Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying Handguns

Banned

Buying Handguns

Hey i was told you can be 18 to buy a handgun in Wisconsin and you can also open carry it. but then i googled it and it says mostly everywhere i looked that you have to be 21 to buy a handgun..but then it says you can only "posses" one at 18

Does anyone know what the laws are in wisconsin about this issue?

Thanks

I'm pretty sure you cant buy one if your under 21 but you can carry it if youre 18.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
    Thomas Jefferson

You'd have be at least 21 to buy from a licensed gun dealer. Don't know of any law in WI prohibiting a person 18 from buying a handgun in a private sale from a gun owner who isn't a licensed gun dealer.

Anyone else care to chime in?
    A. Gold

Failure to comply may result in discipline up to and including termination.
    The free man is a warrior. - Nietzsche "Twilight of the Idols"

Yep I heard and read the same. 18 to possess and 21 to buy handguns or ammo from a dealer. Should only be 18 for all, but I don't get to write the statutes. If I did, they would read a little different.
    Click Here for New to WI Open Carry Legal References and Informational Videos--- FAQ's http://Tinyurl.com/OpenCarry-WI

The Armed Badger A WI site dedicated to Concealed Carry in WI

"To disarm the people... was the best and most effectual way to enslave them." -- George Mason, Speech of June 14, 1788

http://Tinyurl.com/New-To-Guns to DL useful Info

Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    You'd have be at least 21 to buy from a licensed gun dealer. Don't know of any law in WI prohibiting a person 18 from buying a handgun in a private sale from a gun owner who isn't a licensed gun dealer.

Anyone else care to chime in?
    Thats the way I read it too.

Its 21 to buy from a licensed dealer....18 in a private transaction.
    18 to own/carry and/or hunt with.

LR Yote
    *NOTE: No Longer under the tyranny of Milwaukee County.

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    - Frank Outlaw

Quote Originally Posted by LR Yote 312 View Post
    Thats the way I read it too.

Its 21 to buy from a licensed dealer....18 in a private transaction.
    18 to own/carry and/or hunt with.

LR Yote
    I also agree

Golly, we're starting to think alike.

Quote Originally Posted by phred View Post
    I also agree

Get outta my head!

It is good to think alike as we can then accomplish more things!
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Quote Originally Posted by phred View Post
    I also agree

I don't think so Phred...
    But I think you are right

Regular Member Interceptor_Knight's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by freedomfighter View Post
    Hey i was told you can be 18 to buy a handgun in Wisconsin and you can also open carry it. but then i googled it and it says mostly everywhere i looked that you have to be 21 to buy a handgun..but then it says you can only "posses" one at 18

Does anyone know what the laws are in wisconsin about this issue?

Thanks
    Since the only time you may possess a handgun in WI under the age of 18 is while target practicing (not hunting) with your parent or someone appointed by them, by default you would not be able to purchase a handgun in WI unless you were 18. It is Federal law which prohibits you from purchasing a handgun from a FFL until you are 21. WI Statutes are silent on "purchase" so we are subject only to Federal law on transfers.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Interceptor_Knight View Post
    Since the only time you may possess a handgun in WI under the age of 18 is while target practicing (not hunting) with your parent or someone appointed by them, by default you would not be able to purchase a handgun in WI unless you were 18. It is Federal law which prohibits you from purchasing a handgun from a FFL until you are 21. WI Statutes are silent on "purchase" so we are subject only to Federal law on transfers.
    so then it would be better to have someone eles buy the gun and have them sell it to you?

so then it would be better to have someone eles buy the gun and have them sell it to you?
    No. No. NO!

That is the very definition of a prohibited “straw purchase”.

I am beginning to find your entire series of posts on this forum to be rather disturbing.

You implied you had a felony conviction as a 14-year old and now are asking about committing another felony in order to obtain a handgun.

All of freedomfighter’s posts are here.
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/search.php?searchid=46006
    (That link is to a "stale" query. If anyone is interested, go to the listing of all his posts yourself.)
    Last edited by Big Dipper; 01-27-2011 at 05:02 PM.

18 - 21 year old citizens may purchase handguns in private transactions in Wisconsin but what you are describing is a straw purchase which is illegal.

Also, if you were convicted of a felony at age 14 then you would generally be prohibited from purchase unless your rights had been restored.

You will NOT find advice here on how to break the law!

John

I also have to ask, what kind of felony conviction still lets you buy guns? I just don't know of any. Like John said, you could get your rights back, but I am under the impression that it is a long process.
    I would have thought that you would have been brought into "adult" court to get the felony charge?
    I thought I saw that you did get a long gun A few weeks back. Did you lie on the paperwork?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronS View Post
    I also have to ask, what kind of felony conviction still lets you buy guns? I just don't know of any. Like John said, you could get your rights back, but I am under the impression that it is a long process.
    I would have thought that you would have been brought into "adult" court to get the felony charge?
    I thought I saw that you did get a long gun A few weeks back. Did you lie on the paperwork?
    No i never lied most of what i ask is for information about laws not because those are my issues i just like to know everything i can so that if i am asked a certain question i will be able to give the right answer...i apperciate the help i get thanks for giving the info

You just tripped everyones "Oh Sh+t" Alarm.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot ???

LR Yote

- Frank Outlaw

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LR Yote 312 View Post
    You just tripped everyones "Oh Sh+t" Alarm.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot ???

LR Yote
    LOL yea i see that but like i said before, I like to ask alot of question, like how to buy guns and who can and cant get them and what is legal and illeagl to do with guns...so basically i am a person that likes INFO...

No i never lied most of what i ask is for information about laws not because those are my issues i just like to know everything i can so that if i am asked a certain question i will be able to give the right answer...i apperciate the help i get thanks for giving the info
    Hey I would try to help you out any chance I could. It just sounds to me like you are doing something wrong. A felon with guns? Sounds wrong to me.
    Just to remind you, the law does read this forum. An IP address can be looked up, very easy...
    I just hope it is all on the "up and up". Thats all.

LOL yea i see that but like i said before, I like to ask alot of question, like how to buy guns and who can and cant get them and what is legal and illeagl to do with guns...so basically i am a person that likes INFO...
    Interesting ....
    We like asking questions too.
    Some of which were answered pretty vaguely.

Your post history sheds some light.

LR Yote

- Frank Outlaw

Banned
    Hey I would try to help you out any chance I could. It just sounds to me like you are doing something wrong. A felon with guns? Sounds wrong to me.
    Just to remind you, the law does read this forum. An IP address can be looked up, very easy...
    I just hope it is all on the "up and up". Thats all.
    Yea and later on in life i will be asking questions that would make ppl think "oh he might be a felon" but i dont care i got to make sure i know everything i can before i "open carry" its a very serious thing

Yea...low post count, asking questions like were all just a bunch of gun totin' morons.

FreedomFighter= WAVE mole.

Nice try. But you sir, have been made.

-Landose-
    Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Regular Member paul@paul-fisher.com's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Landose_theghost View Post
    Yea...low post count, asking questions like were all just a bunch of gun totin' morons.

-Landose-
    Spartacus?

Quote Originally Posted by paul@paul-fisher.com View Post
    Spartacus?
    Negative.
    Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

-Landose-
    I have to agree with you once again Landose.

I am sure WAVE would love for us to help a felon get a gun. And it would get on every TV station in the State over night.
    Freedomfighter I am sorry if we have you all wrong, but you have to understand what kind of questions you are asking, and the people you are asking them to. You are the one that told us that you are a felon. We did not make that up, you posted it. If this is true, it is our responsibility to find out who you are, and report you for your "long gun" you told us you just got. On this forum, we do not break the law, we learn them and try to change them if we do not like them.
    So please feel free to let us know if this whole story is all messed up.

Banned

-Landose-
    Wave mole?? what is that a police officer? Im sry you feel that way.. thats why i signed up for this website was to ask questions and to give answers not every one knows every law or even most laws..yea i dont have many posts thats because i only post the questions that i have hard times finding answers too.

Banned
    I have to agree with you once again Landose.

I am sure WAVE would love for us to help a felon get a gun. And it would get on every TV station in the State over night.
    Freedomfighter I am sorry if we have you all wrong, but you have to understand what kind of questions you are asking, and the people you are asking them to. You are the one that told us that you are a felon. We did not make that up, you posted it. If this is true, it is our responsibility to find out who you are, and report you for your "long gun" you told us you just got. On this forum, we do not break the law, we learn them and try to change them if we do not like them.
    So please feel free to let us know if this whole story is all messed up.
    Let me get things staright i never said i was a felon..i said can a felon get a gun if he commited the crime at age 14 i wasnt talking about me you guys just assume that and when i said i got my long gun that had nothing to do with the crime i was just saying that because it was my first gun and i wanted ppl to know because i was happy i got it. however i did commit crimes when i was younger like most kids..if people dont like the questions i ask then dont reply to them..if i asked if i can open carry in a court house does that mean i plan on doing it? NO its just a question so you know what u can and cant do..before people start accusing ppl of being a mole get to know the person first.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast