Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 72

Thread: Home defense weapon

  1. #1
    Regular Member 92FS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    39

    Home defense weapon

    Had a great question posted by a friendon a different website. What is on your nightstand.. or what is your primary self defense weapon. feel free to reply im interested in what your choices are and why also what is your home defense plan heres my reply on my friends question http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpPp86oufas

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    57
    Defender 12ga pump shotgun with heavy hunting/field ammo. I don't keep one in the chamber so the bad guy gets to hear the distinctive shell racking sound.
    Last edited by coorsleftfield; 01-26-2011 at 07:43 PM.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    fl
    Posts
    1,835
    Full-size 845 .45 acp -Speer Gold GotHPs
    870 Pump w/ 00 and/or 000/ light/laser + HiViz fiber optic front sight.

  4. #4
    Regular Member 92FS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    39

    Smile Im waiting to get a mossberg 590.. hopefully I wont have to wait too long...

    Quote Originally Posted by coorsleftfield View Post
    Defender 12ga pump shotgun with heavy hunting/field ammo. I don't keep one in the chamber so the bad guy gets to hear the distinctive shell racking sound.
    Im waiting to get a mossberg 590.. hopefully I wont have to wait too long...

  5. #5
    Regular Member 92FS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by j4l View Post
    Full-size 845 .45 acp -Speer Gold GotHPs
    870 Pump w/ 00 and/or 000/ light/laser + HiViz fiber optic front sight.
    Cant beat the 870. sounds like you have all the bells and whistles

  6. #6
    Regular Member robin.kevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Northern KY
    Posts
    100
    The mossberg would be a great option.

    I personally like to mix load a shotgun for home defense which includes having a mix of heavy bird shot, buck shot, and slug. Thought process is if the treat for whatever reason is not stopped by the last round you have the slug which will drop anything, but requires a little better shot. Its a little old school which was used before they came out with all the special defense loads on the market today.

  7. #7
    Regular Member 92FS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by robin.kevin View Post
    The mossberg would be a great option.

    I personally like to mix load a shotgun for home defense which includes having a mix of heavy bird shot, buck shot, and slug. Thought process is if the treat for whatever reason is not stopped by the last round you have the slug which will drop anything, but requires a little better shot. Its a little old school which was used before they came out with all the special defense loads on the market today.
    That my friend is a great Strategy..

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by 92FS View Post
    That my friend is a great Strategy..
    They sell special home defense ammo which is a mix of pellet sizes, which is much better than stacking different shells, a one stop shot is preferred. Also, in dense housing like an apartment, you do not want 00 buck or other large pellets that can penetrate multiple walls, so take into account your own situation when selecting ammo.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    57

  10. #10
    Regular Member robin.kevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Northern KY
    Posts
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by coorsleftfield View Post
    They sell special home defense ammo which is a mix of pellet sizes, which is much better than stacking different shells, a one stop shot is preferred. Also, in dense housing like an apartment, you do not want 00 buck or other large pellets that can penetrate multiple walls, so take into account your own situation when selecting ammo.
    Very true. Thats why I said its a little old school. That was the reason for the heavy hunting shot first. As I said it was before they came out with defense loads. Now they even have defense loads for .410 thanks to the high sells of Judges. I personally do not live in dense housing so just keep it old school.

  11. #11
    Regular Member 45acpForMe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Yorktown, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,803
    Typically a .45acp pistol is on my nightstand (H&K USP, Sig P220) with a remmington 870 tactical 6+1 loaded with 00 buckshot. Birdshot is safer if you have family spread out through the house but buckshot will penetrate better to reach critical organs or central nervous system.

    I got the shotgun first as the ultimate home defense gun but it does require two hands so the pistol is easier to maneuver (at least for me).

    If 6+1+(6carrier) of 00, 13rounds of .45acp don't do the trick then the KRISS comes out with the 30 round magazines. .45acp is actually a good home defense round because it is slower and hopefully won't go through as many walls/houses as a 9,40 or rifle round.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Puyallup< WA
    Posts
    285
    99% of the time I keep my CZ Sp-01 in 9mm on the nightstand with a trl-1 light mounted on the rail. I use 19 rounds of 115gr +p+ Speer gold dot. I use the 115 grain gold dots in the house and the 124 grain when I carry it. It probably doesn't make much difference, but I feel like the 115 grain bullet is less likely to shoot through barriers and hit an unintended target.
    The other 1% of the time, My XD in 357 SIG serves nightstand duty with the same trl-1 light attached and 13 rounds of 125 grain gold dots from Speer. I don't really like using the 357 SIG as a house gun because of it's high penetration, but it's better to be armed than not to be.
    I have considered a Mossberg for the house, but I haven't been able to convince myself to drop the extra $ on another gun.

  13. #13
    Regular Member 92FS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by irish52084 View Post
    99% of the time I keep my CZ Sp-01 in 9mm on the nightstand with a trl-1 light mounted on the rail. I use 19 rounds of 115gr +p+ Speer gold dot. I use the 115 grain gold dots in the house and the 124 grain when I carry it. It probably doesn't make much difference, but I feel like the 115 grain bullet is less likely to shoot through barriers and hit an unintended target.
    The other 1% of the time, My XD in 357 SIG serves nightstand duty with the same trl-1 light attached and 13 rounds of 125 grain gold dots from Speer. I don't really like using the 357 SIG as a house gun because of it's high penetration, but it's better to be armed than not to be.
    I have considered a Mossberg for the house, but I haven't been able to convince myself to drop the extra $ on another gun.
    As far as weapons go. I like the fact you have so many options. Im still deciding between a weapons light or a crimson trace laser sight. What are your views on this? And $ is a factor as far a my next firearm purchase too. If it wasnt I think I would have an armory

  14. #14
    Regular Member 92FS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by coorsleftfield View Post
    They sell special home defense ammo which is a mix of pellet sizes, which is much better than stacking different shells, a one stop shot is preferred. Also, in dense housing like an apartment, you do not want 00 buck or other large pellets that can penetrate multiple walls, so take into account your own situation when selecting ammo.
    What is your position on no lethal shotgun rounds/bean bag/hydro marking/ rubber slug? Iíve seen them in cheaper than dirt and thought it would be something to consider. But I remember seeing a prison documentary and watched a guy get shot with bean bag rounds like 3 or 4 times before they rushed him.

  15. #15
    Regular Member 92FS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by 45acpForMe View Post
    Typically a .45acp pistol is on my nightstand (H&K USP, Sig P220) with a remmington 870 tactical 6+1 loaded with 00 buckshot. Birdshot is safer if you have family spread out through the house but buckshot will penetrate better to reach critical organs or central nervous system.

    I got the shotgun first as the ultimate home defense gun but it does require two hands so the pistol is easier to maneuver (at least for me).

    If 6+1+(6carrier) of 00, 13rounds of .45acp don't do the trick then the KRISS comes out with the 30 round magazines. .45acp is actually a good home defense round because it is slower and hopefully won't go through as many walls/houses as a 9,40 or rifle round.
    I feel sorry for the intruder that comes to your house HA HA. Looks like you have things covered.

  16. #16
    Regular Member 92FS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by 92FS View Post
    Had a great question posted by a friendon a different website. What is on your nightstand.. or what is your primary self defense weapon. feel free to reply im interested in what your choices are and why also what is your home defense plan heres my reply on my friends question http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpPp86oufas

    I also would like to knowÖ what is your plan if you hear that bump in the night? What would you do with your family? Have you rehearsed a plan? Do you have a meeting point or a safe room? For example itís against my state law to just blast a guy for stealing your TV. Even if he is walking away with it. We can only use lethal force as a means to stop our death or possible rape.

  17. #17
    Regular Member 45acpForMe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Yorktown, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,803
    Lasers: Lasers have a downside in that they can give away your position. The upside is they assist aiming when your fine motor skills are deteriorated with adreniline. I got some early on but don't use them much. My daughters insisted on one for their P22 but don't use it now that they are comfortable with the P22. Crimson trace is the best I have used but I prefer front activation buttons as opposed to side activation like on the P220 model. Your finger easily comes off the button during recoil on the side versions. I would say you don't need one but can usually easily add one later if you decide otherwise (or have wife/daughter/grandma that demand one). :-)

    Home Defense: Yes we have a home defense plan including ADT, my dog that will pee on any intruder, a roll out ladder, safe positions, and strategic shooting locations. I try to plan what are safe shooting directions (including shots coming at you) so that anything doesn't go towards family. In most case I will be shooting in a downward position so I don't have to worry much about neighbors houses. Other things to worry about is not shooting the gas furnace, waterheater etc but they are secondary. :-)

    When/if the sh1t really hits the fan I can't really count on my kids doing what they are supposed to though. Identify the target. If a kid is running away with your stereo you can't use lethal force. If someone breaks into your house though many states allow lethal force because you can't read the mind of the bad guy to determine motive. He could be there for your TV, wife or both. :-(

    I originally thought of Rock Salt for my shotgun but quickly decided that if a bad guy was in my house that lethal force was necessary to stop the threat. If he is high on PCP or some other drug bean bags, rock salt, or other nonlethal things will just make them mad. Petty theives beware, America is armed and you are the target once you step inside.

  18. #18
    Regular Member 92FS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by 45acpForMe View Post
    Lasers: Lasers have a downside in that they can give away your position. The upside is they assist aiming when your fine motor skills are deteriorated with adreniline. I got some early on but don't use them much. My daughters insisted on one for their P22 but don't use it now that they are comfortable with the P22. Crimson trace is the best I have used but I prefer front activation buttons as opposed to side activation like on the P220 model. Your finger easily comes off the button during recoil on the side versions. I would say you don't need one but can usually easily add one later if you decide otherwise (or have wife/daughter/grandma that demand one). :-)

    Home Defense: Yes we have a home defense plan including ADT, my dog that will pee on any intruder, a roll out ladder, safe positions, and strategic shooting locations. I try to plan what are safe shooting directions (including shots coming at you) so that anything doesn't go towards family. In most case I will be shooting in a downward position so I don't have to worry much about neighbors houses. Other things to worry about is not shooting the gas furnace, waterheater etc but they are secondary. :-)

    When/if the sh1t really hits the fan I can't really count on my kids doing what they are supposed to though. Identify the target. If a kid is running away with your stereo you can't use lethal force. If someone breaks into your house though many states allow lethal force because you can't read the mind of the bad guy to determine motive. He could be there for your TV, wife or both. :-(

    I originally thought of Rock Salt for my shotgun but quickly decided that if a bad guy was in my house that lethal force was necessary to stop the threat. If he is high on PCP or some other drug bean bags, rock salt, or other nonlethal things will just make them mad. Petty theives beware, America is armed and you are the target once you step inside.
    Now thats what I was looking for. Great reply, sounds like you are squared away sir

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Puyallup< WA
    Posts
    285
    Have to agree with 45acpForMe on the laser issue. They're something that I could see being useful, but I think a good flashlight is a better overall tool. That said there are some laser/light combos, but they're pretty expensive.

    A plan of action is always good if you're taking the initiative to defend your family and home. My boys aren't really old enough to execute a home defense plan without parental help, so my options are limited.

    We made a decision to get a dog a while back and made sure we go tone who was excellent with our children and also intimidating. Our dog, Gus, is probably the best deterrent to violence or theft we could have. He's big, scary looking and he alert growls and barks before he becomes protective. I work late, so having Gus around makes me feel a little better about my families safety when I'm not around. I think I read somewhere that a dog is your best deterrent to home break-ins and theft.

  20. #20
    Regular Member 4angrybadgers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Hattiesburg, Mississippi, USA
    Posts
    411
    Primary HD weapon is a Remington 870 Express Youth 20ga (the youth size has a 1-2" shorter length of pull, so my wife can comfortably hold it). It's loaded with 2 3/4" #4 buckshot - 4 in the mag tube and 1 already in the chamber. If someone breaks in, I'm not gonna short myself a round and give away my position by racking one into an empty chamber.

    My other option is my Springfield XD subcompact in .40S&W. It's loaded with 165gr Federal HSTs, 9 in the magazine and 1 in the chamber. It's also my daily carry weapon, so if I'm packing the XD then it'll hold me til I can get to my 870.

    For reloads I have a few more boxes of shells, and a 12-round mag for the XD.

    If I pick up the XD, I can grab my 3-D-cell LED Maglite with the other. It's REALLY BRIGHT.
    Last edited by 4angrybadgers; 01-27-2011 at 02:53 PM.

  21. #21
    Regular Member Huck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Evanston, Wyoming, USA
    Posts
    647
    I keep my S&W model 10, .38 special +P, on my bed's headboard at night and I have a Uberti 1860 Henry Rifle, .45 Colt, with a loaded magazine (13 rounds) but a empty chamber, in the bedroom closet. I've been known to keep my double barreled Stevens 12 gauge shotgun loaded with 00 buck in my hall closet too.
    "You can teach 'em, but you cant learn 'em."

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Posts
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by 45acpForMe View Post
    Typically a .45acp pistol is on my nightstand (H&K USP, Sig P220) with a remmington 870 tactical 6+1 loaded with 00 buckshot. Birdshot is safer if you have family spread out through the house but buckshot will penetrate better to reach critical organs or central nervous system.

    I got the shotgun first as the ultimate home defense gun but it does require two hands so the pistol is easier to maneuver (at least for me).

    If 6+1+(6carrier) of 00, 13rounds of .45acp don't do the trick then the KRISS comes out with the 30 round magazines. .45acp is actually a good home defense round because it is slower and hopefully won't go through as many walls/houses as a 9,40 or rifle round.
    #1 buckshot fires in a tighter pattern, making it more reliable in reaching the bad guys vitals, while eliminating stray shot.

  23. #23
    Regular Member 45acpForMe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Yorktown, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,803
    Quote Originally Posted by George Mann View Post
    #1 buckshot fires in a tighter pattern, making it more reliable in reaching the bad guys vitals, while eliminating stray shot.
    At distances you would use it inside the home (10-30ft) I don't think "pattern" really matters. It may spread out an inch or three but that is desireable when shooting at a moving target anyway. Shotguns do need to be aimed, unlike what is shown on TV.

    Now Birdshot will spread out faster but after going to theboxoftruth and seeing 2-3 inch penetration I went and replaced all my shells with buckshot. IMHO any buckshot is good enough for self defense. I just chose 00 because of SD rounds being available and in case I ever need to use it for hunting. :-)

  24. #24
    Activist Member golddigger14s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Lacey, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,991

    Shotgun

    Remington 870 with home defense barrel 12ga pump shotgun with Remington home defense ammo. I don't keep one in the chamber so the bad guy gets to hear the distinctive shell racking sound. I plan on getting some of the less than lethal hydro bag for the first round or two. If that doesn't get their attention then game on. I also have a Keltec PF9 and or Taurus 24/7 Pro DS with Hornada Critical Defense 9mm. A rep at ALS Technolagies says the ALS 1200 is best for the ultra close home situation.
    http://www.alstechnologies.com/index.php?page=ALS1200
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    215
    I use a Taurus 17 HMR Pump Rifle. No over penetration in case of a miss, but
    would make a very serious wound.
    Life is tough, its tougher when your stupid.

    http://www.itsnotthelaw.com

    Feds: U.C.C. 1-308, State: U.C.C. 1-207, Both: U.C.C. 1-103.6

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •