Thread: Private sale from VA resident to NC resident, question....

Question Private sale from VA resident to NC resident, question....

Folks,

Just wondering what laws I need to be aware of for the gift/sale of a handgun from a VA resident (me) to a NC resident (father).

The person I am giving it too is my father. He is allowed to own firearms by law (so I know ownership is a non issue, owns other firearms) We however, were not aware of what process (if any) we needed to go through.

We will document the transaction on our own, but not sure if anything else is needed. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

If this is for a handgun, it must go through an FFL in North Carolina and the recipient (your father) must either have an NC CHP or a Pistol Purchase Permit. If this is for a long gun, there should be no issues (at least under federal and N.C. law - I cannot speak for Virginia law).

IANAL, but it is my understanding that handguns cannot be transferred (i.e.sold, given, traded, etc.) across state lines without the involvement of an FFL (though I think there is an exception for inheritance).

InterState Sales...Federal Law

I am almost certain that interstate sales, even to members of one's own family, have to be done from one FFL holder to another.

A VA resident, I just sold a gun to my brother who lives in Maryland. He found a dealer he likes and I had it sent to that dealer via a dealer I like here in Virginia.

My dealer charged me $30 for the paperwork plus shipping, which was about $15. My brother's dealer charged him $60 to do the paperwork...a bit high, in my opinion. Being in Maryland, he had to wait five days.

Got it sorted out...

I am getting an FFL dealer to assist in NC. Thanks!