• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HB 2005 - display and handout firearms laws pamphlet

Red Dawg

HB 2005 - Delegate LeMunyon - requires firearms shows, dealers, private sellers with a table to display and handout firearms laws pamphlet - VCDL Strongly Opposes

Help me understand why this is bad. I'm thinking on both sides. I think it good that the laws get out there to make a better informed public. AND I see where the antis would want to know what laws are there to try and write a law for more restriction where there isn't one. There are not usually many Anti's at a gun show...

Wondering why the VCDL Strongly Opposes.

Teach me Obi Wan

vt357

A. 1. The Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles, as part of its Virginia Vehicle Transaction Program, shall develop written materials suitable for distribution, and that may be printed on no more than two sides of an 8 1/2" x 14" sheet of paper, that set forth summaries of state and federal statutory law and reference the appropriate statutory citations addressing the purchase and possession of vehicles in the Commonwealth.

2. Each car dealer in and any other person that offers a car for sale, transfer, or exchange at booth, table, or any other fixed location at a car show shall prominently display a copy of the written materials described in subsection 1, and shall make copies of the written materials available for distribution to customers.

How does that sound? Should you have to keep multiple copies of the law on hand to give to any person who looks at your car for sale?

If they want to require that the laws be displayed at the entrance of a gun show, fine whatever (not that it will do anything). But requiring each private seller to post that sheet at every booth and keep copies for distribution is just a nuisance.

Honestly if a criminal is actually going to brave going to a gun show where there are dozens of police officers on the lookout for criminal activity and try to buy a gun, does anyone actually think that they will read that pamphlet and say "Oh shucks I guess I can't buy that gun after all." Oh wait, I'm applying logic. Sorry.

Red Dawg

vt: Makes sense. Was asking so I learn at how certain laws/would affect us. I agree, and if I read it correctly, it is more of a nuisance, than a BIG issue. But any stupid law or ordiance, well, is just stupid no matter it does, or how it really affects. Got it. Thanks...

The Wolfhound

beware of the teeth

This kind of "nuisance" law often ends up with "teeth" once the initial version fails to do the job the idiots thought it would do. Teeth as in criminal penalties for "non-compliance". Not sure if it is in this Mark 1, Mod 1 version but expect it to arrive in the future if this is not stopped. It is never about common sense. It is never about safety. It IS about control. It is about property rights. The other side will always look for a way to seem "only reasonable" while they chip away at your liberties while you are not watching.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
It's a nuisance, but it's also big-brotherism. It's the government adding one more toothless regulation that dictates how a businessman (gun-show promoter, gun dealer, etc.) satisfies his market. And providing this information does nothing to ensure the buyer reads it, so it's nothing but feel-good regulations. It's not education, it's infringement.

wylde007

I would like to know how they expect to get every firearm-relevant law on two sides of an 8½ x 11 sheet of paper.

I hope they hand out microfiche readers if they pass this insipid law.

vt357

I would like to know how they expect to get every firearm-relevant law on two sides of an 8½ x 11 sheet of paper.

I hope they hand out microfiche readers if they pass this insipid law.

Don't worry it will be on an 8½ x 14 sheet of paper. Just to make it more difficult for everybody, b/c who keeps that size paper around besides law firms?

p.publius

This has the Same Issue as the Mandated Insurance Buy in ObamaCare

The Government would be insisting that a business purchase (and give away for free) these tracts. A government mandate that forces someone to purchase and then dispose of their property without compensation is...

Unconstitutional

Don't you agree?

That is why it is strongly opposed.

wylde007

Don't worry it will be on an 8½ x 14 sheet of paper.
Oh, well that changes things completely.

Withdrawn.

I am, of course, just kidding.

BTW, I work at a surveying and engineering firm and we keep "legal" paper on hand for a great many reasons, not the least of which is plotting mortgage surveys to provide (you guessed it) to attorneys.