• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

WILX Lansing article on HB4009

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Not directed at you DrTodd... just bouncing off your post.

Perhaps it is time... rather past time I think... to expose the whole CPL fiasco for what it really is... a means of controlling who gets to carry a gun... and who doesn't.

A CPL is only an expansion of the old Sheriff of the West who, in order to be the only one with a gun in town, declared there would be no guns allowed in town... except for his chosen deputies of course.

CPL's are nothing more than the government making a privilege.. for the honored privileged... out of what used to be the right of every person to keep and bear.

C'mon Bikenut... you know I agree 100% with the whole cc/oc with NO permit required... federal law needs to be worked on too, 'til then I'm keeping my CPL.

I was just pointing out that the StateOfMI's logic whereby only "special" people w/ a CPL should be allowed to CC in a PFZ... even though we haven't received any less training and may even be in more danger than those who are given the privileged access card with the "checked-box". Sort of a SUPER privilege card.

I do think some other states are really are bringing the whole "constitutional carry" issue to the forefront as of late (Iowa, Wisconsin, Wyoming to name a few)... so the issue is getting out there, albeit slowly.

But yes, the whole idea of a permission slip to exercise a right is anathema to what this country was founded upon. But that could be saved for another thread... if not a whole other website. :D

B

Bikenut

C'mon Bikenut... you know I agree 100% with the whole cc/oc with NO permit required... federal law needs to be worked on too, 'til then I'm keeping my CPL.:D

As weird and as incomprehensible as it may seem.... I was actually agreeing with the content of your earlier post but didn't want my reply to seem as if were directed at you personally.... hence I worded my reply the way I did.

OK? :D

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
As weird and as incomprehensible as it may seem.... I was actually agreeing with the content of your earlier post but didn't want my reply to seem as if were directed at you personally.... hence I worded my reply the way I did.

OK? :D

I knew that, just having some fun.

Btw, I was wondering if the State of Michigan just required a background check and then immediately issued the CPL at no cost or maybe just to cover ink and paper... would that be something that could be supported by members here? Would cover the Fed requirement for carry in GFSZs if it was automatically renewed every 5 years... and we could have it cover all kinds of carry; long gun, pistol, mace, tazers, whatever. Maybe even make it immediately available at the time of purchase of any firearm from any dealer. Just a crazy thought...

B

Bikenut

I knew that, just having some fun.

Btw, I was wondering if the State of Michigan just required a background check and then immediately issued the CPL at no cost or maybe just to cover ink and paper... would that be something that could be supported by members here? Would cover the Fed requirement for carry in GFSZs if it was automatically renewed every 5 years... and we could have it cover all kinds of carry; long gun, pistol, mace, tazers, whatever. Maybe even make it immediately available at the time of purchase of any firearm from any dealer. Just a crazy thought...

No.... no ... no... and HELL NO!!! Once the government has the ability to reduce a right to a privilege written on a little slip of paper the government then has control over who gets that little slip of paper. And the more stuff regulated (controlled) by the little slip of paper the less freedom the people have.... and the more control the government has over the people.

Because, as nice as it may seem to have been given a little slip of paper as a "go anywhere card" by daddy government that slip of paper can be giveth... and can be thaketh away too leaving you with a no go anywhere at all screwing from daddy government.

You would have the CPL... a "license issued by the government that controls an activity and can only be gotten from the government after meeting the requirements set forth by the government", a "permit giving permission from and issued by the government that controls an activity and can only be gotten from the government after meeting the requirements set forth by the government"... suddenly control every kind of gun in every kind of area in every way? Just to have the privilege and/or convenience of carrying/buying/having other types of.... "arms"? And of course government would never abuse the power of control over all kinds of arms and carry... now would it?

There should be no reason to ask "permission" to exercise a right. A right automatically comes with "permission" built in. And anyone (government) who wants to make folks ask permission are interested in only one thing..... exerting control over the exercising of what is a right because anyone who understands what a right really is....... is difficult to control. Take away the right and the difficulty to control goes with it.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
No.... no ... no... and HELL NO!!! Once the government has the ability to reduce a right to a privilege written on a little slip of paper the government then has control over who gets that little slip of paper. And the more stuff regulated (controlled) by the little slip of paper the less freedom the people have.... and the more control the government has over the people.

Because, as nice as it may seem to have been given a little slip of paper as a "go anywhere card" by daddy government that slip of paper can be giveth... and can be thaketh away too leaving you with a no go anywhere at all screwing from daddy government.

You would have the CPL... a "license issued by the government that controls an activity and can only be gotten from the government after meeting the requirements set forth by the government", a "permit giving permission from and issued by the government that controls an activity and can only be gotten from the government after meeting the requirements set forth by the government"... suddenly control every kind of gun in every kind of area in every way? Just to have the privilege and/or convenience of carrying/buying/having other types of.... "arms"? And of course government would never abuse the power of control over all kinds of arms and carry... now would it?

There should be no reason to ask "permission" to exercise a right. A right automatically comes with "permission" built in. And anyone (government) who wants to make folks ask permission are interested in only one thing..... exerting control over the exercising of what is a right because anyone who understands what a right really is....... is difficult to control. Take away the right and the difficulty to control goes with it.

Thought you might say that. And for the most part, I agree.The other option, then, is to advocate and wait until all laws are repealed that in any way prohibit anyone from carrying a firearm. Perhaps my children's grandchildren will know what true freedom is... because that would probably be the earliest such an ideal situation could be realized.

B

Bikenut

Thought you might say that. And for the most part, I agree.The other option, then, is to advocate and wait until all laws are repealed that in any way prohibit anyone from carrying a firearm. Perhaps my children's grandchildren will know what true freedom is... because that would probably be the earliest such an ideal situation could be realized.

How long it takes to make true freedom a reality... or a much closer reality than what we have now... kinda depends on how much work we, yep... we.. me too, do now.