Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: Hawaii Takes Gun Control One Step Further

  1. #1
    Regular Member Funtimes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawaii, United States
    Posts
    48

    Hawaii Takes Gun Control One Step Further

    Well we just got word of our first session gun control bill:

    The Core ---

    The purpose of this Act is to:

    (1) Require that all guns be sold with safety devices to
    prevent unintentional discharges by children and
    unauthorized users;
    (2) Prohibit the sale of ammunition unless the purchaser
    shows proof of registration for the firearm for which
    the ammunition is to be purchased and photo
    identification proving that the purchaser is the
    person to whom the firearm is registered;
    (3) Require the attorney general to adopt rules setting
    minimum standards for firearms dealers to secure
    firearms in the ordinary course of business and in the
    event of a natural disaster;
    (4) Require firearms dealers to report theft of a firearm
    within twenty-four hours;
    (5) Prohibit the importation, manufacture, possession,
    sale, barter, trade, gift, transfer, or acquisition of
    any .50 BMG rifle or .50 BMG cartridge; and
    (6) Prohibit disclosure to a firearm permit applicant of
    the source of the information used to deny the application, when the application is denied because the applicant was diagnosed with a mental disorder.

    Source:
    http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/sessio...billnumber=441

    Bill:
    http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/sessio...lls/HB441_.pdf

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Goshen, Ohio, United States
    Posts
    69
    lets just make it harder for a law abiding citizen to protect them selves! The only one that makes sence is the 24 hours reporting of stolen firearms, but who doesnt report them anyways?
    why do school shootings happen.... for the same reason they never happen at a shooting range.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Alexandria, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    44
    The lost/stolen reporting requirement is a product of Million Mom March and the Brady Bunch that they shopped around to every state legislature they could. On the surface (and by their descriptions) it is to deter straw purchases. However, IMO it is actually a segue into firearms registration. Rather than new gun restrictions, I believe that states should place more emphasis on personal responsibility and enforcing the laws already on the books. Then again, logic never seems to prevail with some people.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Asheville, NC ,
    Posts
    81
    And my wife wonders why I say "Hell no" when she asks if can move to Hawaii.

  5. #5
    Regular Member Chris-S.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    4
    Same reason i wont move back to Hawai'i just yet.

  6. #6
    Campaign Veteran GLOCK21GB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    4,348
    I vacationed on Oahu 14 years ago..nice but too expensive. GLAD I DON'T LIVE THERE ! a real Commie state..
    http://youtu.be/xWgVGu3OR4U AACFI, Wisconsin / Minnesota Carry Certified. Action Pistol & Advanced Action pistol concepts + Urban Carbine course. When the entitlement Zombies begin looting, pillaging, raping, burning & killing..remember HEAD SHOTS it's the only way to kill a Zombie. Stockpile food & water now.

    Please support your local,county, state & Federal Law enforcement agencies, right ???

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    1,155
    The purpose of this Act is to:

    (1) Require that all guns be sold with safety devices to prevent unintentional discharges by children and unauthorized users;
    Isn't this already required?

    (2) Prohibit the sale of ammunition unless the purchaser shows proof of registration for the firearm for which the ammunition is to be purchased and photo identification proving that the purchaser is the person to whom the firearm is registered;
    There goes buying Christmas ammo for a fellow gun owner.

    (3) Require the attorney general to adopt rules setting minimum standards for firearms dealers to secure firearms in the ordinary course of business and in the event of a natural disaster;
    Of course, these standards won't come cheap, and will be passed on the the customer.

    (4) Require firearms dealers to report theft of a firearm within twenty-four hours;
    I think they're a few days late on this - both the BATFE and insurance carrier beat them to the punch.

    (5) Prohibit the importation, manufacture, possession, sale, barter, trade, gift, transfer, or acquisition of any .50 BMG rifle or .50 BMG cartridge;
    So now they're going to take on the Department of Defense? I can just see Hawaiian cops raiding one of the many military bases on the island.

    And, if their police forces have any Barrett .50-cal. rifles they can kiss sales and service goodbye.

    and

    (6) Prohibit disclosure to a firearm permit applicant of the source of the information used to deny the application, when the application is denied because the applicant was diagnosed with a mental disorde.
    Hmmm, I wonder if they've ever heard of Due Process?

  8. #8
    Regular Member DonRow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Kalaheo, Hawaii, United States
    Posts
    56
    This is Hawaii, we're like California Jr. It really sucks. Pretty soon were going to be like Mexico where only the police, military, and criminals can have gun "F" the law abiding citizen.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Regular Member MilProGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    1,228
    Reading this thread makes me glad I reside in Mississippi.
    Proud Veteran ~ U.S. Army / Army Reserve

    Mississippi State Guard ~ Honorably Retired


  10. #10
    Regular Member DonRow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Kalaheo, Hawaii, United States
    Posts
    56
    Yeah, living in Hawaii is nice but when you throw the politics in it, that's where things get messy.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. #11
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    Quote Originally Posted by DonRow View Post
    Yeah, living in Hawaii is nice but when you throw the politics in it, that's where things get messy.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I often think gun contol has bigot overtones to it. What is your thoughts on this? I have a feeling that one reason the "rulers" in current Hawaii don't like guns is because they are afraid of armed "natives". Just a thought.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    1,155
    Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    I often think gun contol has bigot overtones to it. What is your thoughts on this? I have a feeling that one reason the "rulers" in current Hawaii don't like guns is because they are afraid of armed "natives". Just a thought.
    Ya think? Maybe?

  13. #13
    Regular Member carry for myself's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    546
    1 , 3 , and 4 seem very reasonable. the rest is just a violation of rights.

    i do believe all firearms should be sold with locks *everyone should have one , just in case"

    i do believe firearms sellers should be responsible for what they sell....and not just let people kick in their doors and steal em if there is a natural disaster.

    and i do believe gun store should have to report firearms thefts.

    none of those three violate rights. however the others are pure horse doo doo
    i would rather run out of blood, breath and life. and die fighting. than run out of ammo , and die with my pants down -Tom Scantas

  14. #14
    Regular Member DonRow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Kalaheo, Hawaii, United States
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    I often think gun contol has bigot overtones to it. What is your thoughts on this? I have a feeling that one reason the "rulers" in current Hawaii don't like guns is because they are afraid of armed "natives". Just a thought.
    Well, I don't think it's about not arming the natives. It's more along the lines that Hawaii has been a liberal hell hole for the last 30+ years. A lot of Burnt out hippies. Hell, look at our current governor, a draft dodger. People in Hawaii don't want to see the truth. The only truth they see is what there "elected" leaders and the local news tell them. God help you if you tell them different. And like I said "Hawaii is California Jr." what ever they do law wise, Hawaii is not to far behind. But no I think this is just another one of those constitutional rights grab. I hope It doesn't pass. And for the people who are going to start bashing Hawaii people, and how bad we are, read what I typed on the other thread. 2nd amendment law suite in Hawaii.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  15. #15
    Regular Member DonRow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Kalaheo, Hawaii, United States
    Posts
    56
    Holy ****!! Check this out. They left this part out. The "reasons" for the bill.


    "The legislature finds that gun violence continues to be one of our most challenging social problems. In April 2007, a Virginia Tech University student killed thirty-three people, including himself, using two semiautomatic pistols. In December 2007, a young man in Omaha, Nebraska killed eight people using an assault rifle. On January 8, 2011, a gunman in Tucson, Arizona, shot nineteen people, six of them fatally. The legislature has worked to provide law enforcement with the necessary tools to prevent gun-related fatalities in Hawaii and will continue to do so in the future.
    The purpose of this Act is to:"

    Are you kidding me!?!?





    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  16. #16
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    Quote Originally Posted by DonRow View Post
    Well, I don't think it's about not arming the natives. It's more along the lines that Hawaii has been a liberal hell hole for the last 30+ years. A lot of Burnt out hippies. Hell, look at our current governor, a draft dodger. People in Hawaii don't want to see the truth. The only truth they see is what there "elected" leaders and the local news tell them. God help you if you tell them different. And like I said "Hawaii is California Jr." what ever they do law wise, Hawaii is not to far behind. But no I think this is just another one of those constitutional rights grab. I hope It doesn't pass. And for the people who are going to start bashing Hawaii people, and how bad we are, read what I typed on the other thread. 2nd amendment law suite in Hawaii.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Good thoughts I consider Hawaii, my second home and have lived their for many years. I am 1/4 native american, and from much of my research most "gun control" has had bigoted roots. I was just curious if you felt it may have some impact since many in politics don't have a lot of Hawaiian/Polynesian blood. I feel it may have impact on it even if no one will openly admit it.

    I am the other guy in that thread defending the locals from people who obviously hasn't spent much time associating with local folks.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  17. #17
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    Quote Originally Posted by DonRow View Post
    Holy ****!! Check this out. They left this part out. The "reasons" for the bill.


    "The legislature finds that gun violence continues to be one of our most challenging social problems. In April 2007, a Virginia Tech University student killed thirty-three people, including himself, using two semiautomatic pistols. In December 2007, a young man in Omaha, Nebraska killed eight people using an assault rifle. On January 8, 2011, a gunman in Tucson, Arizona, shot nineteen people, six of them fatally. The legislature has worked to provide law enforcement with the necessary tools to prevent gun-related fatalities in Hawaii and will continue to do so in the future.
    The purpose of this Act is to:"

    Are you kidding me!?!?
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No they aren't kidding, they will refuse to acknowledge that the "gun" violence in every single one of instances would have been minimized if another gun owner were present. Oh and that in Tucson it was a gun owner who stopped the gun man, and he did it without a gun.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  18. #18
    Regular Member DonRow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Kalaheo, Hawaii, United States
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post

    I am the other guy in that thread defending the locals from people who obviously hasn't spent much time associating with local folks.
    I know.



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  19. #19
    Regular Member DonRow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Kalaheo, Hawaii, United States
    Posts
    56
    But no, I think it's just typical far left thinking.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  20. #20
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    Quote Originally Posted by DonRow View Post
    But no, I think it's just typical far left thinking.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Socialism only can work by force, and of course you want to disarm those you will be taking from otherwise it might be harder to force you to abide by their rules.

    You are right far left thinking probably has more to do with it than anything else.

    To me though the republicans are pretty left in a lot of their thinking too. I tend to be a fundamentalist when it comes to individual rights.

    Don't tell me what to do with my money and don't tell me what to do with my body.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  21. #21
    Regular Member DonRow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Kalaheo, Hawaii, United States
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    Socialism only can work by force, and of course you want to disarm those you will be taking from otherwise it might be harder to force you to abide by their rules.
    Exactly!! What was one of the first things hitler did when he came into power, one of the things he did was take the guns away from people, and told them the government will protect them.


    Don't tell me what to do with my money and don't tell me what to do with my body.
    I live by this every single day.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  22. #22
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    Quote Originally Posted by DonRow View Post

    I live by this every single day.

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Me too brah, me too.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •