• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lowes Foods Armed Guard

M

mattwestm

I went in Lowes Foods tonight to pick up some milk and ice cream. Since I ate at Rucker Johns (serves alcohol), the Beretta was still in the safe under the seat. The stop home at Lowes was sort of unexpected, so I didn't feel like fishing out the 92FS. On my way out of Lowe's, I noticed that the security guard in the store was armed! I was surprised to see a Paul Blart type to be armed. It's kind of unusual to see armed guards because of liability issues (I guess)...

I don't frequent Lowe's very much, but the next time I go in there at night, I'll make sure I'm OCing to see if the guy will say something, either pro or anti OC. Who knows, he might be an off duty LEO.

Edit: This was the Lowe's Foods in Greenville btw

Last edited:

Resto Guy

Rucker John's on Hwy. 11>>>>>>>>>mmmmmmmmmmm good! Our favorite restaurant.
I never shop at Lowes Foods, out of the way for me. I wonder if they will start posting signs, too.

Anthony_I_Am

Since I ate at Rucker Johns (serves alcohol), the Beretta was still in the safe under the seat

I hope we can get this changed. I'm collecting newspaper articles about all the handguns stolen from vehicles in town. Seems like our lawmakers are more worried about appearance than they are stolen guns on the street. I frequent a small pizza place here in town, awesome pizza but plenty of thugs, and I can't even carry there because they serve beer......just one kind! I imagine they sell maybe a 12-pack a week, but that prevents my carrying. Gimme a break.

M

mattwestm

It sucks because pretty much every restaurant in town serves alcohol. I hate having to unholster and lock it up.

rotorhead

It sucks because pretty much every restaurant in town serves alcohol. I hate having to unholster and lock it up.

/agree

This law, as well as several others such as the restrictions in the provisions associated with the declarations of a SOE need to be picked out and tossed in the trash.

calynn

Not to derail the OP, but what is the punishment if you are, for some reason, caught carrying concealed in an establishment that sells and serves alcohol?

Last edited:

Northerner

Not to derail the OP, but what is the punishment if you are, for some reason, caught carrying concealed in an establishment that sells alcohol?

To clarify: A place that sells and serves alochol.....I believe, a misdomeaner and most likely loss of permit by the County SP once they find out or when you renew your permit.

"... caught carrying concealed in an establishment that sells alcohol?" If they just sell alcohol, not to be consumed at the establishment, there would be no punishment, if you are legallay able to own a gun, hold a CHP, and not ask to leave.

Last edited:
M

mattwestm

I'm guessing you get the same charge if you are OCing in a resto that serves alcohol.

Northerner

I'm guessing you get the same charge if you are OCing in a resto that serves alcohol.

I would think so and I bet a GATTOP to top it off (not that it would stick).

But knowing the Law and when and where you can legally carry either OC or CC is part of being a responsible and safe gun owner in NC. :D

Dreamer

Not to derail the OP, but what is the punishment if you are, for some reason, caught carrying concealed in an establishment that sells and serves alcohol?

Under NCGS §14-269.3, it is a Class 1 Misdemeanor:

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/HTML/BySection/Chapter_14/GS_14-269.3.html

§ 14‑269.3. Carrying weapons into assemblies and establishments where alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed.
(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry any gun, rifle, or pistol into any assembly where a fee has been charged for admission thereto, or into any establishment in which alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

(b) This section shall not apply to the following:
(1) A person exempted from the provisions of G.S. 14‑269;
(2) The owner or lessee of the premises or business establishment;
(3) A person participating in the event, if he is carrying a gun, rifle, or pistol with the permission of the owner, lessee, or person or organization sponsoring the event; and
(4) A person registered or hired as a security guard by the owner, lessee, or person or organization sponsoring the event. [FONT=Times New (W1)](1977, c. 1016, s. 1; 1981, c. 412, s. 4, c. 747, s. 66; 1993, c. 539, s. 165; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 24, s. 14(c).)[/FONT]

Last edited: