• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carry when meeting someone off craigslist

xmattedgex

As the title says.
Today I'm meeting someone who wants to buy something I have for sale on craigslist. I'm wondering if I should open carry when meeting a seller or buyer from craigslist. Today I am meeting them in corona, and I will be alone.

cato

As the title says.
Today I'm meeting someone who wants to buy something I have for sale on craigslist. I'm wondering if I should open carry when meeting a seller or buyer from craigslist. Today I am meeting them in corona, and I will be alone.

Another consideration would also be to meet in a public place with cctv. Is the item valuable$?

sultan62

Is your consideration solely safety or are you thinking OC may affect the likelihood of selling the item?

Devilinbp

I would make sure all your ducks are in a row if you decide to UOC.

video and/or audio recorder....check
1000 feet from schools....check
witnesses or in public.....check
any and all information and lawyer's # ....check

feel free to add to the list.

xmattedgex

Is your consideration solely safety or are you thinking OC may affect the likelihood of selling the item?

It's both, I don't want to scare him out of a sale. And we are meeting in a public place but where people won't really be around. I'm selling a $500 Airsoft gun that looks extremely real and does not have an orange tip so I don't really want to be in public eye.

r1man

I OCed last week well meeting someone from Craigslist. The Guy didnt even Notice that I was armed until he Helped me put the Item in my Truck. He And His Wife Are now Considering Open Carrying After Answering all of there Questions I also Gave them The OC Flyer. They Had No Clue that is legal in California. He Also Said They Both Conceal Carry with no CCW:eek: LOL

hgreen

The question really should be, Why NOT open carry?

Unless you are going to a restricted area why should you ever NOT be OCing?

cato

Why, so we can watch a video of him getting robbed?

Just OC.. its not a big deal.

Because the U in Ca OC puts you behind the 8 ball. So other considerations must be evaluated. There are robberies associated to on line deals of valuable property. A friend of mine buys gold via craigslist and has dealt with shady crowds.

Keep the airsoft in a bag and concealed if in a public place per the penal code. (Section? )

Last edited:

xmattedgex

The question really should be, Why NOT open carry?

Unless you are going to a restricted area why should you ever NOT be OCing?

I definatly understand what you mean. I just didn't want to freak this person out being a one on one meet with a total stranger.

I ended up not OCing, I did however keep my gun close by. Everything went well, he wasn't as shady as he sounded over the phone.

Ca Patriot

Given the paranoia in Los Angeles about guns and the prevelance of armed robberies, I am not sure it would be a good idea. The person you are meeting is bringing cash. They are meeting a stranger. They will be worried. If they see you with a gun they might think its a set up robbery.
I used to sell alot of car parts and often to shady people. I always carried concealed and i'm sure they did too.

hgreen

Are you serious?

Given the paranoia in Los Angeles about guns and the prevelance of armed robberies, I am not sure it would be a good idea. The person you are meeting is bringing cash. They are meeting a stranger. They will be worried. If they see you with a gun they might think its a set up robbery.
I used to sell alot of car parts and often to shady people. I always carried concealed and i'm sure they did too.

I'm sorry if what I am going to say offends you, but I'm actually quite offended at some of the statements being made here. While I understand you are not trying to be offensive, let me explain why...

By making statements that you would not OC because of a PERCEIVED concern that others might have of feelings of being "freaked out" or "scared" makes it sound that you are giving legitimacy to the completely UNFOUNDED claims of anti-gunners.

If any of you have ever OCed by yourself in public you will KNOW that the reaction from the public in general is either complete ignorance to the fact or more often than not, thought that you are a LEO. If you look like you should have the gun, people will accept that, if you look like a thug and are flaunting the gun and making motions towards it, people will be concerned (AS THE SHOULD BE).

When was the last time someone got mugged by a thug who had the gun open in a holster and visible???

The very fact that some of you give any of these "concerns" half an ounce of credit is VERY bad to our cause and shows just how pervasive the anti-gun agenda is in CA that it has crept into the minds of PRO-2A supporters!

I highly recommend revising your posts or taking down this thread as it gives too much legitimacy to the allegations from the antis that are completely UNTRUE, and you all should know better.

mjones

Another consideration would also be to meet in a public place with cctv. Is the item valuable$?

We find out in a subsequent post that its an 'imitation firearm' so this isn't a good idea...

12550. As used in this article, the following definitions apply:
(c) "Imitation firearm" means any BB device, toy gun, replica of a
firearm, or other device that is so substantially similar in
coloration and overall appearance to an existing firearm as to lead a
reasonable person to perceive that the device is a firearm.

12556. (a) No person may openly display or expose any imitation
firearm, as defined in Section 12550, in a public place.
(b) Violation of this section, except as provided in subdivision
(c), is an infraction punishable by a fine of one hundred dollars
($100) for the first offense, and three hundred dollars ($300) for a
second offense.

(e) For purposes of this section, the term "public place" means an
area open to the public and includes streets, sidewalks, bridges,
alleys, plazas, parks, driveways, front yards, parking lots,
automobiles, whether moving or not, and buildings open to the general
public, including those that serve food or drink, or provide
entertainment, and the doorways and entrances to buildings or
dwellings, and shall include public schools and a public or private
college or university.

Ca Patriot

I'm sorry if what I am going to say offends you, but I'm actually quite offended at some of the statements being made here. While I understand you are not trying to be offensive, let me explain why...

By making statements that you would not OC because of a PERCEIVED concern that others might have of feelings of being "freaked out" or "scared" makes it sound that you are giving legitimacy to the completely UNFOUNDED claims of anti-gunners.

If any of you have ever OCed by yourself in public you will KNOW that the reaction from the public in general is either complete ignorance to the fact or more often than not, thought that you are a LEO. If you look like you should have the gun, people will accept that, if you look like a thug and are flaunting the gun and making motions towards it, people will be concerned (AS THE SHOULD BE).

When was the last time someone got mugged by a thug who had the gun open in a holster and visible???

The very fact that some of you give any of these "concerns" half an ounce of credit is VERY bad to our cause and shows just how pervasive the anti-gun agenda is in CA that it has crept into the minds of PRO-2A supporters!

I highly recommend revising your posts or taking down this thread as it gives too much legitimacy to the allegations from the antis that are completely UNTRUE, and you all should know better.

Lighten up and re read my post. I never refered to the "general public" in any way. I was addressing the OP's specific scenario.

I bought and sold high performance car parts for many years. In that industry and culture stolen parts and robberies were common. It wasnt uncommon at all for someone to advertise for sale a set of cylender heads that cost $3000 and then when the buyer showed up with the cash they got robbed.

Many people I knew carried guns when they did transactions like these and they were highly sensitive and on guard.

The guns of course were concealed.

If I was going to buy some parts in a bad part of town and I had alot of cash on me and I showed up to meet the buyer and he had a gun, the first thing I would do is think robbery.

Maybe in your world of theory and narrow focus on gun rights and what the "anti's" think that doesnt make sense, but I have seen people robbed, shot and stabbed over these things.

There is a big difference between changing the mind of a 45 yr old Brady Bunch mom at a protest versus the gut reaction of a guy from the streets who is coming with cash to buy some merchandise. You wont have a civil and intellectual debate with him. If he see's a gun and gets the wrong idea, then you're in for a fight.

Iopencarry

Not only do I want to but have to agree with Harley.

And to add to what he has already said,

I will add this...

WE DO NOT PROMOTE OR ADVISE ANYONE TO CC WITHOUT A LEGAL PERMIT. This is just wrong. We are a law abiding populate. We need to be above the punks that cc w/o permits.