• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CCW Questions

jer1981

Hey guys Iwas just curious about the background check for my CCW? I am in the service and have passed the NACLC background check. I wont state the reson on here but you probaly already have guess it. So my question is which is more in depth? Is it safe to say I will pass it with no problems or do they look into different things?

ZackL

I'm not sure what exactly an NACLC check looks into, but you will be denied a CCW if you've been convicted of a felony, domestic violence charge (the DV arrest may be enough, even if the case was dismissed as one of the members here is having an issue with currently), two alcohol related convictions in the last year (maybe two), if you're currently under investigation for a crime, or if you have a protection order taken out against you. Depending on which county you live in, there may be some discretion to deny a permit as some sheriffs are more anti-gun than others.

In general, I would think that if you can pass a federal and local check to get a security clearance (the extent of my knowledge on NACLC checks) you should be able to pass a CCW check. You may even have a quicker turn around as your prints are likely on file at least once and will be easier to match.*

* - Last two sentences are just my impressions and I am not an expert nor a lawyer, I just try to be informed. If anything I have said is incorrect, anyone with more knowledge please correct me and I will adjust or delete erroneous information.

Gunslinger

Hey guys Iwas just curious about the background check for my CCW? I am in the service and have passed the NACLC background check. I wont state the reson on here but you probaly already have guess it. So my question is which is more in depth? Is it safe to say I will pass it with no problems or do they look into different things?

The background check for a TS, single scope, is about 1000 times as thorough as the check for a CCW. If you have a TS or better clearance, you will pass in about 30 seconds, not counting queue time. Your check was probably for a Secret. Still, more detailed and you should have no problem.

Last edited:

Brass

" two alcohol related convictions in the last year (maybe two)..."

Actually, it's two alcohol related convictions in a rolling 10 year period.

since9

Campaign Veteran
The background check for a TS, single scope, is about 1000 times as thorough as the check for a CCW.

Well, it's a lot more thorough, yes. However, I've known folks with TS clearances who would not pass muster for a CHP.

If you have a TS or better clearance, you will pass in about 30 seconds, not counting queue time.

That's a safe bet. Of course it's 90 days here in Colorado... :)

Last edited: