• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

WILX Lansing article on HB4009

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
http://www.wilx.com/home/headlines/Proposed_Changes_To_Conceal_And_Carry_114606524.html

Why do they have to start the video with my fat ass.

If one Michigan lawmaker has his way, people will be able to carry concealed weapons almost anywhere they want. There is new legislation on the table that would legalize the current "no carry" zones, but some agencies think this would do more harm than good.
"We have a Constitution that says we do have a right to protect ourselves with a gun," said Senator Mike Green (R-Mayville).
Senator Green has sponsored legislation that would extend the state's concealed carry law to hospitals, sports stadiums, schools and other public places that are forbidden under current law.

"We believe it's been proven time and time again that we're not talking about people out to hurt somebody or demean somebody," said Sen. Green. "We're talking about good, honest, law abiding citizens that want to protect themselves."
It's been more than ten years since the State passed it's current concealed pistol law and Major Joel Maatman of the Ingham County Sheriff's Office says the law works just fine the way it is.

"Personally I think this is too radical," said Maatman. "I think the legislators got it right the first time."
And Maatman said when you start carrying guns in certain public venues, the idea of protection could backfire including mis-use and accidental firing.

"I think there are certain venues, people want to go and they want to feel free and safe and not be around someone with a weapon."
Lansing Community College is one of those venues that has already dismissed the idea of expanding the so-called "carry zones." Tuesday, in a statement from the college: "LCC President Brent Knight opposes any repeal of 'No Carry' zones as they relate to college campuses. He said the intent of the proposed legislation is not in the best interest of the community and is contrary to the educational process."

Senator Green said he expects opposition to the legislation but says the intent is truly not to make people feel unsafe, but, the complete opposite.

Last edited:

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
i guess this is why he's the president of a community college... in lansing...
"He said the intent of the proposed legislation is not in the best interest of the community and is contrary to the educational process."

how can the carry of firearms, something completely un-related to education, be contrary to education? that is a ridiculous statement.

TheQ

If one Michigan lawmaker has his way, people will be able to carry concealed weapons almost anywhere they want.

They try to make it sound like only one law maker supports this idea -- to make it seem less popular and a bad idea. I was in contact with Megan Norman today. I couldn't arrange time for the interview.

TheQsAidan

My e-mail to the reporter of the story

Dear Ms. Norman,

I am writing to express my disappointment with the one-sided slant to the news report regarding the proposed changes to the concealed carry law. http://www.wilx.com/home/headlines/Proposed_Changes_To_Conceal_And_Carry_114606524.html

While it is true that both sides of the issue were covered, the lead-in to this story, "If one Michigan lawmaker has his way..." gives the feeling that there is no support for this legislation. I am very disappointed that there was no opportunity for a statement from the gentleman seen firing and carrying his pistol, Mr. Brian Jeffs.

Also, a key point was missed in this story. Under the current law, it is perfectly legal for a person with a Concealed Pistol License to carry their handgun in those "pistol-free zones" as long as they carry openly. The link below is to the Michigan State Police Legal Update #86. It provides a very clear picture of what is and is not allowed in Michigan.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/msp/MSP_Legal_Update_No._86_2_336854_7.pdf

Thank you for your time.

Anne Godwin

autosurgeon

Dear Ms. Norman,

I am writing to express my disappointment with the one-sided slant to the news report regarding the proposed changes to the concealed carry law. http://www.wilx.com/home/headlines/Proposed_Changes_To_Conceal_And_Carry_114606524.html

While it is true that both sides of the issue were covered, the lead-in to this story, "If one Michigan lawmaker has his way..." gives the feeling that there is no support for this legislation. I am very disappointed that there was no opportunity for a statement from the gentleman seen firing and carrying his pistol, Mr. Brian Jeffs.

Also, a key point was missed in this story. Under the current law, it is perfectly legal for a person with a Concealed Pistol License to carry their handgun in those "pistol-free zones" as long as they carry openly. The link below is to the Michigan State Police Legal Update #86. It provides a very clear picture of what is and is not allowed in Michigan.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/msp/MSP_Legal_Update_No._86_2_336854_7.pdf

Thank you for your time.

Anne Godwin

Thank you and welcome to OCDO!

ken243

Why do they have to start the video with my fat ass.

The camera adds 20lbs. :lol:

A little one sided report if you ask me. I would sure love to watch the news one of these days and see NEWS without personal or political agends pushed around. Report a story get the FACTS. Opinions based on pure ignorance is the most damaging part of society.

Last edited:

Venator

i guess this is why he's the president of a community college... in lansing...
"He said the intent of the proposed legislation is not in the best interest of the community and is contrary to the educational process."

how can the carry of firearms, something completely un-related to education, be contrary to education? that is a ridiculous statement.

Hell, I don't even know what that means. Back it up with something, otherwise it's pure emotion and nothing more.

Venator

The camera adds 20lbs. :lol:

A little one sided report if you ask me. I would sure love to watch the news one of these days and see NEWS without personal or political agends pushed around. Report a story get the FACTS. Opinions based on pure ignorance is the most damaging part of society.

They used footage from a previous interview with me on Open Carry. See wanted to speak with me for this report. I left a message on her voice mail, but she never got back with me.

aadvark

Michigan Public Safety Code 28.425o needs to be REPEALED.
Furthermore, Michigan Penal Codes 750.234d AND 750.234e need to be REPEALED as well.

glock2340

You might as well just forget any hopes you may hold when you live in the Lansing area. Anyone who is anyone in Ingham county will not have this and shove their democratic weight around to keep everyone miserable.

You are not safe in Lansing or Ingham county, yet the public wants to feel safe. They are being held back from their "lovely" governmental parties.

lil_freak_66

You might as well just forget any hopes you may hold when you live in the Lansing area. Anyone who is anyone in Ingham county will not have this and shove their democratic weight around to keep everyone miserable.

You are not safe in Lansing or Ingham county, yet the public wants to feel safe. They are being held back from their "lovely" governmental parties.

Dont even get me started on the Lansing police dept or the city council

I could go on and on about them all day

Ingham county LEO's dont seem bad,but i dont like the Sheriff

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Because HE can carry concealed in "PROHIBITED" places, he has no concern for others.
What really is interesting is that Michigan allows Reserve Officers to carry in these areas too; they don't even have to be on the job or under supervision of a deputy to enjoy the privilege. They are not police officers and have no other right to arrest than any other citizen. Basically, the state has allowed a group of citizens, with NO special training, to get a pass. IMHO, this is a huge violation of the Equal Protection of the laws.

Last edited:

xmanhockey7

Because HE can carry concealed in "PROHIBITED" places, he has no concern for others.
What really is interesting is that Michigan allows Reserve Officers to carry in these areas too; they don't even have to be on the job or under supervision of a deputy to enjoy the privilege. They are not police officers and have no other right to arrest than any other citizen. Basically, the state has allowed a group of citizens, with NO special training, to get a pass. IMHO, this is a huge violation of the Equal Protection of the laws.

Well at least there is now a greater chance of having someone with a gun in these bogus PFZ. Besides they're doing free work for the community and if they run into some idiot criminal they need to be able to protect themselves wherever they are because it does happen.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Well at least there is now a greater chance of having someone with a gun in these bogus PFZ. Besides they're doing free work for the community and if they run into some idiot criminal they need to be able to protect themselves wherever they are because it does happen.

Shouldn't everyone have the same right to protect themselves from criminal behavior?
I would argue that if instead of carving out exceptions in the CPL law that we instead held all individuals who need a CPL to carry concealed to the same requirements and exceptions, we already would be allowed to CC in a PFZ. But instead, the legislature chooses to pass more and more "exceptions"...which basically divides the CPL holders into the Privileged CPL holders and the Ordinary CPL Holders. (If the person actually is a LEO, they don't even need a CPL so it is just "citizens" we are talking about)

I have been a reserve officer (not now) and I currently face more "criminals" in my regular "job" than I ever really did as a Reserve Deputy. In fact, within the first two months of this school year, we had armed officers arresting students in the classroom (2x), 4 students shot (2 dead, 2 injured; not at school, though), and I regularly find quite a bit of brass in the parking lot during the warmer months. I have also been told by a student who is known to be "dirty" (ie they carry illegally at school) that he was going to "take me out". I am sure many here deal with similar situations during their day, too.
So, a person who is a 9-5 accountant and works 8 hours a month as a reserve officer covering parades/fairs and directing traffic is more worthy than we? I would rethink that assumption.

Last edited:
B

Bikenut

Shouldn't everyone have the same right to protect themselves from criminal behavior?
I would argue that if instead of carving out exceptions in the CPL law that we instead held all individuals who need a CPL to carry concealed to the same requirements and exceptions, we already would be allowed to CC in a PFZ. But instead, the legislature chooses to pass more and more "exceptions"...which basically divides the CPL holders into the Privileged CPL holders and the Ordinary CPL Holders. (If the person actually is a LEO, they don't even need a CPL so it is just "citizens" we are talking about)

I have been a reserve officer (not now) and I currently face more "criminals" in my regular "job" than I ever really did as a Reserve Deputy. In fact, within the first two months of this school year, we had armed officers arresting students in the classroom (2x), 4 students shot (2 dead, 2 injured; not at school, though), and I regularly find quite a bit of brass in the parking lot during the warmer months. I have also been told by a student who is known to be "dirty" (ie they carry illegally at school) that he was going to "take me out". I am sure many here deal with similar situations during their day, too.
So, a person who is a 9-5 accountant and works 8 hours a month as a reserve officer covering parades/fairs and directing traffic is more worthy than we? I would rethink that assumption.

Not directed at you DrTodd... just bouncing off your post.

Perhaps it is time... rather past time I think... to expose the whole CPL fiasco for what it really is... a means of controlling who gets to carry a gun... and who doesn't.

A CPL is only an expansion of the old Sheriff of the West who, in order to be the only one with a gun in town, declared there would be no guns allowed in town... except for his chosen deputies of course.

CPL's are nothing more than the government making a privilege.. for the honored privileged... out of what used to be the right of every person to keep and bear.

Last edited by a moderator: