot to mention it was one of those evil AK-47's. Be careful my friends what you do and where you do it.
Honestly, what can the movement gain by having loaded long guns at a rally??? AD's ....one is too many.
loaded mags in pockets, I'm all for that. But in a large rally setting there is no need to endanger our constituants or anybody else.
We are human beings and we make mistakes, there is one hell of a less chance to have a mistake with an unloaded rifle than with a loaded one. This is not "The Sandbox" there wll not be machine guns firing in the air. We are Americans. We can assemble peaceably to let our words be heard. no need or want for spilling any blood.
Should some tradgity strike, I would rather have OCDO remembered for asking everyone to be safe !!!
dan10mmman

As I recall, Spencer was carrying his rifle shouldered, that is, ready to fire. I can see how a strange man, alone, at night, with an obviously loaded rifle "at the ready," could be argued as warranting alarm. *I* would not argue it, but I see how it could be.

Carrying your rifle slung over your shoulder at a rally that has a recent history of people doing just that is another matter, loaded or not. Personally I see an easy middle ground here in terms of safety, if one wants to carry loaded just don't chamber the first round. Very simple really.

Besides, my 75-round AK drum won't even fit in my pocket :p :monkey

SpyderTattoo

How is this thread even still alive???

•(14) LONG GUN CARRY IS OFF-TOPIC: This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life. We do NOT promote the carry of long guns. Long guns are great! OCDO co-founders John & Mike and most of the members of this forum own at least one long gun - but due to urban area issues of muzzle control, lack of trigger guard coverage, and the fact that the long gun carry issue distracts from our main mission to promote the open carry of handguns in daily life, we will leave long gun carry activism in the capable hands of the future founders of web sites about long gun carry.

Metalhead47

•(14) LONG GUN CARRY IS OFF-TOPIC: This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life. We do NOT promote the carry of long guns. Long guns are great! OCDO co-founders John & Mike and most of the members of this forum own at least one long gun - but due to urban area issues of muzzle control, lack of trigger guard coverage, and the fact that the long gun carry issue distracts from our main mission to promote the open carry of handguns in daily life, we will leave long gun carry activism in the capable hands of the future founders of web sites about long gun carry.

We're not discussing long gun OC, we're discussing the 2a rally.

icon_mrgreen.gif

Last edited:

SpyderTattoo

Seriously? What's the title of the thread? So what if we're talking about the 2nd amendment rally? Is this the OCDO board or not? Rule 14 still stands.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
+1

BigRed

dan10mmman
i think its safe to say all guns should be treated as if they are always loaded. why wourd someone want to oc a rifle anyways.lol.

SpyderTattoo

You think this is about making me feel better? Am I wrong for pointing out the forum rule? The rules are clear. I was making the observation that I'm surprised this thread isn't locked per the admin's rules. Just like that other thread, on a similar subject, that got locked just the other day.

Johnsmith1521

Wow...

Ok so I know I'm new here and didn't read the rules before I started this thread, but come on, can't we all get along... I see both sides, but I joined this forum to help support the 2nd amendment, OC, CC and whatever else goes with the 2A... So all we're suppose to do is talk about OC? Really? I don't see how talking about open carrying a rifle to the 2A rally hurts or distracts this forum? Just my 2 cents! :dude:

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Ok so I know I'm new here and didn't read the rules before I started this thread, but come on, can't we all get along... I see both sides, but I joined this forum to help support the 2nd amendment, OC, CC and whatever else goes with the 2A... So all we're suppose to do is talk about OC? Really? I don't see how talking about open carrying a rifle to the 2A rally hurts or distracts this forum? Just my 2 cents! :dude:

Then start your own forum and post your own rules. Until then honor the rules put forth by the owners of this forum. Or is honor not something you are willing to do.

As to 'talk about OC', well on the forum yes. In real life, no. Many of us (Spydertattoo and myself) live it daily, we walk the walk.

Status
Not open for further replies.