• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry City Hall Tour 01/30/11 Maryland Heights, MO

cshoff

Hey guys, I'm new to the fourm just because this thread. I am a Maryland heights resident. I have been looking at there laws and this thread has been the most helpful. My 18th birthday is in 3 days. I have had several very uncomfterble and situations that have left me feeling very vunerable lately. Befor everyone tells me to make a wise decision and think this through, I have very much lately. I know missouri law state is your 18 you can open carry. From what I read Maryland heights has no restrictions opon that law. My grandfather was a CCW instuctor so I have a fair share of information and experience with firearms. I shoot every weekend also. My question is, is all my information correct that I can open carry legaly? Thanks for all the information, this is the most helpful article I found.
Edit- I will only be carrying in Maryland heights unless laws permit in surrounding municipalitys. Anyone have info on bridgton?

Actually, there is nothing in Missouri State Statutes that says it is "legal to open carry". Simply speaking, our statutes are not written in a "permissive" manner. To the contrary, our laws are written in a manner that spells out actions that are prohibited or are considered to be unlawful. Since the section of our statutes that defines "unlawful use of weapons" (RSMO 571.030.1.(1) through (10) ) does NOT specify "openly carrying a firearm" as being "unlawful", it is, by default, lawful.

In addition, it is federal law that mandates that a person must be at least 18 to possess a handgun, not state law.

sohighlyunlikely

Hey guys, I'm new to the fourm just because this thread. I am a Maryland heights resident. I have been looking at there laws and this thread has been the most helpful. My 18th birthday is in 3 days. I have had several very uncomfterble and situations that have left me feeling very vunerable lately. Befor everyone tells me to make a wise decision and think this through, I have very much lately. I know missouri law state is your 18 you can open carry. From what I read Maryland heights has no restrictions opon that law. My grandfather was a CCW instuctor so I have a fair share of information and experience with firearms. I shoot every weekend also. My question is, is all my information correct that I can open carry legaly? Thanks for all the information, this is the most helpful article I found.
Edit- I will only be carrying in Maryland heights unless laws permit in surrounding municipalitys. Anyone have info on bridgton?

I would like to suggest you read these threads. There are places like parks and schools that have special restrictions to Open Carry as well. As a younger person with a firearm you are very likely to get attention from the local LEO's and I would strongly suggest you make a copy of the weapons ordinances of any municipality to which you are legal to open carry in. Remember you are responsible for yourself when in public with a firearm. Just saying a guy from the Internet said it was legal isn't enough. Learn the law and be able to show you know the law for yourself. Good luck

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?71591-Open-Carry-List-for-St.-Louis-County

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?85219-Answer-to-how-is-Open-Carry-legal-in-Missouri

Doc

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Apparently Missouri has no age limitations on OC, I was surprised.

There are however a tangled web of local restrictions on OC.

http://www.opencarry.org/mo.html

MK1MR2

I read all of those articles and will continue to read them until memerized and i will definatly print out copies to carry with me. I will also talk to the police officers at school to clarify any unanswered question just to be safe. Obviously I can not carry at school. I have another question, im not 21 so i cannot legaly buy a hand gun, is it true you can only carry what you own? If thats true it would be a deal breaker. The real reason I was to open carry is because I cant conceal obviously and the other night I was in a situation (a guy stalking my sister and I) were I felt I could not protect myself or my sister and I never want to be that vunerable again. Yes I could call the police in a situation but I think this forum would agree im my first line of defense, and I dont want to wait 5 min for help.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I read all of those articles and will continue to read them until memerized and i will definatly print out copies to carry with me. I will also talk to the police officers at school to clarify any unanswered question just to be safe. Obviously I can not carry at school. I have another question, im not 21 so i cannot legaly buy a hand gun, is it true you can only carry what you own? If thats true it would be a deal breaker. The real reason I was to open carry is because I cant conceal obviously and the other night I was in a situation (a guy stalking my sister and I) were I felt I could not protect myself or my sister and I never want to be that vunerable again. Yes I could call the police in a situation but I think this forum would agree im my first line of defense, and I dont want to wait 5 min for help.

Spell check is your friend.

There is no registration/proof of ownership in Missouri. Other than that, you are just rewording your original question and misdirecting the thread.

Good luck with memorizing all the information/ statutes et al - even attorney's have to look up cites. Better to learn how to do your research rather than take someone else's opinion. I for one would never ask a LEO for legal advice.

Last edited:

MK1MR2

My bad. I'm just trying to get a clear cut answer, I figured this would be the best place for it. Thanks for the help guys. I'll memerize what I need most and carry the rest of the articles with me.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
My bad. I'm just trying to get a clear cut answer, I figured this would be the best place for it. Thanks for the help guys. I'll memerize what I need most and carry the rest of the articles with me.

Not trying to run you off - I come across a little gruff sometimes. but jumping in the middle of a thread isn't the best way to proceed. Starting a new thread might be more applicable, but it is not very effective to try to teach someone on-line. The time lapse between posts and lack of continuity are problematic.

Try to meet up with an experienced OCer and spend some time talking. Carrying a bunch of documentation with you won't win any street trials and is really not the place to conduct that anyway. Just saying.

cshoff

And no, you don't have to be 21 to purchase a handgun. Specifically, if you are 18 or older, you are well within your rights to purchase a handgun from a private individual (as long as that person is also a Missouri resident). No background check is required, no registration is required, and no bill of sale is required; agree on a price, make your payment, and you are perfectly legal.

Now, in order to purchase a handgun from a FFL (Federal Firearms License) holder, you must be at least 21 years old. For those purchases, you will have to fill out a form 4473 and will be subject to a NICS background check.

The relevant statutes can be found in Title 18, Section 922 United States Code (LINK), and in our State Statutes in RSMO 571.060 (LINK).