Thread: Lowes Foods Armed Guard

mattwestm

Lowes Foods Armed Guard

I went in Lowes Foods tonight to pick up some milk and ice cream. Since I ate at Rucker Johns (serves alcohol), the Beretta was still in the safe under the seat. The stop home at Lowes was sort of unexpected, so I didn't feel like fishing out the 92FS. On my way out of Lowe's, I noticed that the security guard in the store was armed! I was surprised to see a Paul Blart type to be armed. It's kind of unusual to see armed guards because of liability issues (I guess)...

I don't frequent Lowe's very much, but the next time I go in there at night, I'll make sure I'm OCing to see if the guy will say something, either pro or anti OC. Who knows, he might be an off duty LEO.

Edit: This was the Lowe's Foods in Greenville btw
    Last edited by mattwestm; 01-25-2011 at 09:36 PM.

Rucker John's on Hwy. 11>>>>>>>>>mmmmmmmmmmm good! Our favorite restaurant.
    I never shop at Lowes Foods, out of the way for me. I wonder if they will start posting signs, too.

Since I ate at Rucker Johns (serves alcohol), the Beretta was still in the safe under the seat
    I hope we can get this changed. I'm collecting newspaper articles about all the handguns stolen from vehicles in town. Seems like our lawmakers are more worried about appearance than they are stolen guns on the street. I frequent a small pizza place here in town, awesome pizza but plenty of thugs, and I can't even carry there because they serve beer......just one kind! I imagine they sell maybe a 12-pack a week, but that prevents my carrying. Gimme a break.

mattwestm
    It sucks because pretty much every restaurant in town serves alcohol. I hate having to unholster and lock it up.

Quote Originally Posted by mattwestm View Post
    It sucks because pretty much every restaurant in town serves alcohol. I hate having to unholster and lock it up.
    /agree

This law, as well as several others such as the restrictions in the provisions associated with the declarations of a SOE need to be picked out and tossed in the trash.

Not to derail the OP, but what is the punishment if you are, for some reason, caught carrying concealed in an establishment that sells and serves alcohol?
    Last edited by calynn; 01-27-2011 at 06:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by calynn View Post
    Not to derail the OP, but what is the punishment if you are, for some reason, caught carrying concealed in an establishment that sells alcohol?
    To clarify: A place that sells and serves alochol.....I believe, a misdomeaner and most likely loss of permit by the County SP once they find out or when you renew your permit.

"... caught carrying concealed in an establishment that sells alcohol?" If they just sell alcohol, not to be consumed at the establishment, there would be no punishment, if you are legallay able to own a gun, hold a CHP, and not ask to leave.
    Last edited by Northerner; 01-27-2011 at 08:00 PM.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
    Thomas Jefferson

mattwestm
    I'm guessing you get the same charge if you are OCing in a resto that serves alcohol.

Quote Originally Posted by mattwestm View Post
    I'm guessing you get the same charge if you are OCing in a resto that serves alcohol.
    I would think so and I bet a GATTOP to top it off (not that it would stick).

But knowing the Law and when and where you can legally carry either OC or CC is part of being a responsible and safe gun owner in NC.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by calynn View Post
    Not to derail the OP, but what is the punishment if you are, for some reason, caught carrying concealed in an establishment that sells and serves alcohol?

Under NCGS §14-269.3, it is a Class 1 Misdemeanor:

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedL..._14-269.3.html

§ 14‑269.3. Carrying weapons into assemblies and establishments where alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed.
    (a) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry any gun, rifle, or pistol into any assembly where a fee has been charged for admission thereto, or into any establishment in which alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

(b) This section shall not apply to the following:
    (1) A person exempted from the provisions of G.S. 14‑269;
    (2) The owner or lessee of the premises or business establishment;
    (3) A person participating in the event, if he is carrying a gun, rifle, or pistol with the permission of the owner, lessee, or person or organization sponsoring the event; and
    (4) A person registered or hired as a security guard by the owner, lessee, or person or organization sponsoring the event. (1977, c. 1016, s. 1; 1981, c. 412, s. 4, c. 747, s. 66; 1993, c. 539, s. 165; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 24, s. 14(c).)
    Last edited by Dreamer; 01-27-2011 at 08:31 PM.
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    Under NCGS §14-269.3, it is a Class 1 Misdemeanor:

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedL..._14-269.3.html
    Thanks Dreamer. I figured it was that, but got lazy and did not look up the actually citation.
    Thomas Jefferson