• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why would a college student need a gun?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
There is never anything wrong with advocating training and situational awareness. Please just consider that the antis frequently use the excuse that college students are young and frequently binge drink as arguments for why there should be blanket weapons bans on campus. Let's just be careful not give their arguments any traction within the gun rights community.

Though they have no trouble arming them and sending them halfway around the world in exercises of nation-building under fire.

Pretty twisted double standard if you ask me.

18 or less for military, 18 to OC, 21 for a permit - thank you for your service, but not in my neighborhood, you are too immature and irresponsible.

A legal gun owner/carrier must act responsibly and by stepping one foot (literally) onto campus they become irresponsible drunks whose maturity is ratcheted back a couple of notches - right?

SIGguy229

So, if as a 38-year old veteran, I decide to go back to college, I have to be lumped in with adults who just left home for the first time and must be treated like children? So I must be disarmed because of someone elses poor behavior and another's unhealthy fear of guns?

This is why this arbitrary rule needs to go away.

This isn't a new revelation for me, just stating the obvious for those who believe that college student = ages 18-21.

t33j

So, if as a 38-year old veteran, I decide to go back to college, I have to be lumped in with adults who just left home for the first time and must be treated like children? So I must be disarmed because of someone elses poor behavior and another's unhealthy fear of guns?

This is why this arbitrary rule needs to go away.

This isn't a new revelation for me, just stating the obvious for those who believe that college student = ages 18-21.

Yes.

University Administrations are willing to accept armed robberies, and assaults of students on and off campus. I can even recall a professor being assaulted and robbed at ODU maybe a year or two ago. It's disgusting.

ODU now offers a "safe ride" service that will take people with University IDs anywhere within a mile of campus as a lame excuse for a solution. It hasn't stopped the assaults and robberies. I guess it's the fault of those individuals for not taking advantage of the service offered by the University. (FYI, there are 20,000+ students at ODU)

Of course the service does nothing for anyone on campus who will still be at the mercy of someone intent on shooting students.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
ODU now offers a "safe ride" service that will take people with University IDs anywhere within a mile of campus as a lame excuse for a solution. It hasn't stopped the assaults and robberies. I guess it's the fault of those individuals for not taking advantage of the service offered by the University. (FYI, there are 20,000+ students at ODU)

So following the bus would be an excellent way to select an unarmed, off campus victim.
Got to [strike]love[/strike] hate their "solution.

nuc65

Activist Member
I believe 17 if you have a special exemption and parental "permission".

I believe the exemption is "high school diploma" though I am not certain. I was never recruited very aggressively. Go figure.

...or GED, and a reasonable score on the ASVAB (or whatever test they are giving now-a-days)

nuc65

Activist Member
Yes.

University Administrations are willing to accept armed robberies, and assaults of students on and off campus. I can even recall a professor being assaulted and robbed at ODU maybe a year or two ago. It's disgusting.

Of course the service does nothing for anyone on campus who will still be at the mercy of someone intent on shooting students.

It removes the campus administration from the loop, so that now you are once again responsible for your own self-defense. Not that you can because you were administratively dis-armed to be legal, but hey it isn't the College/University's problem anymore you are now outside their bailiwick.

nova

"Don't fight back! Just give them what they want!"

but...what if it is your life they want? :question:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
It removes the campus administration from the loop, so that now you are once again responsible for your own self-defense. Not that you can because you were administratively dis-armed to be legal, but hey it isn't the College/University's problem anymore you are now outside their bailiwick.

Along the same line of reasoning wherein off campus crime is NOT tabulated nor reported in their crime stats. VCU, as an example, has much reduced crime on campus because every time you step onto a city sidewalk you are off campus - city streets and sidewalk literally lace the "campus" - block after block of concrete campus. Even walking to the VCU main police station will take you blocks away off campus. White wash should be so cheap!