• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Son"s Gift

.45ACPaddy

I would suggest going to ...https://factorysales.com for Lee Precision reloading gear. They are next door to the Lee factory, and are the factory sales outlet for Lee. even with shipping you will save money. Ask me how I know, I have used them for years. By the way, If he goes with 40 S&W, I have about 750 rounds plus 300 +/- empty brass that I need to get rid of.

PM sent.

dadada

Ghost,

I might suggest the new Remington R1 1911, for the .45 auto. I picked one up earlier this week for $580 from Federal Way discount guns. It's a basic government model, but is the classic style.

I took it to the range, right out of the box after an initial cleaning, and fired off 2 boxes of ammo. After the first two magazines, I was consistently hitting a palm sized area on my target from 10-12 yards out. I don't consider myself an excellent shot, just average, so was quite happy with the results.

Dave

Sparky508

Keep in mind however, that some ranges around the Northwest do not allow steel case ammunition. I know of NO range that doesn't allow brass case ammo.

Could you fill me in on the logic here? I'm having a rough time trying to drum up the intent.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Steel

The ranges want to reload or sell the brass. Can't do that with steel. Out at Range 15 on Fort Lewis they have a stick with a magnet, so I don't have to bend over to pick up my shells. :)

amlevin

The ranges want to reload or sell the brass. Can't do that with steel. Out at Range 15 on Fort Lewis they have a stick with a magnet, so I don't have to bend over to pick up my shells. :)

The Steel cases aren't so bad in range brass as they can be separated with a magnet. It's the aluminum that causes the problems because it has to be hand sorted out.

Another form of ammo that's "verboten" on many ranges is any that has a steel cored or steel jacketed bullet. The 62 gr M-855 ammo for AR's is one example. Some pistol ammo has steel jackets with a copper wash. Mostly from "The East".

Iron_Colonel

You should be able to find him a Springfield Armory 1911, like the GI model for around your limit. Couple hundred more and you can get him a Kimber :D I have a Kimber TLEII Pro Carry with night sights, and it ran me around $800 NIB a couple years ago. Might get him a couple 8 rd mags. Never had any problems with the Chip McCormick 8 rounders I use. 8+1 .45 Auto isn't too bad either. Or check local shops and gun shows maybe something used might work too.

ghosthunter

Thank you one and all for all of the great advice. He called to day and is in Oregon tonight. Home tomorrow. So we will start our search on the weekend. Might have him go over and apply for his CPL first thing.