• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Home defense weapon

92FS

Had a great question posted by a friendon a different website. What is on your nightstand.. or what is your primary self defense weapon. feel free to reply im interested in what your choices are and why also what is your home defense plan heres my reply on my friends question http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpPp86oufas

coorsleftfield

Defender 12ga pump shotgun with heavy hunting/field ammo. I don't keep one in the chamber so the bad guy gets to hear the distinctive shell racking sound.

Last edited:

j4l

Full-size 845 .45 acp -Speer Gold GotHPs
870 Pump w/ 00 and/or 000/ light/laser + HiViz fiber optic front sight.

92FS

Im waiting to get a mossberg 590.. hopefully I wont have to wait too long...

Defender 12ga pump shotgun with heavy hunting/field ammo. I don't keep one in the chamber so the bad guy gets to hear the distinctive shell racking sound.
Im waiting to get a mossberg 590.. hopefully I wont have to wait too long...

robin.kevin

The mossberg would be a great option.

I personally like to mix load a shotgun for home defense which includes having a mix of heavy bird shot, buck shot, and slug. Thought process is if the treat for whatever reason is not stopped by the last round you have the slug which will drop anything, but requires a little better shot. Its a little old school which was used before they came out with all the special defense loads on the market today.

92FS

The mossberg would be a great option.

I personally like to mix load a shotgun for home defense which includes having a mix of heavy bird shot, buck shot, and slug. Thought process is if the treat for whatever reason is not stopped by the last round you have the slug which will drop anything, but requires a little better shot. Its a little old school which was used before they came out with all the special defense loads on the market today.
That my friend is a great Strategy..

coorsleftfield

That my friend is a great Strategy..

They sell special home defense ammo which is a mix of pellet sizes, which is much better than stacking different shells, a one stop shot is preferred. Also, in dense housing like an apartment, you do not want 00 buck or other large pellets that can penetrate multiple walls, so take into account your own situation when selecting ammo.

coorsleftfield

hd-ammo-prod.ashx

robin.kevin

They sell special home defense ammo which is a mix of pellet sizes, which is much better than stacking different shells, a one stop shot is preferred. Also, in dense housing like an apartment, you do not want 00 buck or other large pellets that can penetrate multiple walls, so take into account your own situation when selecting ammo.

Very true. Thats why I said its a little old school. That was the reason for the heavy hunting shot first. As I said it was before they came out with defense loads. Now they even have defense loads for .410 thanks to the high sells of Judges. I personally do not live in dense housing so just keep it old school.

45acpForMe

Typically a .45acp pistol is on my nightstand (H&K USP, Sig P220) with a remmington 870 tactical 6+1 loaded with 00 buckshot. Birdshot is safer if you have family spread out through the house but buckshot will penetrate better to reach critical organs or central nervous system.

I got the shotgun first as the ultimate home defense gun but it does require two hands so the pistol is easier to maneuver (at least for me).

If 6+1+(6carrier) of 00, 13rounds of .45acp don't do the trick then the KRISS comes out with the 30 round magazines. .45acp is actually a good home defense round because it is slower and hopefully won't go through as many walls/houses as a 9,40 or rifle round.

irish52084

99% of the time I keep my CZ Sp-01 in 9mm on the nightstand with a trl-1 light mounted on the rail. I use 19 rounds of 115gr +p+ Speer gold dot. I use the 115 grain gold dots in the house and the 124 grain when I carry it. It probably doesn't make much difference, but I feel like the 115 grain bullet is less likely to shoot through barriers and hit an unintended target.
The other 1% of the time, My XD in 357 SIG serves nightstand duty with the same trl-1 light attached and 13 rounds of 125 grain gold dots from Speer. I don't really like using the 357 SIG as a house gun because of it's high penetration, but it's better to be armed than not to be.
I have considered a Mossberg for the house, but I haven't been able to convince myself to drop the extra $ on another gun.

92FS

99% of the time I keep my CZ Sp-01 in 9mm on the nightstand with a trl-1 light mounted on the rail. I use 19 rounds of 115gr +p+ Speer gold dot. I use the 115 grain gold dots in the house and the 124 grain when I carry it. It probably doesn't make much difference, but I feel like the 115 grain bullet is less likely to shoot through barriers and hit an unintended target.
The other 1% of the time, My XD in 357 SIG serves nightstand duty with the same trl-1 light attached and 13 rounds of 125 grain gold dots from Speer. I don't really like using the 357 SIG as a house gun because of it's high penetration, but it's better to be armed than not to be.
I have considered a Mossberg for the house, but I haven't been able to convince myself to drop the extra $ on another gun.
As far as weapons go. I like the fact you have so many options. Im still deciding between a weapons light or a crimson trace laser sight. What are your views on this? And $ is a factor as far a my next firearm purchase too. If it wasnt I think I would have an armory :D

92FS

What is your position on no lethal shotgun rounds/bean bag/hydro marking/ rubber slug? I’ve seen them in cheaper than dirt and thought it would be something to consider. But I remember seeing a prison documentary and watched a guy get shot with bean bag rounds like 3 or 4 times before they rushed him.

92FS

Typically a .45acp pistol is on my nightstand (H&K USP, Sig P220) with a remmington 870 tactical 6+1 loaded with 00 buckshot. Birdshot is safer if you have family spread out through the house but buckshot will penetrate better to reach critical organs or central nervous system.

I got the shotgun first as the ultimate home defense gun but it does require two hands so the pistol is easier to maneuver (at least for me).

If 6+1+(6carrier) of 00, 13rounds of .45acp don't do the trick then the KRISS comes out with the 30 round magazines. .45acp is actually a good home defense round because it is slower and hopefully won't go through as many walls/houses as a 9,40 or rifle round.
I feel sorry for the intruder that comes to your house HA HA. Looks like you have things covered.

92FS

Had a great question posted by a friendon a different website. What is on your nightstand.. or what is your primary self defense weapon. feel free to reply im interested in what your choices are and why also what is your home defense plan heres my reply on my friends question http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpPp86oufas

I also would like to know… what is your plan if you hear that bump in the night? What would you do with your family? Have you rehearsed a plan? Do you have a meeting point or a safe room? For example it’s against my state law to just blast a guy for stealing your TV. Even if he is walking away with it. We can only use lethal force as a means to stop our death or possible rape.

45acpForMe

Lasers: Lasers have a downside in that they can give away your position. The upside is they assist aiming when your fine motor skills are deteriorated with adreniline. I got some early on but don't use them much. My daughters insisted on one for their P22 but don't use it now that they are comfortable with the P22. Crimson trace is the best I have used but I prefer front activation buttons as opposed to side activation like on the P220 model. Your finger easily comes off the button during recoil on the side versions. I would say you don't need one but can usually easily add one later if you decide otherwise (or have wife/daughter/grandma that demand one). :)

Home Defense: Yes we have a home defense plan including ADT, my dog that will pee on any intruder, a roll out ladder, safe positions, and strategic shooting locations. I try to plan what are safe shooting directions (including shots coming at you) so that anything doesn't go towards family. In most case I will be shooting in a downward position so I don't have to worry much about neighbors houses. Other things to worry about is not shooting the gas furnace, waterheater etc but they are secondary. :)

When/if the sh1t really hits the fan I can't really count on my kids doing what they are supposed to though. Identify the target. If a kid is running away with your stereo you can't use lethal force. If someone breaks into your house though many states allow lethal force because you can't read the mind of the bad guy to determine motive. He could be there for your TV, wife or both. :-(

I originally thought of Rock Salt for my shotgun but quickly decided that if a bad guy was in my house that lethal force was necessary to stop the threat. If he is high on PCP or some other drug bean bags, rock salt, or other nonlethal things will just make them mad. Petty theives beware, America is armed and you are the target once you step inside.

92FS

Lasers: Lasers have a downside in that they can give away your position. The upside is they assist aiming when your fine motor skills are deteriorated with adreniline. I got some early on but don't use them much. My daughters insisted on one for their P22 but don't use it now that they are comfortable with the P22. Crimson trace is the best I have used but I prefer front activation buttons as opposed to side activation like on the P220 model. Your finger easily comes off the button during recoil on the side versions. I would say you don't need one but can usually easily add one later if you decide otherwise (or have wife/daughter/grandma that demand one). :)

Home Defense: Yes we have a home defense plan including ADT, my dog that will pee on any intruder, a roll out ladder, safe positions, and strategic shooting locations. I try to plan what are safe shooting directions (including shots coming at you) so that anything doesn't go towards family. In most case I will be shooting in a downward position so I don't have to worry much about neighbors houses. Other things to worry about is not shooting the gas furnace, waterheater etc but they are secondary. :)

When/if the sh1t really hits the fan I can't really count on my kids doing what they are supposed to though. Identify the target. If a kid is running away with your stereo you can't use lethal force. If someone breaks into your house though many states allow lethal force because you can't read the mind of the bad guy to determine motive. He could be there for your TV, wife or both. :-(

I originally thought of Rock Salt for my shotgun but quickly decided that if a bad guy was in my house that lethal force was necessary to stop the threat. If he is high on PCP or some other drug bean bags, rock salt, or other nonlethal things will just make them mad. Petty theives beware, America is armed and you are the target once you step inside.

Now thats what I was looking for. Great reply, sounds like you are squared away sir:D

irish52084

Have to agree with 45acpForMe on the laser issue. They're something that I could see being useful, but I think a good flashlight is a better overall tool. That said there are some laser/light combos, but they're pretty expensive.

A plan of action is always good if you're taking the initiative to defend your family and home. My boys aren't really old enough to execute a home defense plan without parental help, so my options are limited.

We made a decision to get a dog a while back and made sure we go tone who was excellent with our children and also intimidating. Our dog, Gus, is probably the best deterrent to violence or theft we could have. He's big, scary looking and he alert growls and barks before he becomes protective. I work late, so having Gus around makes me feel a little better about my families safety when I'm not around. I think I read somewhere that a dog is your best deterrent to home break-ins and theft.

4angrybadgers

Primary HD weapon is a Remington 870 Express Youth 20ga (the youth size has a 1-2" shorter length of pull, so my wife can comfortably hold it). It's loaded with 2 3/4" #4 buckshot - 4 in the mag tube and 1 already in the chamber. If someone breaks in, I'm not gonna short myself a round and give away my position by racking one into an empty chamber.

My other option is my Springfield XD subcompact in .40S&W. It's loaded with 165gr Federal HSTs, 9 in the magazine and 1 in the chamber. It's also my daily carry weapon, so if I'm packing the XD then it'll hold me til I can get to my 870.

For reloads I have a few more boxes of shells, and a 12-round mag for the XD.

If I pick up the XD, I can grab my 3-D-cell LED Maglite with the other. It's REALLY BRIGHT. :D

Last edited: