• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Home defense weapon

Huck

I keep my S&W model 10, .38 special +P, on my bed's headboard at night and I have a Uberti 1860 Henry Rifle, .45 Colt, with a loaded magazine (13 rounds) but a empty chamber, in the bedroom closet. I've been known to keep my double barreled Stevens 12 gauge shotgun loaded with 00 buck in my hall closet too.

George Mann

Typically a .45acp pistol is on my nightstand (H&K USP, Sig P220) with a remmington 870 tactical 6+1 loaded with 00 buckshot. Birdshot is safer if you have family spread out through the house but buckshot will penetrate better to reach critical organs or central nervous system.

I got the shotgun first as the ultimate home defense gun but it does require two hands so the pistol is easier to maneuver (at least for me).

If 6+1+(6carrier) of 00, 13rounds of .45acp don't do the trick then the KRISS comes out with the 30 round magazines. .45acp is actually a good home defense round because it is slower and hopefully won't go through as many walls/houses as a 9,40 or rifle round.

#1 buckshot fires in a tighter pattern, making it more reliable in reaching the bad guys vitals, while eliminating stray shot.

45acpForMe

#1 buckshot fires in a tighter pattern, making it more reliable in reaching the bad guys vitals, while eliminating stray shot.

At distances you would use it inside the home (10-30ft) I don't think "pattern" really matters. It may spread out an inch or three but that is desireable when shooting at a moving target anyway. Shotguns do need to be aimed, unlike what is shown on TV.

Now Birdshot will spread out faster but after going to theboxoftruth and seeing 2-3 inch penetration I went and replaced all my shells with buckshot. IMHO any buckshot is good enough for self defense. I just chose 00 because of SD rounds being available and in case I ever need to use it for hunting. :)

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Shotgun

Remington 870 with home defense barrel 12ga pump shotgun with Remington home defense ammo. I don't keep one in the chamber so the bad guy gets to hear the distinctive shell racking sound. I plan on getting some of the less than lethal hydro bag for the first round or two. If that doesn't get their attention then game on. I also have a Keltec PF9 and or Taurus 24/7 Pro DS with Hornada Critical Defense 9mm. A rep at ALS Technolagies says the ALS 1200 is best for the ultra close home situation.
http://www.alstechnologies.com/index.php?page=ALS1200

Butch00

I use a Taurus 17 HMR Pump Rifle. No over penetration in case of a miss, but
would make a very serious wound.

billv

Right now I keep my XDM 45 next to the bed, loaded with 13+1 Golddot 230 gr hollow points and 2 more full mags next to.

I'll have a Mossberg 500 Tactical/combo on order and should arrive next week. I'll load that with #00 buckshot in a 3" shell. Not sure I'll keep one in the chamber or not. I might add a tactical light and laser combo to that.

I was also thinking about using some of these shells too - http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=132180. A hollow point slug that has 6 splinters that break away from the main slug on impact.

Once that gets here, I'll use the shotgun for home defense and the 45 for concealed carry.

TrailRunner

164878_1814813291594_1277913475_2187356_4520740_n.jpg

Remington 870 Express 7 Round, with nothing in the chamber so racking it will provide the patented BG "pucker" effect. If they don't leave just because of that, the first shell is heavy bird shot, shells 2 & 3 are buckshot. The first shot is a hopefully non-lethal "GTFO of my House" round, and shells 2&3 are for "You didn't leave, so KYA goodbye".

Last edited:

45acpForMe

This one's mine...

That is the longest bayonet I have seen!:shocker: What is that 14"? I have Remmingtons so don't see the need for a Mossberg but wouldn't mind the bayonet.

As far as people saying that the sound of racking the shotgun is preferable to blowing a hole in the bad guy, I disagree. I keep a shell chambered!!! Nothing says GetTheFOutOfMyHouse better than a sucking chest wound!

I am not willing to risk the life of my family or myself by giving away my position with the sound of the shotgun cycling. If you are in my house unwelcome there is no warning (shot, cycle, words)! Your first warning will be seeing the tunnel of light opening up in front of you as your stay here on earth has come to an end!

tcmech

I keep a mossberg 500 with #4 buck, loaded mag tube empty chamber, safety off, and trigger has been pulled. Pick it up rack it and go use it. I have 5 #00 buck on the butt stock carrier.

I also keep a handgun on my night stand, usually a glock, either model 36 or 17, but those are backups. My wife keeps her taurus pt709 on her night stand.

I have a dog (rat) which makes enough noise so I know I have issues along with an ADT system.

My only plan is to make sure that all rounds impact at least a foot off the floor so my 6lb chihuahua is out of the line of fire. Since my wife is in the bedroom with me I just intend to kill anything with less than 4 legs that comes in. Remember as I once told my wife, if the gun goes off enough times my neighbors will call the police for me.

Cavalryman

Campaign Veteran
Beside the bed it's a Benelli M2 semi-auto 12 ga with buckshot.

Benelli003.jpg

If I suspect multiple assailants, I'll go to "plan B" -- Steyr AUG in 5.56x45mm. (.223)

IMG_1152.jpg

The wife doesn't like the shotgun, so her "plan A" is the same as her "plan B" -- AR15 carbine with EoTech optic.

00001.jpg

We also have firearms in other parts of the house but I'm not telling where!

NMBill

Mossberg Ready to Rock

We chose a Mossberg 20ga, because all the 12ga guns we tried were a little large for my wife. It's loaded with #3 buckshot, cocked and safety on. I never really subscribed to the idea of keeping it uncocked so I can rack it and scare the bad guy. I think it will be even scarier for the bad guy to be staring down the business end without warning. I figure I can always throw in a "boo", if I want to surprise him. Our mantra is "Safety...shoot, pump, shoot, pump, repeat".

Besides the Mossberg, we both have small, bright LED flashlights and a Ruger LCR in the nightstand. Semiautos are a few steps away. The dogs are the early warning system and have good, deep growls.

coorsleftfield

Beside the bed it's a Benelli M2 semi-auto 12 ga with buckshot.

Benelli003.jpg

Nice.. I just bought one of these a few days ago, but went with the comforttech stock / non-pistol grip. I also ordered an extended mag tube for it, in case the swarm of zombies is particularly heavy one day.

Last edited:

Cavalryman

Campaign Veteran
Nice.. I just bought one of these a few days ago, but went with the comforttech stock / non-pistol grip. I also ordered an extended mag tube for it, in case the swarm of zombies is particularly heavy one day.

The extended mag tube is nice but when it's loaded it slows how quickly I can swing the muzzle around. It also shifts the balance far enough forward that it's fractionally slower to shoulder (for me). Since I bought this shotgun primarily for bear protection, magazine capacity isn't critical but speed is the difference between life and death. If a bear charges, you will get him with the first one or two or he will kill you; you don't have enough time for many repeat shots. Nevertheless, 5+1 is adequate for most home protection scenarios, particularly since I have other options.

gunman

I carry a glock 23 loaded with remington golden saber 180 grain hollow points for personal defense.for home defense I have a 1911 loaded with hornady critical defense hollow points.