• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Son"s Gift

ghosthunter

Ok need your advice. Everyone on this board knows more about handguns than I do.
My son is a Marine and his hitch is up at the end of this week. He and his wife will be heading back home to this state to start life after service.

I told him I would buy him a firearm up to $600.00 value of his choice , as a coming home gift. He has decided on a handgun as he wants to CC. No doubt after he gets settled he will end up here.

So what do you suggest? Auto?Wheel? He has said he likes the looks of a 1911. But not sure that I can get one for $600.00.
He will make the final choice. But would like to here your choices. Something we can walk into a gun store and see.
I own a SW sig 9mm, Judge, colt 22, SW 38, Bryce .380, and some assorted 38 specials.

Last edited:

FMCDH

If he plans to go to the range regularly, he should get a pistol that uses a cartridge he can afford to buy. If he plans to carry it, 9mm (35cal) would be my suggestion for a first carry/range pistol. I have seen more than a few new gun owners buy 1911s thinking they are the only thing to own, then turn around and sell them for a loss when they realize the ammo is too expensive.

If he doesn't plan to visit the range, then whatever caliber he is comfortable with from his service, as it will be more effective for self defense in the shortest adjustment time.

And a last suggestion, give him the money and let him buy it himself. You will avoid any chance of hassle from a perceived "straw purchase", and he will get the chance to pick one that fits him best.

my .02

aktion

Both Springfield Armory and Para USA make a 1911 in the 550-600 range, GI type models. Basic, but solid. Rock Island Armory for a bit less, though as they say, caveat emptor.

I have and carry the SA 1911A1 GI, and have no real complaints. A great first 1911. Eventually I will build one, with night sights, and a few combat oriented upgrades. Not much is really needed to be done to the 1911, though much can be improved with the shooter. Speaking for myself, anyway.

Jayd1981

Taurus PT1911 is under 600. I really like mine. ATI is releasing one manufactured in the phillipines and its supposed to be below 500 IIRC. If he's done much shooting in the service then he most likely is familiar with an M9. Could go with a Beretta 92FS to match what he's been using.

TechnoWeenie

Cascade arms in Oly has a used S&W M&P in 9mm in excellent condition for pretty cheap....

.45ACPaddy

Have him rent from a range first. Then, have him pick out what he shoots best and most comfortably with. If it were me, I'd bite the bullet and shell out an extra $50 or $100 if it meant getting him what he shoots best with.

John Hardin

Have him rent from a range first. Then, have him pick out what he shoots best and most comfortably with. If it were me, I'd bite the bullet and shell out an extra $50 or $100 if it meant getting him what he shoots best with.

Definitely +1. Try out as many different pistols as possible before making a decision. Find the one that is the most comfortable to shoot and that you're accurate with. That can only really be done hands-on. For example, I was surprised by how well I shot the Glock compact .45 when I was shopping - I was expecting its compact-ness to mean it was less accurate and less comfortable.

.45 ACP isn't that spendy if you reload, and it's an easy caliber to reload - big bullets, low pressures that don't push any limits. A Dillon pistol press is <$100 on Ebay.

oneeyeross

Might just be me, but I would think that if he wants a 1911, there is a reason for it. I know when my nephew got out of the Army, he had no good words for the 9mm pistol he was forced to carry, and purchased a 1911 after discharge.

Trigger Dr

I recently purchased a Rock Island Arms in 38 super. Out the door for $404.00. Check the 1911 forum. RIA customer service is 1st rate. Calibre in 9mm, 38 super, 45 acp All are available in different configurations. All are about $375 to 425.

Last edited:

amlevin

A Dillon pistol press is <$100 on Ebay.

+ Powder measure, scale, case cleaner (tumbler/vibrator), and misc tools and pretty soon you have a lot more than $100 invested.

Best kit for a beginner is the "Lee Anniversary Reloading Kit"

http://www.cabelas.com/presses-dies...-958E-DF11-A0C8-002219318F67&mr:referralID=NA

Includes all the necessary items for a beginner including instructions on how to produce good, safe ammo. Good way to start and then decide if reloading is for them. All you need to buy extra is a set of caliber specific dies and most Lee Die sets are in the $25-$35 range.

Anyone that shoots a lot will eventually reload unless they have lots of spare cash. Reloading saves on average half the cost of factory ammo.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
TRY First

The Marksman in Puyallup for $12 you can try any of about 60 guns. I have a Kel-Tec PF9 for CC/OC for $250, and a Taurus 24/7 PRO DS for OC for $350 (on sale at Cabelas). Also for plinking they usually have the Russian steel case 9mm for $9 a box, every other hangun ammo is more expensive.
http://www.themarksman.net/indoor_range.html

Last edited:

Trigger Dr

+ Powder measure, scale, case cleaner (tumbler/vibrator), and misc tools and pretty soon you have a lot more than $100 invested.

Best kit for a beginner is the "Lee Anniversary Reloading Kit"

http://www.cabelas.com/presses-dies...-958E-DF11-A0C8-002219318F67&mr:referralID=NA

Includes all the necessary items for a beginner including instructions on how to produce good, safe ammo. Good way to start and then decide if reloading is for them. All you need to buy extra is a set of caliber specific dies and most Lee Die sets are in the $25-$35 range.

Anyone that shoots a lot will eventually reload unless they have lots of spare cash. Reloading saves on average half the cost of factory ammo.

I would suggest going to ...https://factorysales.com for Lee Precision reloading gear. They are next door to the Lee factory, and are the factory sales outlet for Lee. even with shipping you will save money. Ask me how I know, I have used them for years. By the way, If he goes with 40 S&W, I have about 750 rounds plus 300 +/- empty brass that I need to get rid of.

Last edited:

FMCDH

The Marksman in Puyallup for $12 you can try any of about 60 guns. I have a Kel-Tec PF9 for CC/OC for $250, and a Taurus 24/7 PRO DS for OC for $350 (on sale at Cabelas). Also for plinking they usually have the Russian steel case 9mm for $9 a box, every other hangun ammo is more expensive.
http://www.themarksman.net/indoor_range.html

Keep in mind however, that some ranges around the Northwest do not allow steel case ammunition. I know of NO range that doesn't allow brass case ammo.

jbone

Cascade arms in Oly has a used S&W M&P in 9mm in excellent condition for pretty cheap....

My thoughts also, the 9, 40 and 45 are all in the price range, and quality stuff. The new 45 compact is real sweet, would love to get my M&P 9c a mate.

ghosthunter

Thank you all. All excellent advice. In 3-4 weeks we will post a photo of what he ended up getting. He is leaving NC in and driving this way with a couple side stops.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

fire suppressor

I have been advocating Springfield XDs since they first came out. They come in a variety of sizes and calibers everything from .9m-.45m and barrel size from 3.8 inches-5 inch tactical all include a attachment rail under the barrel. They make some great compact and sub compact models. They now have a new line call XD M (marksman) with a compact model .9m with a 3.8 inch barrel and hold 11+1 rounds! You cant beat them! They are sharp looking guns with a 911 style safety, great magazine capacity and are very easy and simple to break down and clean. I like them so much when they first came out I sold my Glock and bought a brand new XD .40. All new XDs come with carrying case, gun lock, holster (not one I would recommenced using) 2 magazines, a magazine holster, and magazine loader. That's my recommendation but be warned I am bias Springfield is by far my favorite gun manufacture. I bought mine just under 500 a few years ago so it should be in your price range
http://www.the-m-factor.com/html/specs_7.html

Last edited: