Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HB 1238: CPL age to 18

Exclamation HB 1238: CPL age to 18

Hey folks, it's that special time again down at the capitol, and now the CPL to 18 bill is alive again and needs 30 seconds of your time.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/billinfo/summ...1238&year=2011

This year, HB 1238 has 10 sponsors, and it has been forwarded to the Judiciary Committee.

What I ask for you to do is take 30 seconds, call Jamie Pedersen, Chair of the Judiciary Committee and tell him you want a hearing for this bill!!! And if you got a couple more seconds, call your local rep or give a thanks to one (or more) of the reps sponsoring this bill.

http://www.leg.wa.gov/House/Represen.../pedersen.aspx

Olympia Office (360) 786-7826

District Office (206) 729-3206

See? No need for paypal donations or going out of the room (assuming you have a phone with you).

I will be heading down to the capitol soon and will start knocking down doors making sure I am heard this year. Last year caught us off guard, but this year we're up and ready.

UPDATE

We got a message from Jamie Pedersen, who spoke with Adam Kline. Adam Kline; chair of the Senate Judiciary who doesn't want to hear it.

One of the conditions for a hearing given by Jamie was to convince Adam Kline...

(360) 786-7688

adam.kline@leg.wa.gov

This will be a challenge. Please direct any effort towards Kline, if we can get Kline to just say ok to a hearing, this bill will get a hearing!!
    Last edited by OrangeIsTrouble; 01-28-2011 at 12:35 PM.

Been harassed by the police? Yelled at by the anti-gun neighbors? Mother doesn't approve?

Then this is the place for you! Click here to get back at them!

Contacted my reps (32nd district) yesterday asking they support it. I will give Mr. Pendersen a call tomorrow.

I'm pulling for you!

Mucho gracias FMCDH, that's all that's needed; a simple call, but great numbers will do wonders. Imagine Pedersen coming into the office and his assistant telling him his day is done, there's countless voicemails with the same message, can't pay attention to anything else other than HB 1238.

Been harassed by the police? Yelled at by the anti-gun neighbors? Mother doesn't approve?

Call, email, etc...

I am calling my state reps and my 18yo daughter is also calling. I think an email and phone call from a 18yo girl will have an impact on them just a bit.....
    Live Free or Die!

Made my call.
    Gogo, thanks for the idea. I'll try to get my friend's daughters to call. We're all going shooting soon and they are excited by the idea of protecting themselves and their mother.

Contacted my reps (44th District). Here's to hoping! Thanks for the work you're putting in on this!

Gogo, that is dead on, I'll be getting a few of my female friends to leave some messages too. Interest is all, they don't need to be dedicated to getting a CPL, but having the option of it later.

CPL at 18

This is what I sent to Mr. Pederson

I feel that if someone is old enough to fight for there country. They should be old enough to carry a weapon and protect themselves and thier loved ones. PLEASE see that this bill gets to hearing. If it dosent that would be a slap in the face to all of our service men and women who daily put their lives on the line to protect us.While the state thinks that they are to immature to handle a weapon responsibly.

Thank you
    Loren C Burruss

BTW, here is a list of the Judiciary Committee. If you live in their districts you have an even greater voice.

Pedersen, Jamie (D) Chair MOD B 102 (360) 786-7826
    Goodman, Roger (D) Vice Chair MOD E 101 (360) 786-7878
    Rodne, Jay (R) * MOD G 108 (360) 786-7852
    Shea, Matt (R) ** MOD G 101 (360) 786-7984
    Chandler, Bruce (R) LEG 427B (360) 786-7960
    Eddy, Deb (D) LEG 132D (360) 786-7848
    Frockt, David (D) MOD D 104 (360) 786-7886
    Kirby, Steve (D) LEG 437B (360) 786-7996
    Klippert, Brad (R) MOD A 201 (360) 786-7882
    Nealey, Terry (R) MOD C 202 (360) 786-7828
    Orwall, Tina (D) MOD E 201 (360) 786-7834
    Rivers, Ann (R) MOD A 203 (360) 786-7850
    Roberts, Mary Helen (D) MOD B 205 (360) 786-7950

Excellent message 1911er, and thanks heresolong for the list. Ann Rivers is a sponsor and also a member of the committee, would be helpful to drop her a note.

The most important thing right now is to get a hearing, and to do that, we must contact Jamie Pedersen

Olympia Office (360) 786-7826

District Office (206) 729-3206

jamie.pedersen@leg.wa.gov

Like I said, I am going to be down at the capitol on friday, doing face to face interactions and thanking the sponsors.

Will update as things come up.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911er View Post
    This is what I sent to Mr. Pederson

I feel that if someone is old enough to fight for their country, they should be old enough to carry a weapon and protect themselves and their loved ones. PLEASE see that this bill gets to hearing. If it doesn't, that would be a slap in the face to all of our service men and women who daily put their lives on the line to protect us, while the state thinks that they are too immature to handle a weapon responsibly.

Thank you
    Loren C Burruss
    Fixed it for you....

PLEASE use spell check and proof read your stuff before sending them off to representatives folks. It doesn't make much difference here, as everyone is sloppy, but when addressing someone who is reading hundreds to thousands of requests for consideration of legislative action, neatness counts in the overall process on how serious they take you.

Quote Originally Posted by FMCDH View Post
    Fixed it for you....

PLEASE use spell check and proof read your stuff before sending them off to representatives folks. It doesn't make much difference here, as everyone is sloppy, but when addressing someone who is reading hundreds to thousands of requests for consideration of legislative action, neatness counts in the overall process on how serious they take you.
    +1 Well said. Like it or not, it makes a lot of difference in your impact to the person you are writing to if you've "got all your ducks lined in a row".

It might also help, when communicating with a Representative, to send an original letter. Since they receive "tons" of mail each day, the "form letters" where everyone is sending the same message are probably just put aside after the first one or two. The ones more likely to be read are the ones that are original, and convey a personal message.

In the end, all that the aides are going to put in front of the Representative/Senator is a note that will give a summary of the "For's" and "Against's" with one or two of the better letters from each side.

And in the end, the Representative's vote will go to the side that they expect the most help from in the next election.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

HR 227 in Congress

If passed, HR 227 will negate any State Law allowing under 21 carry.

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill...27&tab=summary

Child Gun Safety and Gun Access Prevention Act of 2011 - Amends the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act to: (1) raise the age of handgun eligibility to 21 (currently, 18)
    Let's hope that the current majority in the House holds by the rules and requires that this bill have a statement justifying its constitutionality attached before it is considered.

BTW, just having any Federal Legislation like this being considered might well cause our State Legislators to put their positions on hold for any State Legislation that would be in conflict. Especially with Dem's still in control in Olympia.
    Last edited by amlevin; 01-27-2011 at 02:21 PM.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Quote Originally Posted by amlevin View Post
    If passed, HR 227 will negate any State Law allowing under 21 carry.

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill...27&tab=summary

Let's hope that the current majority in the House holds by the rules and requires that this bill have a statement justifying its constitutionality attached before it is considered.

<SNIP>
    Wow, talk about throwing everything at the wall and seeing what sticks.

Quote Originally Posted by FMCDH View Post
    Wow, talk about throwing everything at the wall and seeing what sticks.
    They're not throwing "everything" against the wall, just the "feces" (since the forum now censors the correct word).

They're not throwing "everything" against the wall, just the "feces" (since the forum now censors the correct word).
    so it that one passes, 18y olds wouldn't even be able to buy long rifles and shotguns anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by BigRed View Post
    so it that one passes, 18y olds wouldn't even be able to buy long rifles and shotguns anymore?
    No, just handguns, "Assault Rifles", and Hi-Cap Magazines. Ordinary looking semi-auto rifles, bolt actions, and shotguns won't be affected. Just handguns and those "evil looking rifles with the big mags".

The last sentence give some hope for the Eddie Eagle program but not much more.
    snip ("Expresses the sense of Congress that each school district should provide or participate in a firearms safety program for students.")

Voice mail left.

No, just handguns, "Assault Rifles", and Hi-Cap Magazines. Ordinary looking semi-auto rifles, bolt actions, and shotguns won't be affected. Just handguns and those "evil looking rifles with the big mags".
    This time...

Banana clip

Because bananas are so evil.
    Quote Originally Posted by SayWhat View Post

Shooters before hooters.

Quote Originally Posted by .45ACPaddy View Post

Because bananas are so evil.
    Now that's funny.

Update

We got a message from Jamie Pedersen, who spoke with Adam Kline. Adam Kline; chair of the Senate Judiciary who doesn't want to hear it.

One of the conditions for a hearing given by Jamie was to convince Adam Kline...

(360) 786-7688

adam.kline@leg.wa.gov

This will be a challenge. Please direct any effort towards Kline, if we can get Kline to just say ok to a hearing, this bill will get a hearing!!

Quote Originally Posted by GreenIsFaster View Post

(360) 786-7688

adam.kline@leg.wa.gov

Good luck. Remember, Adam Kline is the one that keeps introducing a bill to ban assault weapons. He's no friend of the gun community. If he feels he can block any legislation favorable to guns in any way, he will.

What you need is some pictures of Adam Kline in a compromising position with Farm Animals. THAT might get his approval for a hearing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast