• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is it time to insist on Standardized Police Uniforms?

amlevin

Yesterday King County settled a lawsuit over an incident that resulted in permanent injuries to a citizen.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/ht...sychological-influence-of-the-police-uniform/

The author looks at both sides of the issue, visibility vs concealment. For me, a patrol officer should be visible and recognizable as such.

Last edited:

heresolong

I wholeheartedly agree. Police should be visible and recognizable. News stories are easily found where someone pretending to be a policeman stopped someone and then killed or abducted them. There are even recommendations for women that suggest that when being pulled over at night or in a lowly populated area they should call 911 to confirm that there is, in fact, a police officer at their location.

BigRed

I wholeheartedly agree. Police should be visible and recognizable. News stories are easily found where someone pretending to be a policeman stopped someone and then killed or abducted them. There are even recommendations for women that suggest that when being pulled over at night or in a lowly populated area they should call 911 to confirm that there is, in fact, a police officer at their location.
i would only agree with that is the "cop" was in an unmarked car and tried to pull you over at night. If the "cop" is in a marked patrol car and is pulling you over...saying you were not sure if he was a real cop or not is probably not gunna fly

44Brent

It is in the police's interests, and in the interests of law abiding citizens for the police to wear recognizable uniforms. When police wear "thug" clothing, citizens rightfully see them as thugs.

If someone looks like a thug and starts chasing me, I will assume I am dealing with a thug, and take an appropriate response.

I have always seen the WSP wearing professional clothing, and I have never heard of WSP acting like thugs.

irish52084

I don't really care what an officer wears as long as it is obvious to tell if they are a police officer. I think a metal badge should be a requirement regardless of the uniform, unless it happens to be a SWAT uniform. I have noticed a lot more cops wearing BDU's and such, but always see them with polo type shirts that say conty sheriff or whatever the local police department is. I think badges should be visible for patrol cops unless there is a specific reason for it, like a need to protect their identity in a particular area.
On another note, I don't think an old school button up collared shirt is really a necessary type of uniform. If a cop feels more comfortable and better equipped with BUD's and a more tactical set of gear, then I'm all for it as long as they have a legit badge and a shirt that tells everyone what department/county/etc...

FMCDH

I don't really care what an officer wears as long as it is obvious to tell if they are a police officer. I think a metal badge should be a requirement regardless of the uniform, unless it happens to be a SWAT uniform. I have noticed a lot more cops wearing BDU's and such, but always see them with polo type shirts that say conty sheriff or whatever the local police department is. I think badges should be visible for patrol cops unless there is a specific reason for it, like a need to protect their identity in a particular area.
On another note, I don't think an old school button up collared shirt is really a necessary type of uniform. If a cop feels more comfortable and better equipped with BUD's and a more tactical set of gear, then I'm all for it as long as they have a legit badge and a shirt that tells everyone what department/county/etc...

...and a name ribbon/badge if they are a patrol or beat officer.

jbone

Interesting subject, although more suited for the social lounge.:)

JoeSparky

Centurion

This is great advice-- making the assumption that cell service is available at that particular time and place....

Trigger Dr

This is great advice-- making the assumption that cell service is available at that particular time and place....

Most officers will recognize the implicit fear in those circumstances. If the driver continues along until they reach a well lighted or populated area, without excessive speed, or attempt to elude, they may get a "talking to"

HandyHamlet

Most officers will recognize the implicit fear in those circumstances. If the driver continues along until they reach a well lighted or populated area, without excessive speed, or attempt to elude, they may get a "talking to"

You are kidding right?

amlevin

Don't you think it would be better if all patrol officers in a Department wore the same uniform. It appears that many get to pick and choose from a "menu" according to their personal desires. This results in many different "looks" for officers on the street and detracts from the whole idea of them wearing a "Uniform".

...and a name ribbon/badge if they are a patrol or beat officer.

In a size, with contrasting letters, that allows anyone to read from a normal "conversational distance" rather than having to be close enough to be their dance partner.

Interesting subject, although more suited for the social lounge.:)

And why would that be. This affects everyone who Open Carries and might interact with a Police Officer. Would be nice to know who you are talking to. Some uniforms could be worn by everyone from Animal Control to a security guard.

AFPVet

In my state, every county officer wears the brown shirt and pants. The city officers wear the blue uniforms—as with the state police. I think it varies state to state, but most of them are standardized according to department policy being similar....

amlevin

In my state, every county officer wears the brown shirt and pants. The city officers wear the blue uniforms—as with the state police. I think it varies state to state, but most of them are standardized according to department policy being similar....

Come visit Seattle and surrounding areas. You'll see the entire "Police Wear Catalog" on display by patrol officers.

jbone

Last edited:

irish52084

Don't you think it would be better if all patrol officers in a Department wore the same uniform. It appears that many get to pick and choose from a "menu" according to their personal desires. This results in many different "looks" for officers on the street and detracts from the whole idea of them wearing a "Uniform".

The only thing I have against an all encompassing uniform is each officers personal needs. I feel like the option of what type of holster and shoes or boots they wear on duty should be personal preference, within reason. If an officer prefers a thigh or drop leg holster, I don't see how that is a problem. The more slack style pants of the state patrol and the button up, collared and cuffed shirts they wear may also be more expensive to buy and maintain. I know that maintaining a work uniform that must be dry cleaned gets old real quick. I should also say that I do believe it should be easy to identify the more relaxed uniformed officer. I believe a polo type shirt with your department clearly printed on it as well as a readable badge and name tag should be standard to all police uniforms. To be honest, I usually have a chuckle at the Washington State patrol when it's raining and they have their shower caps over their mountie hats.lol

I do agree that a clear badge and an easy to read name tag is an excellent idea and should be standard

irish52084

Come visit Seattle and surrounding areas. You'll see the entire "Police Wear Catalog" on display by patrol officers.

This is true, I'm not in Seattle that often, but I have notice the smorgasbord of uniforms. Seems like everyone of them has something different.

joeroket

The guys in SPD that have other than the standard uniform are usually on special assignment. I was just at the east precinct with a friend of my dads, Yes I was carrying in the restricted area, and every single beat officer had the same uniform on. The ones that didn't were not part of the patrol group but rather bike officers, canine, or some other special duty.

I can see having a different variation, like the bike guys, but I do agree that their should be some kind of standard for the officers that makes them easy to recognize as an officer. Some just have completely different looking uniforms. Yesterday I saw a sno county SUV pull a guy over and he was wearing the dark green coveralls. He was not readily recognizable as an officer based on his attire.

DEROS72

Personally I am becoming increasingly unnerved by the militarization of law enforcement.It smacks of Power and control and the SS. I think they shoukd have a standard uniform, casual, carry a radio a .38 revolver ,night stick and a flashlight.like they did when I was akid.

When we watched the shooting from the tower at the Uni.of Texas in I believe 64 or 66..anyway the police had civilians,regular folks get there weapons and provide cover fire while they got an officer to the top and take the guy out with a shot gun.