• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Plain English Answers Needed For a Young and Upcoming Open Carrier!

Eric Hill

Greetings Forum!

When I turned eighteen and bought my first firearm on my birthday. A Smith & Wesson M&P15.

I currently live in De Soto, Kansas (In Johnson County) and want to know if I can open carry a rifle for Kansas, Johnson County, De Soto, Olathe, Shawnee, Lenexa, and Lawrence as I frequently visit these cities.

All help, tips, advice, etc is much appreciated!

Thanks,
Eric

marine0300

Are you joking? Please do not go around open carrying a rifle. You will only hurt the open carry movement in KS.

Please elaborate more on your intent to open carry a rifle? When, where and how often for example.

Eric Hill

Are you joking? Please do not go around open carrying a rifle. You will only hurt the open carry movement in KS.

Please elaborate more on your intent to open carry a rifle? When, where and how often for example.

Not like taking my dog out for a walk or anything mediocre but passing through, not on a daily basis but if I do happen to be contacted by law enforcement, I'd like to know what my rights would be.

aadvark

Eric Hill:

I hope that Your Questions were Sufficiently Answered under my Aforementioned Post.

aadvark

Last edited:

cbpeck

Don't gotta like it, but here it is, right in the OCDO rules:

(14) LONG GUN CARRY IS OFF-TOPIC: This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life. We do NOT promote the carry of long guns. Long guns are great! OCDO co-founders John & Mike and most of the members of this forum own at least one long gun - but due to urban area issues of muzzle control, lack of trigger guard coverage, and the fact that the long gun carry issue distracts from our main mission to promote the open carry of handguns in daily life, we will leave long gun carry activism in the capable hands of the future founders of web sites about long gun carry.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/misc.php?do=showrules

I'm not gonna report ya! :banana:

Claytron

i agree that open carrying a rifle in most places is pretty extreme, but i could see it being useful if you spent a lot of time in the woods or near the woods and had decent size animals to worry about, but in the city environment i think its unnecessary and honestly seems like its less efficient in most situations.

But heres something i think is even worse and i didnt check the actual legality of it but maybe you guys can find something on it. I saw a video on youtube, the typical OC police interaction type of OC video, you guys know the type... and a guy was open carrying a firearm (revolver i think) in his hand walking down the street with a bright yellow reflective crossing guard type vest. When stopped he cited that his reason for carrying in hand was that in that specific city there was an ordinance stating open carry was not illegal, just that you could not carry a firearm openly in a holster.

Like i said i didnt check the legality but in the end the man was handed back his weapon and allowed to continue on his way so i thought that was very interesting.

LINK: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43rbjjZ0nUw

The action start at 4:00, not sure if the 4 minutes of driving has any audio worth listening to, its the dashcam of the third officer arriving on scene. Sometimes you see situations where 5 or sometimes even 10 cruisers show up for one person open carrying a holstered weapon, kind of strange that this guy is OCing it in his hand and only 3 show up.

wrightme

First, the rifle thing isn't a topic for this forum.

Second, how about that all things kwik are also not a topic for this forum.(belle meade)

Claytron

First, the rifle thing isn't a topic for this forum.

Second, how about that all things kwik are also not a topic for this forum.(belle meade)

Dude can you elaborate on that second comment? No idea what you are trying to say there.

Also i thought you should know that you have more than a few posts that are considered Off-Topic at this time. You have posts discussing bullets in the Missouri forum and any posts not directly related to Open Carry should be placed in the General forum. You seemed concerned about other people "breaking the rules" so i thought i would let you know that you are breaking them too, if you could take down those posts and repost them in the correct forum that would be great, thanks.

wrightme

Dude can you elaborate on that second comment? No idea what you are trying to say there.

Also i thought you should know that you have more than a few posts that are considered Off-Topic at this time. You have posts discussing bullets in the Missouri forum and any posts not directly related to Open Carry should be placed in the General forum. You seemed concerned about other people "breaking the rules" so i thought i would let you know that you are breaking them too, if you could take down those posts and repost them in the correct forum that would be great, thanks.

Re: Missourri forum, my posts were on the topic at hand, and if you feel it was not in keeping with the OC-nature of the website, feel free to report it. But, restrictions upon bullets are a topic of discussion under the 2A portion. Long gun OC is not a topic of discussion according to the site rules.

Re: Kwik, he is well-known in the TN state forum, and has been banned from OCDO.

Re: My posts. If you feel any of my posts are against the ruleset of this website, feel free to report them.

Claytron

Re: Missourri forum, my posts were on the topic at hand, and if you feel it was not in keeping with the OC-nature of the website, feel free to report it. But, restrictions upon bullets are a topic of discussion under the 2A portion. Long gun OC is not a topic of discussion according to the site rules.

Re: Kwik, he is well-known in the TN state forum, and has been banned from OCDO.

Re: My posts. If you feel any of my posts are against the ruleset of this website, feel free to report them.

I beg to differ with your comments regarding bullets:

(8) KEEP IT ON-TOPIC: All gun rights discussions not directly related to open carry should take place in the "General Discussions" forum and topics that are not related to gun rights at all should take place in "The Lounge". Please police your own posts before posting them and help keep OCDO strong and focused.

Seeing as how the discussion at hand was regarding ammunition and how they may be traced etc in the future, im sure you will agree that, per the rules, it is not directly related to open carry, unless you are implying that some ammunition is better suited in an open carried firearm? If you want to get real technical it may even belong in the lounge seeing as how you werent discussing "gun rights" but "ammunition rights". Wierd.

If you are this familiar with the rules you should know that because your "posts were on the topic at hand" doesnt make that topic OR your posts on that topic in accordance with the rules. Im not exactly a stickler for the rules but why go around citing the rules if you arent going to follow them yourself, right?

As far as this "kwik" guy goes i didnt see any rules against talking about someone who wasnt well liked.

wrightme

I beg to differ with your comments regarding bullets:

(8) KEEP IT ON-TOPIC: All gun rights discussions not directly related to open carry should take place in the "General Discussions" forum and topics that are not related to gun rights at all should take place in "The Lounge". Please police your own posts before posting them and help keep OCDO strong and focused.

Seeing as how the discussion at hand was regarding ammunition and how they may be traced etc in the future, im sure you will agree that, per the rules, it is not directly related to open carry, unless you are implying that some ammunition is better suited in an open carried firearm? If you want to get real technical it may even belong in the lounge seeing as how you werent discussing "gun rights" but "ammunition rights". Wierd.

If you are this familiar with the rules you should know that because your "posts were on the topic at hand" doesnt make that topic OR your posts on that topic in accordance with the rules. Im not exactly a stickler for the rules but why go around citing the rules if you arent going to follow them yourself, right?

As far as this "kwik" guy goes i didnt see any rules against talking about someone who wasnt well liked.

So, if it is a problem that you see, you should report that thread and see if the site owner agrees. :rolleyes: Arguing the point with me is, well, pointless.

Besides, as I believe that a discussion about ammo regulation is very relevant to 2A, it is "on topic." But, if you feel it is more appropriate to "General Discussion," feel free to, well, you know.

As for this thread topic? Given that this is a new poster, I personally felt that pointing out the off-topic nature was sufficient, and would be self-correcting. If you feel it needs more sanction, feel free to, well, once again, you know.

Last edited:

Claytron

So, if it is a problem that you see, you should report that thread and see if the site owner agrees. :rolleyes: Arguing the point with me is, well, pointless.

Besides, as I believe that a discussion about ammo regulation is very relevant to 2A, it is "on topic." But, if you feel it is more appropriate to "General Discussion," feel free to, well, you know.

As for this thread topic? Given that this is a new poster, I personally felt that pointing out the off-topic nature was sufficient, and would be self-correcting. If you feel it needs more sanction, feel free to, well, once again, you know.

Since when does it matter what you believe in regards to the rules? They arent exactly open for interpretation, they are rules. It states in the rules that the forum is for Open Carry SPECIFICALLY and then gun rights in general in the appropriate sections. This is not a 2A forum. Like i said im not really a stickler for the rules and i dont care either way, i was just pointing out thats its pretty lame to go around talking about people not following the rules when you arent following them yourself.

Talking about ammunition isnt related to Open Carry specifically but it was talking about our rights and/or future rights regarding ammunition. It belongs in the "General" forum. Not sure how to comment regarding what you said about not discussing this with you but instead just reporting it, because in my mind i ask myself why you did not just do the same yourself? Strikes me as odd. You say you were merely informing the )possibly) new poster that his thread was off topic and against the rules, i was just informing you likewise.

So dont take offense, i was just assisting you with the rules the same way you helped the new guy.

wrightme

Since when does it matter what you believe in regards to the rules? They arent exactly open for interpretation, they are rules. It states in the rules that the forum is for Open Carry SPECIFICALLY and then gun rights in general in the appropriate sections. This is not a 2A forum. Like i said im not really a stickler for the rules and i dont care either way, i was just pointing out thats its pretty lame to go around talking about people not following the rules when you arent following them yourself.
Huh? It "matters" in that my understanding of the rules does include ammo regulation as pertinent to OCDO. As such, I do not see a reason to report it as off-topic.
Claytron said:
Talking about ammunition isnt related to Open Carry specifically but it was talking about our rights and/or future rights regarding ammunition. It belongs in the "General" forum. Not sure how to comment regarding what you said about not discussing this with you but instead just reporting it, because in my mind i ask myself why you did not just do the same yourself? Strikes me as odd. You say you were merely informing the )possibly) new poster that his thread was off topic and against the rules, i was just informing you likewise.

So dont take offense, i was just assisting you with the rules the same way you helped the new guy.
Um, I do not need any assistance with the rules. I have no trouble with my interpretation. If you feel differently, you are free to handle your interpretation as you see fit.

Talking about open carry of a rifle is directly counter to a rule of this forum, and I chose my method of bringing it to the attention of a new forum member. You may choose a different method if you desire. Beyond that, your attempts to "help" me are definitely anything but. Why the unhealthy interest?

Claytron

Huh? It "matters" in that my understanding of the rules does include ammo regulation as pertinent to OCDO. As such, I do not see a reason to report it as off-topic.
Um, I do not need any assistance with the rules. I have no trouble with my interpretation. If you feel differently, you are free to handle your interpretation as you see fit.

Talking about open carry of a rifle is directly counter to a rule of this forum, and I chose my method of bringing it to the attention of a new forum member. You may choose a different method if you desire. Beyond that, your attempts to "help" me are definitely anything but. Why the unhealthy interest?

Blind, petty hypocrisy bothers me a bit. You say talking about "ammo regulation" is on topic because it involves "rights" but thats not what this forum is about. This forum is about open carrying a holstered handguns during daily life, specifically. So that means your talk about ammo belongs in the general discussion forum. Im not sure which part of any of this you feel is up to interpretation but it seems pretty cut and dry to me. If its not directly in regards to open carrying a properly holstered handgun, it belongs in the general discussion forum, thats the rule dude.

Like i said, blind, senseless hypocrisy just kind of sticks out to me. Its like telling someone "Stop swearing you FU**ER!!!!"... its just kind of silly and senseless.

And i guess in the end my question is this: Where exactly can this guy, or anyone else for that matter, go to get some information on open carrying a long gun? obviously carrying a long gun during "daily american life" for most people is going to be a bad idea, but some people are int he woods a lot and may run into large animals that could require something more than a handgun.

Anyone know any good places for info?

wrightme

Blind, petty hypocrisy bothers me a bit. You say talking about "ammo regulation" is on topic because it involves "rights" but thats not what this forum is about. This forum is about open carrying a holstered handguns during daily life, specifically. So that means your talk about ammo belongs in the general discussion forum. Im not sure which part of any of this you feel is up to interpretation but it seems pretty cut and dry to me. If its not directly in regards to open carrying a properly holstered handgun, it belongs in the general discussion forum, thats the rule dude.
As mentioned, if you feel that thread is in the incorrect forum, feel free to report it for movement. Since that thread was where it was, that is where I responded to the posts in it. :rolleyes:

Claytron said:
Like i said, blind, senseless hypocrisy just kind of sticks out to me.
It seems you are projecting.
Claytron said:
And i guess in the end my question is this: Where exactly can this guy, or anyone else for that matter, go to get some information on open carrying a long gun? obviously carrying a long gun during "daily american life" for most people is going to be a bad idea, but some people are int he woods a lot and may run into large animals that could require something more than a handgun.

Anyone know any good places for info?
I suppose you could start a web forum dedicated to that specific.