• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What happened to that letter from L.O.C.A.L to law enforcement agencies?

estcrh

Any progress, did I miss something? Did it get sent yet? http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...LEO-encounter...-Confronted-at-gunpoint/page4

I will send you my email...

I sent Paul my email and phone number with the purpose of meeting with a few like minded people to discuss the possibilities of getting some kind of legal help ....a written opinion by an attorney maybe...some sort of guide to the statutes and rulings pertaining to a law enforcement officers ability to detain a person who is carrying a gun in a legal manner......possibly in a letter form which could be presented to the head of law enforcement agencies that do not know or care about how to properly handle open carry calls and situations etc...

anyone who is interested in meeting or contributing if we can get something going on this say something.

LOCAL is already putting together a letter to LEAs. In fact NRAMarine is helping pay for it's postage.

When you say that LOCAL is putting together a letter...is this letter addressing the rulings and statutes concerning the questioning and harassment of individuals who are open carrying legally? Is there an attorney involved with the writing and sending of this letter? Please let us know more details if possible.

I have only seen a rough draft of the letter. Others are working on it. Our President is putting final polishing on it and getting the final version nailed down. XD-Gem or someone else may know more about it than me

The letter from an attorney gives the offending party a chance to change their actions before things get out of hand. It gives law enforcement agencies something to consider, they can take it and discuss the information provided with their legal staff and possibly make changes to how they go about their business...its the step between doing nothing and a law suit. Law suit keeps getting tossed around like an old rag here but who is going to be the one to step up and get the ball rolling in court???? Sometimes people do compromise...stranger things have happened before.

That is what we hope to achieve with the letter from L.O.C.A.L. that's going out to all LEO agencies soon.

Wheels are in motion.

???????? As I said wheels are in motion. Just because you may not be directly involved doesn't mean things aren't happening. If you understood legal matters as you say, you would concede that details of this nature should not be put on display for all to see. Rest assured, actions are being taken. This is not over, however matters like this need to be handled with a certain level of discretion and must be done PRECISELY the first time.

sraacke

estcrh asked
Any progress, did I miss something?
Yes, you've missed a lot.
Why ask this question here on the OCDO board and not at the LOCAL forum ( http://www.laopencarry.org/index.php ) where we are discussing and handeling this?
Oh well, since we're here anyway...
Letters to every Parish Sheriff were sent out in October. A list of municipal police chiefs is presently being assembled for a similar mailing.

Actually, we are into round 3 of letter mailings. Round one in October got letters to all 64 Parish Sheriffs. Round two sent about 50 letters to the Chiefs of large Municipal agencies and departments where LOCAL members live in November. Round three is being done at the Febuary meeting. It will include letters to approx 200 LE agencies, from small municipal departments to University PDs and even the LA Fire Marshals and Louisiana Livestock Brand Commission Enforcement whose agents are commissioned LEOs. There are Constables and even City Court Marshals on this list.
We will be stuffing and stamping envelopes at our Febuary meeting for round three as well as handeling other issues such as working out details of having a table at the Kenner gunshow in June and participating in other public events. These mailings aren't free. Some of the cost is coming from our treasury funds (your dues at work). Other expenses are being donated. One member is donating 100 postage stamps. Another has bought the ink and printing supplies. Turbodog has been printing up the trifold info pamphlets we put in each envelope with each letter.
All of this and more is being discussed in the LOCAL forum and there are even photos there and at the LOCAL Facebook page.
Here's one of those photos, me sitting with my back to the camera (ink pen in my ear) and Turbodog facing the camera during round one or two as we are stuffing folded letters and trifolds into stamped envelopes.
lealetterb.jpg

There was another letter mailing which took place too. We sent out 20 letters to TV news directors across the state in December. It was similar to the letters we've sent to LEAs telling them about our organization and about the legality of OC and informing them of how they can learn more if they do any news stories on the subject in the future.
LOCAL is staying busy. We are making plans and getting the word out. We need your help. Come to the meetings if you can. Join as a dues paying member. Participate in our projects. Participate in our forum discussions.
Next meeting is Febuary 2, 2011.

Last edited:

estcrh

Thats great news, now my questions is ......why not tell people what you have accomplished? You could have asked for donations for this project also, not everyone wants to join an organization but that does not mean they would not donate to a worthy cause. By advertising your groups accomplishments you can only help yourselves and this is the perfect forum to reach people. I and other people on this forum did say that we would help bear the costs of sending a letter such as this. Also by publishing a list of the law enforcement agencies that have had this letter sent to them you may find out from forum members if there were any agencies that you might have missed or is an agency that received your letter has ignored the letter and is still harassing open carry advocates etc. Once again great work but by bypassing this forum your not reaching as wide of an audience as you otherwise could including out of state people who might donate to your worthy cause....Im just saying......

turbodog

Actually, we are into round 3 of letter mailings. Round one in October got letters to all 64 Parish Sheriffs. Round two sent about 50 letters to the Chiefs of large Municipal agencies and departments where LOCAL members live in November.

My bad, your right Yale. I typed out too quick, forgetting the 2nd round was completed.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Your posts re LOCAL are always appreciated - helps others to see what you are accomplishing.

sraacke

Thats great news, now my questions is ......why not tell people what you have accomplished? You could have asked for donations for this project also, not everyone wants to join an organization but that does not mean they would not donate to a worthy cause. By advertising your groups accomplishments you can only help yourselves and this is the perfect forum to reach people. I and other people on this forum did say that we would help bear the costs of sending a letter such as this. Also by publishing a list of the law enforcement agencies that have had this letter sent to them you may find out from forum members if there were any agencies that you might have missed or is an agency that received your letter has ignored the letter and is still harassing open carry advocates etc. Once again great work but by bypassing this forum your not reaching as wide of an audience as you otherwise could including out of state people who might donate to your worthy cause....Im just saying......
LOCAL does not claim to speak for all who Open Carry in this state just as all who Open Carry do not represent LOCAL. We have many projects in the pipeline and hope to represent Open Carry in the best light possible while doing so. As such, we conduct much of our business on the LOCAL forum where those who are not just OCers but members of our organization may participate. We regularly share some of the projects we are involved in and then there are things we choose to keep a little more private. Just like any other group.
Since the last post we had our Feb meeting and folded, stamped and mailed over 200 letters and pamphlets to Law Enforcement agencies.
localmeet2211b.jpg

leard3.jpg

Coming up, letters and pamphlets to more than 40 daily and weekly newspapers and local magazines. Oh and lots more law enforcement agencies we didn't get on the previous rounds.
We are still dropping off pamphlets at the entrance/exit tables at several gunshows such as shows in Kenner, Shreveport, Gonzales and Lake Charles.
gonzogunshowtable.jpg

Keep an eye out and you may even find our fliers and pamphlets posted on a public bulletin board where you shop or visit.
corkboard4.jpg

We are busy getting the word out. Not buy having MEMstyle armed marches on businesses or confronting soccer moms. We are doing what we can to inform everyone in sincere and rational ways. Join us if you like what we are doing.

sraacke

Your posts re LOCAL are always appreciated - helps others to see what you are accomplishing.

Thanks. I want to ensure that we are indeed doing our best to spread the word about Open Carry. I post the photos to help illistrate what I'm saying, (a picture is worth a thousand words). I hope that when people see the photos here or on our Facebook page they realize that we aren't, as MEM called us, a Meet/Eat/Retreat group but an active gun rights group focused on the education of as many people as possible.
I see Estrch had his post deleted/moderated. I'm not sure what was said but nothing in my posts is meant negatively against anyone and I hope he didn't take it that way. I do know that LOCAL may not be for everyone just as Open Carry is not for everyone. That is why I said that we don't claim to speak for all Open Carriers, only our members.
localbannera.jpg

Last edited: