• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Air gun bill makes it out of committee

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I sat in on the Senate Committee meeting where the air gun bill was discussed.

As usual, the Fairfax Senator made an ass out of himself in front of the rest of Virginia (I still say, give em to Mary Land).

The anti lady from NOVA that dresses like a fortune teller told about the lethality of airguns but told the committee it was legal to shoot them in your house if you wanted, the stop the violence Scotsman spoke about his using an airgun in Africa to take game:eek:

The NRA spoke but I never listen to him

I swear, the only speaker there that wasn't a flaming idiot, was Philip.

After that I had to track down a couple of House members in between meetings then on to another committee meeting. Joe Morrissey walked in the room, saw me, saw the camera, did an about face and wasn't seen again.:lol:

I expect Philip will give a detailed update soon, if not I'll post the video.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
A correction. He didn't say he used it in Africa. He said he had owned one. I assume back in Scotland where that's all they're allowed to own and.... used it to kill small game.

I'm uploading the video tonight

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
I'm glad this has some legs. I live on a half acre property in which I can easily and safely discharge my airguns but Campbell County code provides for the same penalty for discharging my air guns in this residential zoned area as if I discharge my most powerful rifle (class 1 misdemeanor). This is unacceptable!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I'm glad this has some legs. I live on a half acre property in which I can easily and safely discharge my airguns but Campbell County code provides for the same penalty for discharging my air guns in this residential zoned area as if I discharge my most powerful rifle (class 1 misdemeanor). This is unacceptable!

The burb house has the same problem even though it's on ten acres.
I heard some people ignore the law though:lol:
That's just what I heard!

TFred

The anti lady from NOVA that dresses like a fortune teller told about the lethality of airguns but told the committee it was legal to shoot them in your house if you wanted, the stop the violence Scotsman spoke about his using an airgun in Africa to take game:eek:
Philip mentioned this in his update:
"I spoke for the bill pointing out that in Fairfax County, and in some other localities, a person can't shoot a BB gun in THEIR OWN HOME.

The Fairfax County lobbyist spoke against the bill, saying that I was wrong and that Fairfax does not enforce that for someone in their home."​

And this really steams me... it's like they think we're stupid.

OT: Reminds me of a couple years ago my HOA (apparently at the urging of the county deputies who worked off-duty security) planned to impose a subdivision-wide 5 MPH speed limit! They actually said this would give them an excuse to pull anyone over who looked like they didn't belong there... They changed their mind after I pointed out that it would take me nearly 20 minutes at that "legal" speed to just drive from the entrance of the subdivision to my house and back out again. What a way to run a government.

TFred

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Here is the Video. The audio isn't great because I wasn't plugged into the PA, but it's good enough to hear what's going on.

[video=vimeo;19201592]http://vimeo.com/19201592[/video]